Graduated in 2019- experienced burnout and only now fully gained my perspective back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrinceElvis97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Here is my story:

I graduated from UCLA in 2019 with a bachelor's in Biology (3.83 GPA and a 3.76 BCPM GPA). I was initially scheduled to take my MCAT in March of 2020; however, due to the onset of the COVID pandemic and the ensuing lockdown, my MCAT was canceled and kept getting canceled for the following months. However, I still wanted to apply to certain medical schools (around 6 MD/DO) that were offering conditional interviews and acceptances for students without an MCAT score (provided a minimum score was obtained by January 2021 if given a conditional acceptance).

PCOM PA was one such school that was very close to my home and was my top choice. I was fortunate to receive an interview and an acceptance to this school in October; however, I was so burnt out from studying for the MCAT for a whole year that I just couldn't take the exam. At the same time, the impact of covid was very real in my family with a few family members passing away. All of this was just too much to handle and I needed to step away and address some personal well-being concerns. As a result, I couldn't pay my necessary deposit and accept the admissions offer by December.

I made the difficult decision to take time away from medicine, and work and be independent while still being involved actively in my community ( which is very important to me). During this time, I tried studying for the MCAT multiple times but it was just difficult to study and it wasn't happening. It took quite some time (years), but I feel I am a more mature, complete individual/ applicant now and want to fully commit to my dream of becoming a physician. I have been studying hard the past few months and am excited to take my exam this coming May! I also resumed shadowing too and it's all fitting together again.

I want to have the opportunity to be considered at this school again and medical school in general; however, I am worried that my reason for taking time away from my initial acceptance will be a red flag to schools. What would be appropriate for me to say/ not say? I really care a lot about this and want to do this.

Thank you so much for your help and guidance @Goro @Catalystik @gonnif @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Have you been employed at all since college graduation? If yes, in what roles? It is very reasonable to list your employment and activities (such as volunteerism) on your application and then say that while you've been interested in medicine for many years, it wasn't until after some time away to do other things that you came to the realization that medicine feels like the right path and you are ready to step onto it.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you been employed at all since college graduation? If yes, in what roles? It is very reasonable to list your employment and activities (such as volunteerism) on your application and then say that while you've been interested in medicine for many years, it wasn't until after some time away to do other things that you came to the realization that medicine feels like the right path and you are ready to step onto it.
I agree with my learned colleague.

I don't think that you can be blamed, OP. But how do you know that the studying in med school won't burn you out?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

Here is my story:

I graduated from UCLA in 2019 with a bachelor's in Biology (3.83 GPA and a 3.76 BCPM GPA). I was initially scheduled to take my MCAT in March of 2020; however, due to the onset of the COVID pandemic and the ensuing lockdown, my MCAT was canceled and kept getting canceled for the following months. However, I still wanted to apply to certain medical schools (around 6 MD/DO) that were offering conditional interviews and acceptances for students without an MCAT score (provided a minimum score was obtained by January 2021 if given a conditional acceptance).

PCOM PA was one such school that was very close to my home and was my top choice. I was fortunate to receive an interview and an acceptance to this school in October; however, I was so burnt out from studying for the MCAT for a whole year that I just couldn't take the exam. At the same time, the impact of covid was very real in my family with a few family members passing away. All of this was just too much to handle and I needed to step away and address some personal well-being concerns. As a result, I couldn't pay my necessary deposit and accept the admissions offer by December.

I made the difficult decision to take time away from medicine, and work and be independent while still being involved actively in my community ( which is very important to me). During this time, I tried studying for the MCAT multiple times but it was just difficult to study and it wasn't happening. It took quite some time (years), but I feel I am a more mature, complete individual/ applicant now and want to fully commit to my dream of becoming a physician. I have been studying hard the past few months and am excited to take my exam this coming May! I also resumed shadowing too and it's all fitting together again.

I want to have the opportunity to be considered at this school again and medical school in general; however, I am worried that my reason for taking time away from my initial acceptance will be a red flag to schools. What would be appropriate for me to say/ not say? I really care a lot about this and want to do this.

Thank you so much for your help and guidance @Goro @Catalystik @gonnif @LizzyM
I was accepted to DO school in 2019 and also decided to decline my acceptance and pursue another path. My case was not because of burnout, but because of other interests. After a masters degree and working in another field, I applied again this past cycle and have been lucky to be offered 8 interview invites, including from the school I previously denied my acceptance to!

All that to say, not once was I asked about my previous application cycle or acceptance. However, unless the secondary asked if I previously applied to the school, I did not bring up my previous application cycle. Don't bring attention to anything that could be a "red flag" unless directly asked. Your personal statement or anything else on your application should avoid this. I told a great story of how I pursued xyz since undergrad and how it was all with the intention of pursuing medicine eventually. My one MD interview was slightly more intense regarding my past due to lack of clinical experience since 2019 and MCAT retakes, but DOs seemed to love my more nontraditional background.

Reactions: 2 users

I don't think that you can be blamed, OP. But how do you know that the studying in med school won't burn you out?
They will. Everyone does to some degree in the 1st two years. No one is used to that degree of studying needed. The thing that changes is the student themselves. You see it I’m sure, we adapted and learned how to study at longer times.

Also for me studying the mcat sucked worse than the fire hydrant of med school because it was crazy far out there passages that I felt like I was not making progress from day to day

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I have been employed as a clinical research coordinator during this time. I was able to have hands- on patient experience in clinic as well as obtain a 1st author publication.

Would you say it’s important for me to not make any mention of being burned out or even wanting to prioritize my well-being over immediate academic pursuits and therefore, temporarily stepping away from medicine?

Last edited:

Thanks for your response. Goro, since you are affiliated with a DO school....

1.) Do you think I should make a mention of receiving an acceptance (considering it was a conditional admit/ My MCAT situation) to ALL schools or just the one I was admitted to before?

2.) Additionally, do you think if I do make a mention of it, it will hinder me from being considered to DO schools at large (including the one I was accepted to) considering my situation?

3.) Lastly, do you think I should call the admissions office of the school I was previously accepted to before I apply and tell them everything? I'm not sure if they might understand and give me any sort of extra consideration, but they are my first choice and it would mean a lot to be accepted there again.

All this provided I do decently on the MCAT of course. Additionally, I can't make certain I won't burn out in medical school but I will do everything I can to have a positive mindset and do the very best I can in medical school. I will not hesitate to seek help before starting school and after.

Last edited:
I was accepted to DO school in 2019 and also decided to decline my acceptance and pursue another path. My case was not because of burnout, but because of other interests. After a masters degree and working in another field, I applied again this past cycle and have been lucky to be offered 8 interview invites, including from the school I previously denied my acceptance to!

All that to say, not once was I asked about my previous application cycle or acceptance. However, unless the secondary asked if I previously applied to the school, I did not bring up my previous application cycle. Don't bring attention to anything that could be a "red flag" unless directly asked. Your personal statement or anything else on your application should avoid this. I told a great story of how I pursued xyz since undergrad and how it was all with the intention of pursuing medicine eventually. My one MD interview was slightly more intense regarding my past due to lack of clinical experience since 2019 and MCAT retakes, but DOs seemed to love my more nontraditional background.
Wow that is so great to hear! Do you recall if AACOMAS, as a whole application, asks whether you previously applied or were accepted to any school during an earlier cycle?

I am curious, for the school that you turned down the acceptance to, how did you ask them to give you another consideration? Did you call the admission office ahead of time to explain everything or did you just include an explanation within the primary/ secondary?

Thanks for your response. Goro, since you are affiliated with a DO school do you think I should make a mention of receiving an acceptance (considering it was a conditional admit/ My MCAT situation) to ALL schools or just the one I was admitted to before?
No
Additionally, do you think if I do make a mention of it, it will hinder me from being considered to DO schools at large (including the one I was accepted to) considering my situation?
Not at mine; can't speak for others
All this provided I do decently on the MCAT of course. Additionally, I can't make certain I won;t burn out in medical school but I will do everything I can do have a positive mindset and do the very best I can in medical school. I will not hesitate to seek help before starting school and after.
I suspect you're going to have to do better than this, and prove that you can handle med school, by doing some coursework now.

Wow that is so great to hear! Do you recall if AACOMAS, as a whole application, asks whether you previously applied or were accepted to any school during an earlier cycle?
AACOMAS and I believe AMCAS only ask about matriculating at a previous medical school.

However, secondaries, or even interviewers may ask if you've ever been accepted.

No

Not at mine; can't speak for others

I suspect you're going to have to do better than this, and prove that you can handle med school, by doing some coursework now.
I understand, I will seriously consider taking some classes now.

Lastly, do you think I should call the admissions office of the school I was previously accepted to before I apply this cycle and tell them everything? I'm not sure if they might understand and give me any sort of extra consideration, but they are my first choice and it would mean a lot to be accepted there again.

What do you think?

I understand, I will seriously consider taking some classes now.

Lastly, do you think I should call the admissions office of the school I was previously accepted to before I apply this cycle and tell them everything? I'm not sure if they might understand and give me any sort of extra consideration, but they are my first choice and it would mean a lot to be accepted there again.

What do you think?
Don't bother.
You're starting with a blank canvas now. Save explanations for the secondary.

I am curious, for the school that you turned down the acceptance to, how did you ask them to give you another consideration? Did you call the admission office ahead of time to explain everything or did you just include an explanation within the primary/ secondary?
AACOMAS asked "Have you ever matriculated in or attended any medical school or health profession as a candidate for a professional degree?". None of the secondaries from the list of ~20ish schools that I applied to asked if I was previously accepted, only if I applied previously.

You're asking them to give you another consideration by applying again. No need to call or explain within primary/secondary. I'd avoid the topic altogether, unless by a small chance an interviewer asks if you've been accepted before (did not happen in my personal experience).

You were conditionally accepted and didn't follow through with the provision stipulated to gain admission. It would be as if earning a bachelor's degree were a condition of admission and you didn't finish the degree in time to matriculate, therefore having your offer of admission rescinded.

I don't think anyone will really make anything of it. Many people choose, for many reasons, to have a gap year (or years). It can be to recharge one's bank account or one's batteries, or just to test an alternate career path, or allow more time to prep for the MCAT.