Graham's Law

Started by folktale
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

folktale

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In a mixture of H2 and O2, the ratio of speeds of the hydrogen to the oxygen molecules is:

A. 1/16
B. 1/8
C. 1/4
D. 1/1

This is a simple example of Graham's Law, and I got it right, which is C.

Question is: It said the "ratio of speeds of the hydrogen TO the oxygen molecule"
I got 4/1, and what if it comes up on a question where there is two choices, one being 4/1 and the other 1/4? 4/1 would be the right answer for that most likely, but I am just kind of annoyed how the ratio in the choices is opposite to the ratio stated in the question.
 
In a mixture of H2 and O2, the ratio of speeds of the hydrogen to the oxygen molecules is:

A. 1/16
B. 1/8
C. 1/4
D. 1/1

This is a simple example of Graham's Law, and I got it right, which is C.

Question is: It said the "ratio of speeds of the hydrogen TO the oxygen molecule"
I got 4/1, and what if it comes up on a question where there is two choices, one being 4/1 and the other 1/4? 4/1 would be the right answer for that most likely, but I am just kind of annoyed how the ratio in the choices is opposite to the ratio stated in the question.


1/4 is correct. 4/1 is backwards. If the oxygen goes 10m/s, hydrogen goes 4x faster than oxygen. 4*10=40. The way you have it, if oxygen goes 10m/s, then hydrogen only goes 2.5m/s.
 
1/4 is correct. 4/1 is backwards. If the oxygen goes 10m/s, hydrogen goes 4x faster than oxygen. 4*10=40. The way you have it, if oxygen goes 10m/s, then hydrogen only goes 2.5m/s.

Noo, the ratio in the question asks for the ratio of the speeds of Hydrogen to Oxygen, which is H2/O2.

Clearly, the H2 will be faster than O2, and H2/O2 should be 4/1 NOT the other way around.