Graduate programs in Systems Neuroscience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wuhanese

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. My interest is in manipulating/understanding the function of neural circuits at the level of single neurons. This translates to experiments using techniques in electrophysiology, optogenetics, optics, etc.

I'm an international applicant currently studying in the states, and I'm applying to MSTP programs. My question is how do these schools fare, in terms of PIs, resources, and program: Emory, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Sinai, UChicago, Upenn, UVA, Mayo.

It's very hard for me to filter through hundreds of names on their list and I just like some classified information : )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys. My interest is in manipulating/understanding the function of neural circuits at the level of single neurons. This translates to experiments using techniques in electrophysiology, optogenetics, optics, etc.

I'm an international applicant currently studying in the states, and I'm applying to MSTP programs. My question is how do these schools fare, in terms of PIs, resources, and program: Emory, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Sinai, UChicago, Upenn, UVA, Mayo.

It's very hard for me to filter through hundreds of names on their list and I just like some classified information : )

i'm not sure if you are limited geographically or not--it seems not as the schools you listed are sometimes far far apart... the schools you listed are not well known for systems neuroscience. the major powerhouses in systems neuroscience are from West to East, UCSF UCSD/Salk, UCLA/Caltech, stanford, wash u, harvard/mit, columbia, nyu, duke. penn has a few people but not a particularly large center. Sinai has the new dept chair who does optogenetics.

I think if you are serious about optogenetics you should aim for my list of schools many of which accept international students. If not perhaps you can go for schools close to Jenalia Farm and do your phd there. I think people in the new Max Planck in Miami are also doing optogeneics, so you might want to consider MDPhD at UMiami.

hey thanks for the fast reply. im not limited geographically, but i prefer big cities (secondary to getting into a program first). i actually did optogenetic work at janelia farm and im currently doing some right now in another lab. i applied to many of the schools you listed (im canadian so i cant apply to all of them) but i just wanted to know if those programs had people working in neural circuits, since i havent heard of anyone that works on those branches of neuro. thanks for the heads up!

i will definitely research more into the mdphd umiami. german guys tend to do amazing neuroscience work - very quantitative people haha. do you also know the names of those in penn? i dont know which programs you are referring to that are close to DC - were you thinking of NIH?

Last edited: