Graduate cGPA & sGPA 3.7 from Hopkins, but overall GPA still below a 3.0. Being screened out from schools and losing hope. What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdtobhopefully

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is my first post, so please be nice, for I'm already so ashamed of my awful academic record. I'm having a very difficult time applying to medical schools. I went to UMichigan for undergrad and did awful. My dad was diagnosed with cancer and died and with a slew of other problems, I struggled academically.

I went to Johns Hopkins for graduate schools where I took 48 credits of science/public health/clinical studies. I graduated with a 3.7 c and sGPA, however, my overall cGPA is a 2.75 still. I'd have to take years more classes to raise my cumulative GPA to above a 3.0, along with my science GPA.

I don't pass the screening requirements for many schools, including DO. I've reached out to admissions committees but half of them have said that their GPA minimums are hard requirements and that they don't make any exceptions.

I have outstanding extracurriculars. I've done 4 years of clinical research (IVF clinical and National Center for Patient Safety Fellowship), I have great letters of rec (2 Hopkins profs/MDs, a pharmacist I work with, my research PI, research co-sponsor, the camp director of a cancer camp I've spent my summers at for the past 10 years and help run, my academic advisor, and an anesthesiology DO). I did a summer program at Harvard Med. I have 18,000 clinical hours between working in healthcare, research, and volunteering, 7,000 non-clinical, and ~100 shadowing hours. I will be published by the end of the year as a primary author and am co-authoring several other papers, however, these will have to be on update letters, not my primary app. I am NOT an UMR, but I am SES disadvantaged and a first gen.

I take my MCAT 7/18 (been canceled 4 times now), but shooting for a 515 (I've been scoring much higher on practice exams).

I truly feel I have done everything in my power to make myself applicable for medical schools. I have a strong, cohesive story that highlights my drive for medicine and thousands of hours to back this up. At this point, I'm heartbroken that I'm not even receiving secondaries from DO schools. Besides my GPA, I feel as if my application is very solid and I honestly don't know what else to do to build it up.

I'm obviously applying to all of the GPA "forgiving" schools (ones that look at your most recent grades), but those are far and few between.

What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

How many credits would you need to raise your cGPA to a 3.0?

Sorry to hear about your dad. Was your graduate program a special masters program (SMP) or just a regular graduate program? This year is unfortunate when it comes to having the MCAT before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about your dad. Was your graduate program a special masters program (SMP) or just a regular graduate program? This year is unfortunate when it comes to having the MCAT before applying.

It was a Masters of Science, not an SMP.

With the GPA minimum being what it is, I think your best course of action would be to take postbac classes to get to a 3.0 The good news is that since it is your cGPA not all of those classes need to be science courses. An SMP would be an option but I’m not sure it would help you get around the GPA minimum. Have you read through a thread called “Goro’s advice for premeds who need reinvention?” If not, that would be a good place to start.

Reactions: 1 users
It was a Masters of Science, not an SMP.
Direct linkage SMP sounds like a bet. Here's the link to Goro's thread

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like you're about 40 credits at a 4.0 away from being over 3.0. Thats not terrible, thats like 14 classes. I took 35 credits over the last 1.5 years while working full time, you can definitely get that done if you do summer school too. I'm sorry that this is causing you to delay your application further, I know how annoying it is to be out of college for a while and still not feel like you've started your life.

Are you a Michigan resident? Wayne state is gonna be your 100% goal, as they forget undergrad grades and only look at post-baccs after you have achieved 24 credits.

I think you have a lot of great experience and will look great if you can get your application though the door.

It looks like you're about 40 credits at a 4.0 away from being over 3.0. Thats not terrible, thats like 14 classes. I took 35 credits over the last 1.5 years while working full time, you can definitely get that done if you do summer school too. I'm sorry that this is causing you to delay your application further, I know how annoying it is to be out of college for a while and still not feel like you've started your life.

Are you a Michigan resident? Wayne state is gonna be your 100% goal, as they forget undergrad grades and only look at post-baccs after you have achieved 24 credits.

I think you have a lot of great experience and will look great if you can get your application though the door.

I am in Michigan and have applied there! Michigan State also does that. Thank you!

Hi there. I wanted to say don’t lose hope! If it makes you feel any better, I have a worse CGPA than you. :) I will need to do a second bachelor’s degree to raise my gpa to 3.2.

It’s a long road to medical school from a low gpa, but if I can do it, you can do it. Hang in there. You will get there. Just take things one day at a time, even one hour at a time if need be. And as hard as it can be, be gentle with yourself!

A lot. I have a 2.75 cGPA with about 160 undergraduate credits.

I don't have any advice, just solidarity. I have a low GPA, and a TON of credits. I'd have to do basically another complete UG degree to raise my GPA meaningfully. I'm hoping schools will see my upward trend, and that I was working a LOT, and have other good strengths to my application (research, work experience, volunteering). I have no D's, F's, or W's - just 3 C's and lots of B's in my science courses. At the time (many many years ago), it was good enough for me. I graduated with honors. I even got a B in orgo while working full time (at a job that required frequent travel), 8 or 9 years after I'd taken gen chem! Anyway, you aren't alone. Chin up, eyes on the prize!

Last edited:
You have my exact GPA stats (even the secondary program grades bringing you to a 2.7 cgpa) though my EC is nonexistent or may as well be compared to yours :p

My plan is to blitz random classes at CC (intro to hispanic literature, anyone?) until my cum gets to 3.0. These random art classes are what got my GPA down in the first place, as my STEM grades are pretty much all A's.