Graduate classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are graduate classes counted or factored in when applying to schools?

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
How are graduate classes counted or factored in when applying to schools?

They are separate - part of your "Graduate GPA" which has a AO and BCMP component too.

exmike said:
They are separate - part of your "Graduate GPA" which has a AO and BCMP component too.

What does AO stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
can classes taken in graduate school be used to meet prerequisites?

for ex. some schools require biochemistry, which in many schools is a 400 level course that can be taken by undergraduates and graduates; if a graduate student takes biochemistry, can this be used to meet the prereq?

hmm. are you sure about the separation into AO and BCMP?

Mine wasn't separated in two but now that I think of it, all my classes would probably be counted as BCMP, so maybe that's why.

But yeah grad gpa is separate from UG. and if you do any postbac the amcas gives you a UGPA with and without the postbac . . . its actually really confusing haha

Depends on when you take them.

Grad classes during undergrad -> counts towards undergrad GPA

Grad classes while not enrolled in grad school (part of informal post-bacc) -> counts towards undergrad GPA (post-bacc GPA)

Grad classes during grad school -> counts towards grad GPA

What does AO stand for?

"All Other"

hmm. are you sure about the separation into AO and BCMP?

Mine wasn't separated in two but now that I think of it, all my classes would probably be counted as BCMP, so maybe that's why.

But yeah grad gpa is separate from UG. and if you do any postbac the amcas gives you a UGPA with and without the postbac . . . its actually really confusing haha

It is pretty confusing, I was a little annoyed that I didn't get a Total BCPM that included my Graduate BCPM classes but postbac classes counted toward the Undergraduate cumulative GPAs. Anyways, this is what it looks like for anyone who's wondering:

VGPA.jpg

So...basically your UG GPA never goes away? My UG GPA is not the best, but it's not ridiculously bad either...if I were to go to grad school (for...say a PhD)...how much would they care about my UG GPA, provided my grad GPA was 3.7+? Because I'm starting to lean towards this as my re-app strategy for a 3rd application (in case that happens).

So...basically your UG GPA never goes away? My UG GPA is not the best, but it's not ridiculously bad either...if I were to go to grad school (for...say a PhD)...how much would they care about my UG GPA, provided my grad GPA was 3.7+? Because I'm starting to lean towards this as my re-app strategy for a 3rd application (in case that happens).

UG GPA would still be given quite a bit of weight. Sure, a graduate GPA near a 4.0 might show adcoms you're capable but the UG will still be there glaring back at you. (3.7 is very much average for grad students, btw; which is why you need much closer to a 3.9+ to stand out grade-wise and really grades don't matter much at that pt anyway; it's much, much more about your research productivity.) You could do an SMP but you have to do extremely well in an SMP or you've basically permanently ruined your chances. You might also consider DO if you get rejected again this cycle.

You could move to Texas and do their fresh start program.

The consensus is that grad degrees are generally looked at as the same level as a good extracurricular, if you ugrad GPA is low it will still be an issue. And you may run into an issue of looking like a undecisive serial student, you would have to have a pretty good reason why you want to get another terminal degree instead of investing the time in post doc experiences.

Have you looked at SMPs? Especially ones where you are competing directly with med students. As long as your ugrad GPA is above a 3.0 or so doing great in them can be what convinces adcoms that you can handle med school.

Depends on when you take them.

Grad classes during undergrad -> counts towards undergrad GPA

Grad classes while not enrolled in grad school (part of informal post-bacc) -> counts towards undergrad GPA (post-bacc GPA)

Grad classes during grad school -> counts towards grad GPA

:thumbup:

UG GPA would still be given quite a bit of weight. Sure, a graduate GPA near a 4.0 might show adcoms you're capable but the UG will still be there glaring back at you. (3.7 is very much average for grad students, btw; which is why you need much closer to a 3.9+ to stand out grade-wise and really grades don't matter much at that pt anyway; it's much, much more about your research productivity.) You could do an SMP but you have to do extremely well in an SMP or you've basically permanently ruined your chances. You might also consider DO if you get rejected again this cycle.

Thanks, I think this is certainly something to consider...