Graduation gifts - help please!!

Started by steffbyrne
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

steffbyrne

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all.

My best friend is graduating with her MD in a few weeks. She will start her Family Medicine residency in August. I'm desperately trying to find a graduation gift for her - but I haven't been successful. I'd like to get her something that she could use? Or something that would be meaningful as a Family Doc?

Could any of you give some advice - what kind of gifts did you receive that you really appreciated? Anything that is essential for your residency?

Thanks so much,
Steff
 
steffbyrne said:
Hi all.

My best friend is graduating with her MD in a few weeks. She will start her Family Medicine residency in August. I'm desperately trying to find a graduation gift for her - but I haven't been successful. I'd like to get her something that she could use? Or something that would be meaningful as a Family Doc?

Could any of you give some advice - what kind of gifts did you receive that you really appreciated? Anything that is essential for your residency?

Thanks so much,
Steff
Tiffany has a great caduceus pen. It's about $90-$100. I also got a keychain from my friends this weekend, also from Tiffany. I think I'd use the pen more, though. 🙂
 
How about a leather prescription pad holder?

B00092DV4Q.01-AESR7NBOFRCWU._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What about a doctor's bag?? 🙂 Maybe I'm old fashioned and still love the idea/thought of the doctor with his black bag. I do tend to carry things with me a lot. Plus, I hope to do some house calls one day.

PLUS, I worked with one PhD/MD in internal medicine who received a monogramed black doctor's bag when he graduated from medical school (apaprently his school gave them out!) -- he says it has become indispensible to him.

These bags can be rather pricey also, especially if you want the black leather ones. Maybe $100 at least? The vinyl ones at my school bookstore run about $60-70.
 
steffbyrne said:
Hi all.

My best friend is graduating with her MD in a few weeks. She will start her Family Medicine residency in August. I'm desperately trying to find a graduation gift for her - but I haven't been successful. I'd like to get her something that she could use? Or something that would be meaningful as a Family Doc?

Could any of you give some advice - what kind of gifts did you receive that you really appreciated? Anything that is essential for your residency?

Thanks so much,
Steff


no, no, no. you should get her a gift certificate to a NICE spa. DOn't be cheap! Go for at least $100 or even $150.

This is worth FAR more than a pen, which although nice, is snooty, and will probably get lost in a week or so. Besides, what kind of pretentious ass clown doctor has to dig out a special pen to use and can't simply use the million or so drug rep pens floating around? As for the doctor bag, er um, somehow I don't think that's going to be useful. I have never seen anyone use one, and if I did, I'd have to take their lunch money and give them a wedgie.
 
fomites said:
no, no, no. you should get her a gift certificate to a NICE spa. DOn't be cheap! Go for at least $100 or even $150.

What's that sound??? Ah, yes....it's the sound of a million stressed-out, washed out, cuticle-overgrown, pore-clogged, bag-eyed, exhausted women screaming in unison: GO FOR THE SPA GIFT CERTIFICATE!!!!

(And really, $150 doesn't go that far in a spa these days. Best to pool the resources of a bunch of people and make it at least $300).
 
fomites said:
no, no, no. you should get her a gift certificate to a NICE spa. DOn't be cheap! Go for at least $100 or even $150.

This is worth FAR more than a pen, which although nice, is snooty, and will probably get lost in a week or so. Besides, what kind of pretentious ass clown doctor has to dig out a special pen to use and can't simply use the million or so drug rep pens floating around? As for the doctor bag, er um, somehow I don't think that's going to be useful. I have never seen anyone use one, and if I did, I'd have to take their lunch money and give them a wedgie.


hehe, I got thongs dammit. Already got my own wedgie. AND, I wish someone would take my friggin lunch money -- I need to go on a diet anyway. LOL. :laugh:

So what, I'm a tiny bit old fashioned, idealistic, naive, etc etc etc. yea yea yea. 😛

The Spa is a WONDERFUL idea though! I LOVE facials and massages. I used to always wonder what the big hoopla was with facials until I got one. I came out feeling soooooo relaxed and *smooth* that I was a complete mess. Misplacing things, forgetting things -- it was completely as if I was high on somethin. My friend was clowing me that whole day and the followign day. Boy did I sleep good that night!
 
fomites said:
no, no, no. you should get her a gift certificate to a NICE spa. DOn't be cheap! Go for at least $100 or even $150.

