What DO schools take into account graduate GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SturdyDoc_19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to research schools that will take a graduate GPA into account. I have found vaguely that some do and some don't, but I am having trouble figuring out which schools specifically.

I graduated undergrad with a cGPA of 3.3X and sGPA of 2.9X as calculated in the AACOMAS. I know that my GPA is one of the biggest things that has been holding me back the last two application cycles. I am currently enrolled in a Graduate Certificate Program that is associated with my number one school but, on the off-chance that it doesn't work out, I'd like to know what other schools I have the best chance at, taking into account my graduate GPA. I currently have a 4.0 in the program, and it is looking as though that trend will continue.

Does anyone happen to know what schools would most heavily take into account my improved GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been trying to research schools that will take a graduate GPA into account. I have found vaguely that some do and some don't, but I am having trouble figuring out which schools specifically.

I graduated undergrad with a cGPA of 3.3X and sGPA of 2.9X as calculated in the AACOMAS. I know that my GPA is one of the biggest things that has been holding me back the last two application cycles. I am currently enrolled in a Graduate Certificate Program that is associated with my number one school but, on the off-chance that it doesn't work out, I'd like to know what other schools I have the best chance at, taking into account my graduate GPA. I currently have a 4.0 in the program, and it is looking as though that trend will continue.

Does anyone happen to know what schools would most heavily take into account my improved GPA?
While schools occasionally take grad GPA into account, it won't make up for a sh*tty performance in the pre-reqs/sGPA. If you can't handle the pre-reqs, then you seriously need to reconsider your options. It's a screening process designed to help you find out if you are a good fit.

A lot of schools screen out sGPA <3.0 so you need to do a post-bacc and get your undergrad GPA up as high as possible before attempting to apply again.

What is your MCAT score?

While schools occasionally take grad GPA into account, it won't make up for a sh*tty performance in the pre-reqs/sGPA. If you can't handle the pre-reqs, then you seriously need to reconsider your options. It's a screening process designed to help you find out if you are a good fit.

A lot of schools screen out sGPA <3.0 so you need to do a post-bacc and get your undergrad GPA up as high as possible before attempting to apply again.

What is your MCAT score?
I received an F in a very important pre-req the first time I took it, which set me back hard. Not long after, the professor was fired for grading inconsistencies, but I was unaware of the grade appeal process at that time and it was before 2017 (when they switched from replacing grades to averaging them in GPA calculation), so I decided that I would just retake the class the next time it was available. At that point, I had completed all of my pre-reqs except for that one and was only able to take a few upper-division classes without it, so I ended up in classes that I wasn't yet ready for. There are several classes that I did poorly in but, once I retook them, I did well. I had a decent GPA with replacements, but it takes a lot of hours to make up for a bad average.

My MCAT is a 502, which I realize isn't ideal and certainly doesn't make up for my low GPA, but it at least gives me a shot at DO schools, based on what I have read in other threads. I know that I have what it takes, and I will keep fighting for it until I get there. Even without the grad program and a 500 on my MCAT, I received one interview. Unfortunately, I ended up on the WL and with an R. I realize that I'm in a tight spot, but I have already submitted my application for this cycle. I am trying to figure out what schools I should add that might recognize my grad GPA as an improvement that shows promise.