Graduate or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DKingsmore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior one semester away from completing my BS in biology. My problem is I have a very subpar gpa (2.53) and a 53 comp PCAT. I have volunteered in a hospital, done some community service, member of the health club, and a 4 year letterman in baseball. I have applied to multiple pharm schools but I'm not too optimistic at this point. Saying i do not get accepted anywhere. My question is should I complete my degree, retake the PCAT and hope for the best next year or postpone graduating and retake some classes I could do better in and graduate a semester later? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

My gpa is also not what I'd have liked it to be, but I did make up for it with a competitive PCAT score. I'd definitely suggest retaking it for a higher score to help offset the weak spot. As for retaking classes or taking new ones to bring up your gpa.. I don't know how much an extra semester or two will help. I had considered doing the same thing, but I already had a lot of undergrad hours completed so even having a 4.0 for an extra year would not have raised it much. Your situation may be different, but you also have to ask yourself if you're able to pull off a solid A or A/B semester, or if it would turn out to be another mediocre semester.. I don't know your specific grade trends, but you should have a better idea of what you think you're capable of than me :) Another thing to consider is if you would want to work in the meantime. The job market is still pretty rough for new graduates. Do you have something lined up, or could you get a pharm tech job for extra experience to help out your application? Also, where did you apply to this cycle? You have better odds if you applied to a wide variety of schools, and to newer schools that aren't fully accredited.. might be something to keep in mind for next cycle if this one is fruitless.
Keep your head up in any case. I think with a higher PCAT score, and additional experience in a pharmacy you'll have a decent shot next cycle. I wasn't very optimistic either, but having one weak spot on your application is not the end of the world. Good luck, and I hope something in this rambling post helps you :)

I heard from some people that it is harder to take classes at community college after you have a degree. I guess they give class seat to their students first.

You can try to go master degree or taking additional classes. I do not know if you have an upward trend for your GPA. If you do, that would help you prove your ability to perform well in classes. Definitely get above 80 for PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i were in your situation i would retake classes i needed to, retake the pcat again, and then take some more science courses and do well in them to prove you'll be ok in pharm school. if you were to retake some courses which ones would they be? did you have an increasing grade trend?

I don't really have an upward trend due to missing about 20% of my classes in each spring semester because of baseball. I get a lot of Bs each fall and a lot of Cs each spring. Should I have included that in my personal statement? It kind of seems like an excuse and I didn't want them to think I was trying to justify my poor grades. I have no Ds just As Bs and Cs and the classes I would be retaking are mainly easier courses like Med Term, and Gen Chem. I should be able to pull As in both of those. Thanks.