Graduating college in three years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theroadtomed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience applying to medical school while only attending undergrad for three years? I intend to graduate in only three years, mostly due to economical reasons and because I came into college with ~25 credit hours already, and so it just makes since to not stay four years. However, I've heard the medical schools can look negatively on this, as they might take the view that you haven't had enough time to mature. Also, since you only have two academic years and one summer before the application cycle starts after junior year (I'll be a junior in my second year of college), I may not have as much time to have my resume expanded. Is anyone else in this same boat that can offer advice, or can anyone else offer advice in general on the topic?

Also, it might be helpful to add that I'm getting married next summer. Do you think that this may be taken into account when the topic of maturity arises with medical schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also graduating in three years. As for the adcom I have spoken to, as long as you can show you are mature in an interview then there should be no problem.

Three years for me as well, and I agree with the maturity demonstration suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have experience doing this, but I have looked into it a bit. Several application sites that I've read directly state a MINIMUM of 3 full years of college. So, your time plan would fit the letter of those school's specifications.

Be careful if you are using AP credits for prereqs. There are many med schools which will not accept those. You will still need to take a full classroom year of bio, chem, physics, ochem, and English - either by not using those AP's or by taking upper level courses. Also, 25 credits are fewer than a full year's worth. You would need to be careful not to overload your schedule to the point where your GPA took a hit. If you wound up having to return to take a post-bac in order to raise the GPA, it would cost you more than that standard 4th year would have.

You are right about the shortened time frame limiting your ability rack up out of classroom experiences. It would also limit the number and breadth of courses you would be able to take. Another consideration is that often upper level classes are only offered during particular semesters, sometimes only biennially. There are fewer sections of upper level courses, and when two required courses have conflicting schedules, it can hamper your plans.

If you are a standard age for college freshmen, don't expect getting married to be a symbol of maturity because, to many people, youthful marriages signify the opposite. Wedding planning and anticipation can be a huge distraction from studying. You may want to take a relatively light course load spring semester.

I've done my own calculations for how quickly I could be graduated. On paper, under ideal conditions, I could do it two years because my credits didn't come from AP or CLEP, but from dual-credit courses. I decided that rushing through would be wasting my greatest opportunity to become educated. There are too many non-core courses which I would like to take, and too many out of classroom opportunities I would not be able to participate in. In short, I'd be giving up my education in order to hurry through the schooling.

You don't have to make the decision right away, do you? You might want to see how each semester goes, and adjust your plans accordingly. Each of us experiences college in a slightly different way. Good luck on finding the best solution for you!:luck:

If you can handle the work load and complete all your requirements both the degree and for medical school within three years, than I don't see any point sticking around spending your money on filler classes. However, if you do the 3 year thing I would recommend taking a year off before you go to medical school (I'd recommend this for everyone anyway). You can get a paying job in research or healthcare than will give you the additional experience that you may not get with a heavy course load and give you time to travel for interviews. Medical school is an intense 4 years and there's no reason to jump into head on if you're still young and have time to do other things.

Only apply after three years if you have a great application, great ec's ,good gpa and good mcat. Not only good, but better than the other applicants for the schools you are applying for. I graduated in three years and did not get in anywhere, because of my age. They will question your maturity and you will need to prove that you are more mature than all the other applicants.

It is completely ridiculous that someone graduating in three years is less mature than someone who graduates in four, but this bias is real. EC's are especially important if you graduate in three years so you need vast clinical experiences to show you can handle medical situations.

UNC Med School says:
"A student who earns a degree in less than four years may apply, but should recognize that understanding the human condition and developing good judgment require experience. Without unusual qualifications, questions about breadth of education, maturity, experience, and motivation may put such an applicant at a disadvantage."
http://www.med.unc.edu/ome/admit/require.htm

No age discrimination here! :confused:

And yes I am still sore about this issue.

When I started out I seriously considered only taking three years to complete my undergrad. I wanted to jump right into being a doctor and saving the world. I ended up taking the usual four, and then decided to take a year off after undergrad as well. This is one decision that I didnt mess up during my college years!