This is worth FAR more than a pen, which although nice, is snooty, and will probably get lost in a week or so. Besides, what kind of pretentious ass clown doctor has to dig out a special pen to use and can't simply use the million or so drug rep pens floating around? As for the doctor bag, er um, somehow I don't think that's going to be useful. I have never seen anyone use one, and if I did, I'd have to take their lunch money and give them a wedgie.
I just got my pen in the mail yesterday from my best friend and it's something I will treasure for many years. And the only reason I even knew about them was that my MICU attending used one every day, and he is the farthest from being a "pretentious ass clown doctor" that you could imagine.

BTW, I know a lot of people who would love a day at the spa, myself included!
 
Thanks all - great suggestions! I actually decided to go with the leather prescription pad - I thought it was a unique idea. The spa idea is also very good - but we already have a tradition (myself and my two best friends - both dr's) where we go to the spa every few months for a "girls retreat", so I wanted something a little different than that.

Thanks for your help.
Steff
 
steffbyrne said:
Thanks all - great suggestions! I actually decided to go with the leather prescription pad - I thought it was a unique idea. The spa idea is also very good - but we already have a tradition (myself and my two best friends - both dr's) where we go to the spa every few months for a "girls retreat", so I wanted something a little different than that.

Thanks for your help.
Steff


Nooooooooooo! STOP!

A great gift would be portable GPS for the car! Yup! This is a great gift idea actually for any resident that will be in completely new surroundings for their residency! I got mine and it's awesome!!! 😎

Forget the leather Rx pad.....I mean c'mon, she'll get that from a drug rep.! 😀
 
vegas said:
Nooooooooooo! STOP!

A great gift would be portable GPS for the car! Yup! This is a great gift idea actually for any resident that will be in completely new surroundings for their residency! I got mine and it's awesome!!! 😎

Forget the leather Rx pad.....I mean c'mon, she'll get that from a drug rep.! 😀

Uh, no. Here's a fact: women don't need GPS because we STOP and ASK FOR DIRECTIONS!

That's kind of like getting a vacuum cleaner for a gift. Useful but a totally lame present....
 
sophiejane said:
Uh, no. Here's a fact: women don't need GPS because we STOP and ASK FOR DIRECTIONS!

That's kind of like getting a vacuum cleaner for a gift. Useful but a totally lame present....


......a vacuum cleaner, huh?!? you must be a different kind of woman then.

i know several ladies in luv with their GPS.

as for me, well, i'm no woman, and i've got a great sense of direction...i'm just a techno. buff 😀
 
ooooh. GPS!! What a great gift idea! I'm a techie person also, and I'm a chick. In fact, got a new car a couple weeks ago, and both my father and the salesman tried to talk em out of getting a GPS system/bluetooth, etc. (never thought I'd hear a car salesman try to talk you outta getting something more expensive). But all I could do was a Homer and go "mmmmmmm ..... buuuuutttonsssss". 😀

Of course, the additional $2000 pricetag was the final deciding factor but man, I want alll the toys I can get in life!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
vegas said:
......a vacuum cleaner, huh?!? you must be a different kind of woman then.

i know several ladies in luv with their GPS.

as for me, well, i'm no woman, and i've got a great sense of direction...i'm just a techno. buff 😀


Oh, and in the same light, I would actually love to get a vacuum too!! Especially one of those Dyson ones! I bought my mom a Roomba once -- but because we have a dog that sheds heavily semi-annually, the Roomba's engine was way too weak to takle his fur. But that was fun while it lasted!