Grant funds for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstrub

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a F30 from the NIH, which includes roughly $4000/year in travel allowances. Here is the wording from the program announcement:

Institutional Allowance. At the time of publication of this program announcement, F30 fellows receive an institutional allowance of $2,750 per 12-month period to non-federal, or nonprofit sponsoring institutions to help defray such awardee expenses as research supplies, equipment, books, and travel to scientific meetings. This allowance is intended to cover training-related expenses for the individual awardee and is not available until the fellow officially activates the award. If an individual fellow is enrolled or engaged in training for less than six months of the award year, only one-half of that year's allowance may be charged to the grant. The Notice of Research Fellowship Award will be revised, and the balance must be refunded to NIH.

At the time of publication of this program announcement, NIH will provide an institutional allowance of up to $1,650 for F30 fellows sponsored by Federal laboratories or for-profit institutions for expenses associated with travel to scientific meetings, health insurance, and books. For fellows at for-profit institutions, the $1,650 will be paid to the institution for disbursement to the fellow. Funds for fellows at Federal laboratories will be disbursed from the NIH awarding Institute.

Sooo....I want to try and use this money for interviews, and God willing, boards. Wouldn't testing be "training related expenses"? If not, I am going to try and find "scientific meetings" at the institutions I am interviewing at. Anyone with experience in this matter please advise!
Thanks,
G

Members don't see this ad.

I second that thought! That would be awesome to use that money for interviews and USMLE stuff!

Neuronix - question for you - I know that we both heard that we were going to be funded and now my era commons site says 'to be paid' but I haven't received an email or anything - have you? I'm afraid that my schools new spam filtersystem may have filtered it as well :(. thanks!