I see it this way: you have your ENTIRE LIFE to be a physician. College is an experience, not just a means to becoming a doctor. Stop and smell the roses! I was veeeery financially strained my college career, but in the grand scheme of the debt we will incur at med school, an extra year of undergrad costs seem like nothin.

I was a mentor for a girl last year at MSU who entered this fall, and she grappled with the same question- should she fast track to med school. I would suggest not doing this, as there is a ton of growing up to do in your late teens and early twenties and rushing it isnt worth the experiences you will miss out on. Med school will still be there in an extra year. Getting to tailgate your senior year homecoming game...that will be gone forever (kinda cheesy example, but gets the general idea across).

I am also in the same situation. However, as a freshman at UVA, I encountered a problem because I wanted to be a bio major. Almost everybody advised me against taking Physics and Orgo in my first year. However, by putting Orgo off until next year, I will be taking it with upper level bio courses. Then the following year, I will be having to take 2 or 3 bios a semester.
Everybody I know says that they are happy they spent 4 years in college and enjoyed it. I really want to finish in 3 years because I came in with 30 credits. In other countries, the students don't have to take filler courses in the humanities and such and therefore, finish much earlier. I am really confused about this too...I was thinking of switching to a psyc major, just because I will be able to take 3 psyc classes together as opposed to 3 bios. I am also concerned with taking too much on at one time because I don't want my GPA to take a hit.
Do medical schools really look negatively at your application if you graduated it 3 years? I thought they would think that you are extremely motivated and dedicated and that is how and why you completed all the work in 3 years.

It just doesn't seem possible to graduate in 3 years and do well on your pre-med requirements and be a bio major!

For me, I'll finish in three years because I went to my hometown college. It made no sense for me to take almost four months off when I live 5 minutes away from the school. I knocked out my gen eds in the summers (along with CLEP tests) and took the med school pre reqs/major reqs during the regular year.

Doing summer courses and CLEP tests saved me a nice bit of money and kept me busy. You all can argue that I'm at a disadvantage, but I have enough interviews now where I'm not as worried as I was a few months ago.

On an aside, I've also worked in a hospital (with patient contact :laugh:) for four years now, so clinical experience isn't a problem.

I talked to the Assistant dean of admissions at a CA school, and they definitely recommended that I take all 4 years of college even though I could get my B.S. in biochemistry in 3 years. He said that he would love to see me stay another year and take more classes in humanities. He also said that it would give me a better chance to become involved in more ECs.

any more opinions because I am still not sure what I should do

I'm chancing it with three years. I figure if I don't get accepted this year, I don't have enough experience for them, so I'm taking a year completely off (might go for a master's or something, but I'm not going to apply), and work as a CNA, probably. Then I'll apply again, and they won't be able to use the excuse that I don't have enough experience. That'll also put me about average in age as the rest of matriculants. I figure if I don't get in that cycle, it's not worth it to apply again, because I'll have to retake my MCAT, and there would be little I could do to better my application.

We'll see what happens at the end of this cycle.

There is no real need or reason to try to force your way through college; if you make it to medical school, you will absolutely regret not taking the additional time to explore other areas/classes, enjoy a relatively relaxed academic environment, and enjoy socializing. There is no honor or glory in taking less time to get to medical school - it simply increases the chances of finding yourself locked into a career path that makes you miserable, considering you have no idea who you will be five to ten years down the road.

Relax, smell the roses, take an anthropology/art history/etc. course or three and revel in not smelling like formalin.

Members don't see this ad :)
A good compromise would be to simply apply after graduation and take a year off. This way you'll still have 3 years on your academic record when you apply, you will still only have to pay for 3 years of school, and you'll have a full-year to develop maturity and do EC's.

Only apply after three years if you have a great application, great ec's ,good gpa and good mcat. Not only good, but better than the other applicants for the schools you are applying for. I graduated in three years and did not get in anywhere, because of my age. They will question your maturity and you will need to prove that you are more mature than all the other applicants.

