irule285

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
If you have to go to grad school ( SMP at Masters in biomedical sciences at Robert wood johnson Medical school) after undergrad to work on your gpa which won is considered more in the MD application ?

Also if you have a undergrad gpa of 3.5 (science gpa of 3.4) and an graduate school gpa of 3.8, what kind of schools do you have a shot at ? The MSRAR only has undergrad gpa posted so I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Graduate GPAs are not calculated into cGPA by MD schools (although they are for DO).

That said, MD schools that reward reinvention do look at good GPAs from SMP or post-bacs (informal or formal).

If you have to go to grad school ( Masters in biomedical sciences) after undergrad to work on your gpa which won is considered more in the MD application ?

Also if you have a undergrad gpa of 3.5 (science gpa of 3.4) and an graduate school gpa of 3.8, what kind of schools do you have a shot at ? The MSRAR only has undergrad gpa posted so I'm a bit confused.

Reactions: gyngyn

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
SMP GPA are not a direct enhancement of UG GPA. It wont somehow recalculate AMCAS GPAs. Rather a "strict" SMP (ie medicallevel coursework) is an "audition" to show that the applicant can successfully perform at that level. Other preprofessional masters are not necessarily this strict. In either case, the applicant must make their success in these programs clear to each medical school in primary and secondary application

OP
I

irule285

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
SMP GPA are not a direct enhancement of UG GPA. It wont somehow recalculate AMCAS GPAs. Rather a "strict" SMP (ie medicallevel coursework) is an "audition" to show that the applicant can successfully perform at that level. Other preprofessional masters are not necessarily this strict. In either case, the applicant must make their success in these programs clear to each medical school in primary and secondary application
I understand. I think I should make my question a bit more clear.
My application would look better with a 3.8 gpa in SMP + 3.5 undergrad compared to just having a 3.5 undergrad gpa without an SMP (assuming everything else is fine) ?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I understand. I think I should make my question a bit more clear.
My application would look better with a 3.8 gpa in SMP + 3.5 undergrad compared to just having a 3.5 undergrad gpa without an SMP (assuming everything else is fine) ?
yes

Reactions: Goro