Grammar ? Using "I" or "me" after a verb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm writing the sentence: "My mom helped my sister (singular) and I", is it "I" or "me"? "My mom helped my sisters (plural) and I", is it "I" or "me"?

Members don't see this ad.

"me"

If you are ever in that situation, just imagine saying the sentence only including yourself.

My mom was about to help me. (You wouldn't My mom was about to help "I").....so it's "My mom was about to help my sisters and me, or my sister and me.

My English teacher cleared this up REALLY well back in the days...

When figuring out the difference between "me" and "I", ignore all the other nouns and pronouns.

For example, he and I went to the store. That's basically the same as "I went to the store." However, the store clerk yelled at him and me. He didn't yell at "he and I" or "him and I."

Members don't see this ad :)
I was taught that you use I before the verb and me after the verb.

um, it boils down to subject and object in relation to the verb.

like when you say "I went to the store" you are the subject of went and store is the object.

when you say "my mom yelled at me" mom is now the object and me is now the subject of the verb yelled. so usually after the verb, you have to use me because typically the object is after the verb.

when is I used other then at the start of a simple sentence? well, one case is when there's a plural subject, like "mike and I went to the store." now "I" isn't at the start of the sentence but "I" is still performing the verb "went."

Does that make any sense?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Philosphize:
[QB]when you say "my mom yelled at me" mom is now the object and me is now the subject of the verb yelled.QB]••••you probably figured it out, yogi, but philosophize meant mom is now the subject and me is the object . just wanted to make sure you didn't get more confused. :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Philosphize:
•um, it boils down to subject and object in relation to the verb.

like when you say "I went to the store" you are the subject of went and store is the object.

when you say "my mom yelled at me" mom is now the object and me is now the subject of the verb yelled. so usually after the verb, you have to use me because typically the object is after the verb.

when is I used other then at the start of a simple sentence? well, one case is when there's a plural subject, like "mike and I went to the store." now "I" isn't at the start of the sentence but "I" is still performing the verb "went."

Does that make any sense?•••••to clarify things, in the cases of the sentence i posted above, i use "me" both times, correct?

sorry bout the typo...