Graduate non thesis science courses vs Undergraduate Science coures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalLonghorn2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

For those who did master programs, what exactly is the difference between the basic sciences (immuno, physio, neuro, etc) in grad school compared to undergrad? From what I was told, grad school is harder than undergrad because they ask for the little details but differently (basically, more memorization?). I understand that there are exit level exams you must take to get your degree. I was also told that grad level courses were both harder AND easier than the sciences in dental school (Not sure how).
From your experiences, what makes them harder/easier?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

-

Last edited:
I actually thought grad classes were easier than undergrad cause you learn how to really understand what is going on. There is a lot less memorization and a lot more conceptual understanding. I hated classes in undergrad that were purely memorization cause I didn't retain the material as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are asked to do more work than undergrads in the same course. You might get a special project that undergrads don't have to take on like writing research papers or giving presentations.

Really? Non thesis programs have research papers to write?I thought that was only exclusive for thesis programs?

I actually thought grad classes were easier than undergrad cause you learn how to really understand what is going on. There is a lot less memorization and a lot more conceptual understanding. I hated classes in undergrad that were purely memorization cause I didn't retain the material as well.

What did you do your masters in if you dont mind me asking?

Im not in a masters program, but the graduate students in my class usually have to write a paper that we dont have to or do an individual presentation rather than a group presentation. Im not sure if others work differently/the same.

Usually the classes are all about reading those journal articles... Theres not much to memorize. Its all about applying it and problem solving.

What did you do your masters in if you dont mind me asking?

My master's was in Biology, though my thesis was on neurobiology/orofacial pain. I agree with other people's sentiments though. In master's classes you have to present by yourself typically, rather than in a group, which is actually a lot easier than group presentations. You spend most your time reading research articles in classes. I hated doing that at first because I was bad at it. Now I can pick up a paper and typically know in 5 minutes or less if the science is good or bad. Hint: lots of science conducted today is bad. I honestly think more people should do thesis-based master's degrees (I have no experience with non-thesis classes) because I'm much more analytical and understand science much better than anyone I know who just got an undergrad degree and went to dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. Only thing is I did non-thesis and just took more classes than the thesis. Honestly, I was more well-rounded and also only took me a year vs 2 years or more for thesis. They dont take many thesis students that are going to prof. school in my program

I agree. Only thing is I did non-thesis and just took more classes than the thesis. Honestly, I was more well-rounded and also only took me a year vs 2 years or more for thesis. They dont take many thesis students that are going to prof. school in my program

I see.
Is it really less memorization in a non thesis program like what Tourdeteeth said? Or is that only for thesis classes?

-

Last edited:
Graduate level courses, regardless if you have a thesis project or not, will have the same level of memorization as undergraduate courses, but with more work (presentations, writing papers, etc.).

Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying dyesht and everyone!