It is completely ridiculous that someone graduating in three years is less mature than someone who graduates in four, but this bias is real. EC's are especially important if you graduate in three years so you need vast clinical experiences to show you can handle medical situations.

UNC Med School says:
"A student who earns a degree in less than four years may apply, but should recognize that understanding the human condition and developing good judgment require experience. Without unusual qualifications, questions about breadth of education, maturity, experience, and motivation may put such an applicant at a disadvantage."
http://www.med.unc.edu/ome/admit/require.htm

No age discrimination here! :confused:

And yes I am still sore about this issue.

You're feeling that too? They say you'll be fine, but after calling to do exit interviews from last cycle, I'd say that this holds pretty much across the country. Doing 3 years is fine, but don't make our mistake of applying right out of school. Make sure you get a year off in there.

is there anybody out there that has or knows anybody who has graduating in 3 years and gotten accepted into medical school without taking a year off? do u have to be an extraordinary applicant and not just an average one? Also, if there is too small of a chance of getting in, wouldn't it be wiser to take 4 years instead of going to medical school in the caribbean?

Does anyone have any experience applying to medical school while only attending undergrad for three years? I intend to graduate in only three years, mostly due to economical reasons and because I came into college with ~25 credit hours already, and so it just makes since to not stay four years. However, I've heard the medical schools can look negatively on this, as they might take the view that you haven't had enough time to mature. Also, since you only have two academic years and one summer before the application cycle starts after junior year (I'll be a junior in my second year of college), I may not have as much time to have my resume expanded. Is anyone else in this same boat that can offer advice, or can anyone else offer advice in general on the topic?

Also, it might be helpful to add that I'm getting married next summer. Do you think that this may be taken into account when the topic of maturity arises with medical schools?

Thanks!

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm a Junior and I'll be applying next June, even though this is my 3rd semester of college. I came in with 22 credit hours because of my concurrent enrollment in high school. So, kudos to you. Even though I had to make up 8 credits, it was pretty simple. You can do it! Be confident and jump in head first and get those excellent grades and unique EC's that you need. The only trouble I've had with graduating in 3 years is that I haven't had time to build my EC's. Although, I am making up for it now! Good luck, have fun, and don't be afraid to go after exactly what you want! :luck:

I graduated 3 years, had 3 acceptances and some tier one interviews. Check my old MD apps. There is so much that goes on with your application! I highly down anyone took your age into consideration at all.

Please let me throw in my two cents. I graduated from high school a year early with tons of honors, high honor roll all semesters, and about every commendation/award availible. I applied to eight very competitive LAC's and I got into five. I'm now enrolled in a very good and competitive LAC, but it wasn't my first choice. The reason: I didn't have enough extracurriculars, and my status as a 16 yr old graduate made me a "admissions risk". Apparently they thought I wouldn't be able to adjust to the social life of college (funny, because I have been dating a college sophomore for about a year now, and I basically live on a college campus with other students on the weekends).

Your situation is obviously quite different, and I am sure you have mounds of information I don't. However, please let me tell you that many ADCOMs will look at graduating early negatively. This is true for both HS and college (my mom is a prof). Extracurriculars are also going to be a problem, and unless you can go without sleep, you may have some problems getting comperable EC's when you are put up against 4 yr. students.

I don't doubt that you a very mature and intelligent person, and I have no doubt that you have worked very hard (I understand the bs associated with graduating early). However, keep in mind that you will be descriminated against.

If you are dead set on applying w/ only three years of college, I would recommend a gap year in conjunction with serious clinical experience (maybe volunteering internationally/medically related job/extensive volunteering/etc.)

Please let me know if you have any questions- I would be happy to share my experiences and knowledge.

i graduated high school with 61 credit hours and an associates degree in business from doing full time post secondary. all my courses were taken at a real college while still in high school. so, would graduating in 2 years put me at a huge disadvantage for medical school? seems like such a huge waste of time and money to spend an extra year in school when i can graduate in 2 years with a normal courseload...

I graduated 3 years, had 3 acceptances and some tier one interviews. Check my old MD apps. There is so much that goes on with your application! I highly down anyone took your age into consideration at all.

Age comes into consideration, without a doubt. I actually had one of my interviewers comment on it. He was like "You'll see people hurt and death!!" Of course, me following around my brother (5th year ortho resident) for a week and a half pretty much beat down any idea that I didn't know what I was getting into.

i graduated high school with 61 credit hours and an associates degree in business from doing full time post secondary. all my courses were taken at a real college while still in high school. so, would graduating in 2 years put me at a huge disadvantage for medical school? seems like such a huge waste of time and money to spend an extra year in school when i can graduate in 2 years with a normal courseload...

Cuz you've only been in the "real" world outside of high school for two years. The bias is there and totally sucks.

I guess the financial thing sort-of makes sense. Honestly though, at some point you gotta take into consideration that time you actually enjoy has definite value. It's easy to lose sight of this in the midst of all the pre-reqs and whatnot, but college is supposed to be fun at least some of the time.

I guess my point is, you might look back on the extra debt you incur for going to school for that "superfluous" fourth year and think to yourself it was the best investment you ever made. Do you really think the situation is going to happen where you're in the midst of your residency and think to yourself "Man, I'm really glad I got HERE as quickly as possible".

Unless you're a non-traditional student, in which case disregard everything I've said.

I guess the financial thing sort-of makes sense. Honestly though, at some point you gotta take into consideration that time you actually enjoy has definite value. It's easy to lose sight of this in the midst of all the pre-reqs and whatnot, but college is supposed to be fun at least some of the time.

I guess my point is, you might look back on the extra debt you incur for going to school for that "superfluous" fourth year and think to yourself it was the best investment you ever made. Do you really think the situation is going to happen where you're in the midst of your residency and think to yourself "Man, I'm really glad I got HERE as quickly as possible".

Unless you're a non-traditional student, in which case disregard everything I've said.

There's no positive to being young. Absolutely none.

Do you mean in a general sense, or in the sense of how it affects your medical school application?

Mostly med school apps. Oh, and no (legal) drinking. That's what sucks the most! So when all your buddies in med school get drunk after their first test, legally, you can't be part of the fun. :(

But I think I can pass for 23, so maybe I'll get lucky!

Mostly med school apps. Oh, and no (legal) drinking. That's what sucks the most! So when all your buddies in med school get drunk after their first test, legally, you can't be part of the fun. :(

But I think I can pass for 23, so maybe I'll get lucky!

Oh, ok. Cause I was gonna say, I think there a lot of older guys who think there are some definite advantages to being young.

That sucks about the drinking. I'm sure you'll find some way to blend in though.

I graduating in three years from a CA school and am applying this year. It is definately possible.

As for my application status, I have received 6 interviews out-of-state and have received/completed all the CA secondaries. Just waiting for CA interviews.....

As long as you ace your undergrad classes, have a good GPA/MCAT, and are a well-rounded person, completing college in 3 or 4 years shouldn't matter.

I'm graduating in 3 years, and I've received invites from every school in TX plus some. Unless you're a freak, I highly, highly, doubt that it makes a difference. There are much bigger issues than age to compare applicants by.

None of my interviewers commented on it at all. Not one question.

Cuz you've only been in the "real" world outside of high school for two years. The bias is there and totally sucks.

eh not really. i was a full time college student my last two years of high school. i never stepped foot into myself high school except for graduation. i had college friends. i was on a college campus full time. unless i said i was post secondary, nobody would have known i wasn't a "real" college kid. Plus, I've had more real world work experience than most people who graduate after 4 years.

I graduating in three years from a CA school and am applying this year. It is definately possible.

As for my application status, I have received 6 interviews out-of-state and have received/completed all the CA secondaries. Just waiting for CA interviews.....

