Late graduation impact residency-em

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Notsureuser

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I may be looking at a late graduation ie June 30, anyone know if this would compromise matching in most EM residency programs, looking at ny,nj tristate area.
Thanks!
 
probably not. I may be mistaken but nearly all residencies start July 1. Mine had a fair amount of stuff to do before July 1, clerical stuff, take photos, meet staff etc. So you may need to move/be available before June 30. You could also skip your graduation. As long as you are a graduate by July 1 I doubt there would be a problem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most places start orientation (which is when you are actually starting your job and paid on salary) around the middle of June.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I might still be finishing my last rotation towards end of june.. will programs not accept you if you still have rotations towards end of june?
Thanks
 
I may be looking at a late graduation ie June 30, anyone know if this would compromise matching in most EM residency programs, looking at ny,nj tristate area.
Thanks!

I think most PDs can work with that, especially if you can knock out ATLS, ACLS, PALS etc at your med school and do the move out/in stuff before you actually finish med school.