Graduation Gift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FSU2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm graduating soon and my in-laws want to get me something nice. Of course, they ask my wife who then asks me. They want to get me something special and possibly profession-specific, and all of their ideas have been well-intentioned, but not stuff I need/will use (stethoscope - already have 2; white coat - getting a bigillion from my program; card holder - don't see myself getting business cards made as a resident, lol). I already have a nice laptop and iPad. I told my wife that it would be nice to get a set of matching diploma frames for undergrad and med school, but they didn't seem super impressed. Truth be told, I'd probably just want a big gift card to Home Depot so I can get stuff for the house and a couple power tools I've been eyeing for a while.

So my question is this: is there anything you used a ton in residency or wish you had? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

you can't take it to work, but you should get a brand new, shiny, Kimber 1911

you can't take it to work, but you should get a brand new, shiny, Kimber 1911

Wanted one of those for years. I have a Springfield 1911 that I like, but nothing like a Kimber.....<drool>.......I told my wife I'd like to have him get me an AR-15 but she refused to suggest it to her parents. Mind you, my father-in-law gave me a browning pump action as a wedding gift (love that gun).

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like some cool in-laws. i wish glock would make a 1911. it would be the sexiest 1911 ever.

1) Gift card to a store that supports your primary hobby.
2) An investment in the caffeine source of your choice.
3) A nice work bag.

1) Gift card to a store that supports your primary hobby.
2) An investment in the caffeine source of your choice.
3) A nice work bag.

This.

My stepmom gave me my present workbag for X-mas about 2 years ago. I didn't use it much during residency, but now.. maaan... its the best. Black leather and cloth Kenneth Cole laptop carrier bag, with plenty of storage for quick reference books, stethoscope/shears/whatever.

This.

My stepmom gave me my present workbag for X-mas about 2 years ago. I didn't use it much during residency, but now.. maaan... its the best. Black leather and cloth Kenneth Cole laptop carrier bag, with plenty of storage for quick reference books, stethoscope/shears/whatever.
It's pretty much the only way you can enjoy having a purse and still maintain manliness.

I feel obliged to thow out a plug for Saddleback Leather Company. Awesome bags. I bought a wallet from them and hope to get a bag from them for graduation. Expensive but you're paying for awesome quality rather than brand name...

I feel obliged to thow out a plug for Saddleback Leather Company. Awesome bags. I bought a wallet from them and hope to get a bag from them for graduation. Expensive but you're paying for awesome quality rather than brand name...

That's actually exactly what I was thinking about asking for. My father-in-law got one for Christmas from his wife and that thing is NICE. Like, crazy nice.

So is the general consensus that a nice bag is something that, although I probably won't use much in residency, I'll love having it as an attending? I feel like I wouldn't want to bring a bag that nice into the hospital for a call-bag when I'm on off service rotations.

I'm trying to talk my parents into getting me a Browning Citori as a graduation gift.

Yep, I'd be just fine with that, too. Didn't look at the price tag, but judging by how it looks, I'm guessing it's up there. My browning is just the basic pump action (it's actually about 20 years old) but man, that thing can shoot.

Yep, I'd be just fine with that, too. Didn't look at the price tag, but judging by how it looks, I'm guessing it's up there. My browning is just the basic pump action (it's actually about 20 years old) but man, that thing can shoot.

There's a huge range of prices in over/under shotguns. I'm just looking at a pretty base model. I'd like to get into shooting clays more, but my 18" cylinder bore Remington 870 doesn't really cut it for that.

I don't know, I'd personally bring it to the hospital. The beauty of those bags is that the wear and tear of actual use just builds character. And leather wipes down well...

I got a nice bag for Christmas from my in-laws towards the end of medical school. Use it every day in residency. I don't think you'll need to wait until you're an attending for it to be useful.