As long as you ace your undergrad classes, have a good GPA/MCAT, and are a well-rounded person, completing college in 3 or 4 years shouldn't matter.
Hey, If you applied this year, when did you take your MCAT? There have, obviously been some discrepancies in my mind as to when to take the MCAT since I also plan to graduate in three years!! Help!! Also, for those that say that you can't graduate in three years an get into med school because of age, I've dealt with the age issue all my life! I will be a junior (specifically 4 credits short of being a senior) when I am 19! I started K5 early, so obviously, that puts me ahead in academic/ education all my life. Also, I have never dropped below a 3.5 GPA- the maturity issue depends on the person and thier own personal drive... Oh yeah, my original question was... when to take the MCAT when completing a Bachelor's in 3 years. Thank you so much!!

Hey, If you applied this year, when did you take your MCAT? There have, obviously been some discrepancies in my mind as to when to take the MCAT since I also plan to graduate in three years!! Help!! Also, for those that say that you can't graduate in three years an get into med school because of age, I've dealt with the age issue all my life! I will be a junior (specifically 4 credits short of being a senior) when I am 19! I started K5 early, so obviously, that puts me ahead in academic/ education all my life. Also, I have never dropped below a 3.5 GPA- the maturity issue depends on the person and thier own personal drive... Oh yeah, my original question was... when to take the MCAT when completing a Bachelor's in 3 years. Thank you so much!!

If people graduating in four years apply summer after junior year, they take the MCAT anytime that school year (junior year). Can you honestly not do the math and figure out it's a year before? Do we really need doctors that can't process a timeline?

Hey, If you applied this year, when did you take your MCAT? There have, obviously been some discrepancies in my mind as to when to take the MCAT since I also plan to graduate in three years!! Help!!

I took it the May after my second year. I submitted my application in June. You can always take a gap year too...

I took it the May after my second year. I submitted my application in June. You can always take a gap year too...
Thank you for being so nice!! NEwaz, have you had much success? I checked out your MDapp and wow! How did you do on the MCAT? WEre you able to pick your interview day? What did you do to prepare for the MCAT ( specific books, courses) Did you take organic chem befor the MCAT? I've heard mixed reviews on that topic from many books! Good luck!

Thank you for being so nice!! NEwaz, have you had much success? I checked out your MDapp and wow! How did you do on the MCAT? WEre you able to pick your interview day? What did you do to prepare for the MCAT ( specific books, courses) Did you take organic chem befor the MCAT? I've heard mixed reviews on that topic from many books! Good luck!
Question? Question? Question?? Excitement!!!!!!!!!!! *wets pants*

lol...sorry. :p

read a book. are you serious? "did you take organic chem before the MCAT?" no, the information i needed was zapped into my head by space aliens.

You may want to do THE SLIGHTEST BIT of research about a profession you plan on entering.

Ok, deep breath. That's a lot of questions to throw out at once.

I'm only 'officially' applying to 7 schools this year (pulled out of two before the secondary). I've gotten interviews from two of them, and one of the interviews I'm OOS at a school that doesn't accept many OOSers, and I'm interviewing with the EDP applicants. So I guess that's some success. For that invite, the lady in the admissions office e-mailed me and asked me if the date was ok. They only interview on Wednesdays, so at the time there really wasn't any difference from one Wednesday to the next.

I got a 36R on the MCAT (11V-12P-13B). I studied using the Examkrackers complete study package (went through it twice), plus 2 AAMC tests (CBT 3 and CBT 10, I believe, got a 33 on both) and the 10 Gold Standard Tests (bought them for like $50 off ebay... you get them for 6 months instead of a year). I also used the Audio Osmosis tapes in the two weeks before my exam (I borrowed those from a friend, so you won't see a charge reflected on my MDApps for that). You can read more here.

I should also note that I took AP credits for both Physics and Biology. Physics I did take the labs at my school, though. For Biology, I took Cell Bio, Physiology and Genetics in the two semesters before I took the MCAT. I did take Organic in the two semesters before taking the MCAT as well. Needless to say, that did a lot of my studying for me. I also took the MCAT 2 days after my final in orgo II and 3 days before my final in physiology, so that was an interesting experience.

read a book. are you serious? "did you take organic chem before the MCAT?" no, the information i needed was zapped into my head by space aliens.

You may want to do THE SLIGHTEST BIT of research about a profession you plan on entering.
How do you get by with being such a jerk! You must have gotten a 45 on your MCAT!!

Ok, deep breath. That's a lot of questions to throw out at once.

I'm only 'officially' applying to 7 schools this year (pulled out of two before the secondary). I've gotten interviews from two of them, and one of the interviews I'm OOS at a school that doesn't accept many OOSers, and I'm interviewing with the EDP applicants. So I guess that's some success. For that invite, the lady in the admissions office e-mailed me and asked me if the date was ok. They only interview on Wednesdays, so at the time there really wasn't any difference from one Wednesday to the next.

I got a 36R on the MCAT (11V-12P-13B). I studied using the Examkrackers complete study package (went through it twice), plus 2 AAMC tests (CBT 3 and CBT 10, I believe, got a 33 on both) and the 10 Gold Standard Tests (bought them for like $50 off ebay... you get them for 6 months instead of a year). I also used the Audio Osmosis tapes in the two weeks before my exam (I borrowed those from a friend, so you won't see a charge reflected on my MDApps for that). You can read more here.

I should also note that I took AP credits for both Physics and Biology. Physics I did take the labs at my school, though. For Biology, I took Cell Bio, Physiology and Genetics in the two semesters before I took the MCAT. I did take Organic in the two semesters before taking the MCAT as well. Needless to say, that did a lot of my studying for me. I also took the MCAT 2 days after my final in orgo II and 3 days before my final in physiology, so that was an interesting experience.
Well, so the information was pretty fresh in your head then. My only problem is, with my course sequence, I dont take organic until my last year...

How do you get by with being such a jerk! You must have gotten a 45 on your MCAT!!

no, it's just annoying that you don't seem to possess the ability to search the forums, to google "medical school requirements" or to go to www.aamc.org

Just imagine how many fewer applicants there would be if people were required to figure the basics out on their own!

I have found in any circumstance, that the best resources for any information are those who are right in there with you- maybe you need to close your account and let those that want to get something accomplished using a site MEANT for these convos!!! :/

Well I certainly wish you the best of luck on your journey towards medicine, but your inability to do a simple search probably precludes much success. Have a nice night. :)

Doctors are suppose to be caring and helpful. Apparently, you forgot some of the most important characteristics of being a doctor and instead try to use amateurish rhetoric and sarcasm only to prove yourself very immature.

I will remember that when my Attending answers seriously my question about the whereabouts of the brain on my neurology rounds.

Spoonfeeding is not the best form of learning, for the record.

What does it matter to you if someone asks questions on a forum? Is she asking you directly or forcing you to answer her? She's just trying to get answers in a place designed for such purposes.

I try to encourage people to use their brains once in a while, instead of relying on others for everything.

Well, so the information was pretty fresh in your head then. My only problem is, with my course sequence, I dont take organic until my last year...

You should wait until after you take organic to take the MCAT and apply. So unless you want to change your schedule around, you should look to take a gap year. Use it to help strengthen your application.

Some people can get away with not taking organic (most have at least had one semester, though) and doing alright on the MCAT, but you'd have to self-teach the material, and it's much easier to review than it is to self-teach.

I try to encourage people to use their brains once in a while, instead of relying on others for everything.

While she could probably get more advice by doing a search, these forums are huge, and a simple search often doesn't give the information one seeks. There's a lot of questions that are repetitious, and if you don't want to answer them, just ignore them. There are people that take the MCAT without the pre-reqs, so trying to figure out if it's worth it to chance it isn't a terrible question.

THANKS!! :love::):):):):):):):love: TO CAPN JAZZ, I did talk to my premed advisor at my college and got good advice. Instead of taking a gap year, I will probably attempt to do a graduate program in Ohio that allows me to transfer into their medical school immediately following that year!! Thank you for your constructive criticism and to the others, thanks for being a willing help :)