Is graduating in three years inherently bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_1234

Reaction score
I found a few threads on this topic but couldn't find a definitive answer. I'm on track to graduate comfortably by the end of my junior year because of APs and dual-enrollment credits. I'm not going to spend any summers on campus and will probably add a minor in a field I enjoy (probably math or bioinformatics) just to get over the minimum full-time student threshold.

I'm planning on applying during either my first or second gap year (currently a sophomore), depending on what everything else on my resume looks like. However, I was wondering if schools will look down on me for "rushing through college" or "not making the most of my time."

In case it matters, my major required me to take all the science prerequisites at my university, so I'm not using APs to substitute those. AP credits satisfied the Calc and Stats requirement for my major but I will probably take upper division coursework in those fields because of my minor anyhow.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Academically, if your grades are solid and you have been involved in campus, I don't think there's an issue. If you are giving up a year of a full ride scholarship, I'd look at you a little funny. I know higher education has become costly, and few see a great ROI for it.

I would wonder why you didn't take an extra year to do study abroad, but that's because I didn't myself and could have used a year to do it. YOLO, and being a college student is a very unique time.

But on the admissions front, we would hope you don't stand out in a negative sense: lack of maturity, lack of meaningful service or impact, lack of interaction with underserved or disadvantaged communities especially around your campus. Would anyone on your campus miss you when you are gone?

More applicants take gap years so you would probably not be viewed negatively, provided the above paragraph holds.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the admissions process right now, in my second gap year, and I did undergrad in 3 years. I've received several acceptances so far and nobody has ever mentioned it in any of the interviews I've had, if that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking 1-2 gap years is a good plan. It is the applicants who apply after 2 years of college with graduation expected the following spring who come across as having had too little experience and too little time to mature.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I applied this cycle at the end of my 2nd year of college and have As. I certainly don't think this is a negative thing unless you give ADCOMs a reason to make it one. This came up in about half my interviews and was more of a "fun thing" than a serious consideration for my interviewers. At least this was how I interpreted it, and they may have been analyzing my responses.

Reactions: 2 users
I found a few threads on this topic but couldn't find a definitive answer. I'm on track to graduate comfortably by the end of my junior year because of APs and dual-enrollment credits. I'm not going to spend any summers on campus and will probably add a minor in a field I enjoy (probably math or bioinformatics) just to get over the minimum full-time student threshold.

I'm planning on applying during either my first or second gap year (currently a sophomore), depending on what everything else on my resume looks like. However, I was wondering if schools will look down on me for "rushing through college" or "not making the most of my time."

In case it matters, my major required me to take all the science prerequisites at my university, so I'm not using APs to substitute those. AP credits satisfied the Calc and Stats requirement for my major but I will probably take upper division coursework in those fields because of my minor anyhow.
Unless you come across as immature or allow your grades or extra-curriculars to take a hit and then try to excuse either ones with "But I completed college in 3 years," it shouldn't be a problem. The gap year will also help.

I was going to graduate in 3 years initially and I decided to go for 4 to add in a study abroad and minor. If it’s not a financial issue (I had Pell and local grants so I was fine) then it wouldn’t hurt to do the 4th year to add something. There were specific programs that I applied to that were only offered to enrolled college students, if you’re interested in doing something like research or clinical volunteering through your college if they have that. At the end of the day, I don’t think it’ll matter.

I graduated in 3 years and applied twice--during my last year in college (so after two years) and then after 1 gap year (so started med school 2 years after I graduated). Obviously I was not successful my first go round, but the issue that I received feedback about was just that I was not mature enough. The gap years and real world experience in a job definitely helped and I got multiple acceptances the second round (including to one school that waitlisted me the first time). So, graduating early isn't inherently bad... it just means you have less time to build up your CV than if you take a gap year or two.

Reactions: 2 users
I graduated in three years, but took 2 years off after that which I think helped. First app cycle, 5 IIs and 2 As so far. I think it’s probably important to take at least some time off after graduating if you do it early. It shows ad coms you did take time to mature and find where you want to fit into the medical world. I do think my gap years are the reason I am doing well this app cycle. I don’t think my application straight after only 3 years of college was strong enough or indicative of my passion for the field.

So basically, imo, not a red flag if you consider using that extra year to focus on clinicals, volunteer work, research, or whatever helps fit your narrative on why you want to become a physician

Last edited: