Graduated 2021 and applying 2023, but lost on what to do. Need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

californiapremedical

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated from a prestigious UG in 2021. I had severe mental health issues (depression, anxiety) as a result of family having substance abuse problems for all of college and didn't perform at my best. I had to take care of them, strained relationship, etc.

Thankfully I feel much better but I don't know where to start to get my application in order - I feel like I have so many holes right now.

cGPA: 3.65, sGPA: 3.6

MCAT: Haven't taken yet.. but can likely get 520+ (I have taken a 517 Kaplan practice test but due to life circumstances never took it...stupid I know)

Research: 2000 hours, no pubs/posters/presentations, will be 4000 by June 2023. I work as a wet lab researcher for a T10 med school. All hours after graduating.

Clinical experience: 0 (!!!!)

Clinical volunteering: 0

Shadowing: 0

Volunteering: ~200 hours betwee clubs, philanthropy in greek life, small things.

ECs: VP of three clubs, TA for a drug harm reduction for class college students

Narrative: I want to tie in my passion for those undergoing addiction and mental health issues but don't know how. I want to start volunteering at a rehab clinic perhaps?

My Plan in the next year:

- kick the MCAT's ass

- Publication, hopefully 2 (Should I quit to scribe full time after publishing / ~3000 hours?)

- Start scribing ~10hours a week

- start volunteering at a substance abuse place... how many hours do I need?

- Get to 100 shadowing hours in 4+ specialties

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming this isn’t Calipremed making a return to the forums,

I would say that your biggest need is getting clinical exp and clinical volunteering.

Don’t mention substance abuse or mental illness on your application. Unfortunately, there is still a stigma in medicine

Reactions: 1 user
Glad to hear you’re at a better place now.

You need clinical experience, shadowing and non-clinical volunteering. Not only for your application but to see if you actually want to pursue medicine and become a physician. From what you have shared so far, you seem more suited to be a PhD student.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming this isn’t Calipremed making a return to the forums,

I would say that your biggest need is getting clinical exp and clinical volunteering.

Don’t mention substance abuse or mental illness on your application. Unfortunately, there is still a stigma in medicine
I won't mention mental illness in relation to myself. However I do plan on mentioning substance abuse in family members as it was an important part of my upbringing. Also slightly good to have a sob story haha

Reactions: 1 user
I won't mention mental illness in relation to myself. However I do plan on mentioning substance abuse in family members as it was an important part of my upbringing. Also slightly good to have a sob story haha
That is probably okay but don’t mention your own substance abuse. I sort of had to because of a red flag related to substances and it defintely hurt me this cycle .

I think that you need to start with some shadowing including primary care providers (who do provide substance abuse diagnosis, treatment, and referrals) as well as other practioners in the field of addiction services.

Really think about whether medicine is the right route for you or if you could accomplish your goals with a degree (and then a license) in clinical psychology or clinical social work, or as an addiction counselor. (See What is an Addiction Professional? for information on the steps recommended for this route). You may be able to reach your goal of serving individuals and families with addiction disorders by a shorter and more direct route than the 9 years or so it may take to be an attending physician.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.