Graduating from undergrad in May - advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carolinamed11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating from undergrad in May of this year with an exercise science degree. I have a 3.6, various leadership positions and am a collegiate athlete. I have NOT yet taken the MCAT, organic chemistry and am still in need of a semester of physics and biology. First, I would like to know what kind of MCAT score I will need to compliment my GPA and make me competitive. Secondly, I need advice on how to complete the MCAT and pre-reqs. Do I cram 4 classes in this summer on top of taking the MCAT in order to apply in August? Or take an additional year to take my time with classes and studying for the MCAT and wait to apply until next August? I am stressed and need to make some decisions fairly quickly. And advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Slow down and do it right. Take your classes this fall and then study for the mcat next spring to take it in early may. Than apply early june with a 30+ and you should be sitting pretty. Assuming the rest of your app is awesome.

I am graduating from undergrad in May of this year with an exercise science degree. I have a 3.6, various leadership positions and am a collegiate athlete. I have NOT yet taken the MCAT, organic chemistry and am still in need of a semester of physics and biology.

1) First, I would like to know what kind of MCAT score I will need to compliment my GPA and make me competitive.

2) Secondly, I need advice on how to complete the MCAT and pre-reqs. a) Do I cram 4 classes in this summer on top of taking the MCAT in order to apply in August? b) Or take an additional year to take my time with classes and studying for the MCAT and wait to apply until next August?

I am stressed and need to make some decisions fairly quickly. And advice would be greatly appreciated!!
1) See historical odds of acceptance with your cGPA and various MCAT outcomes here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

2a) No. Big mistake.

2B) Yes, except plan to apply in June for the best chance. Take it slow and do it right. You want your GPA to end on a high note.

What is your BCPM GPA (includes all math and science classes to date)?

Many med schools require/recommend more than the prerequisites these days. Check on your favorite schools' websites and see what else you need. Common possibilities are Biochem, stats, 1-2 upper-level bio classes, occasionally behavioral science, etc.

And while you mention athletics and leadership, you don't discuss active clinical experience and physician shadowing activities. Or research. Or teaching. Or nonmedical community service. All of these strengthen an application, and longevity counts.

i dont believe cramming would be a good idea unless you know you can handle it, but unless you want to attempt to apply ASAP then I suggest waiting until the fall