Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Graduate Classes

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by stookie, Dec 6, 2005.

1. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can I take graduate classes, like biology class and not be enrolled in a degree program? Would this fly with adcoms or not?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BOBODR

BOBODR Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am doing this now. Just a class or two a semester in biology and not in a degree seeking program. I dont see why adcoms would care, it prolly wont help you as much as post-bacc classes. Lets be honest , medical schools care about their g.pa. averages, and masters classes dont help that. So they may give masters classes less weight. IMO.

4. Sundarban1

Sundarban1 Devil in disguise
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you are not in a degree program, what is the sense of taking graduate classes over undergraduate classes? They are not counted in your GPA.

5. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That makes sense, but I would like the adcoms to see that I can handle graduate course work. So should I just work on raising my gpa?

6. Sundarban1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you need to raise your GPA take post bacc classes or if you want you can even take upper level courses at the undergraduate level (genetics, molecular biology etc.) Taking graduate school classes with no intention of getting a degree is not impressive.

If you are in a special masters program that is a different story because you take classes with medical students. So, no I would not just take graduate courses for the hell of it. I would either look into special master's programs or post bacc classes.

7. LooKing4Ward

LooKing4Ward Member
    5+ Year Member

how about taking grad classes as an undergrad?

8. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I do need to raise my GPA. Does anyone know how I can figure out how many credits I need to take to raise my GPA to a 3.5? I have a 2.86 GPA now, and by the time i graduate in May my GPA should close to 3.0. How does one go about calculating their GPA?

9. Sundarban1

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your GPA is simply the amount of credit hours divided by the number of credits. Say for example you take one semester of genetics worth 4 credits and you receive an A in the course. Therefore, your GPA would be the 16 credit hours (because you received an A) divided by the number of credits (4) and your GPA is 4.0.

On your transcript you should have a total GPA with the number of credits and credit hours already calculated. Therefore, to calculate how many classes you need to raise to 3.5 (science or overall) just simply add factors of 16 to the number of credit hours you already have and also add 4 credits/16 credit hours to your total credits...I have a feeling it should be well over 40 credits (assuming A's in the classes)...so, you have your hands full. All of this is assuming you are going to be taking 4 credit science courses.

10. Lindyhopper

Lindyhopper Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

It seems like the OP is probably better off in undergrad courses. Also I don't really know how Adcom view grad courses & suggest that people speak to med school admission advisors.
    But I'm in master program in Bio at CUNY Hunter. I know quite a few non-matrics. in our courses who are appling to med school. It just seems like the quality of education is significantly higher than undergrad courses. For some people I think it has to be a worthwhile option.