Grants and Scholarships for Undergrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyclin M

megaman
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you could help me out with some grants and scholarships that are nationally recognized.

I looked at the NIH site but all they have for undergrads are the REU summers, but since I'm staying in my lab every summer that is not too useful.

I looked up stuff like DoD and DHS grants, which are amazing, but now they added a 2 year service requirement and I do not plan on delaying my MD/PhD for that long.

Currently I have just about every grant my school offers for science (like small research grants/travel grants), but these are small awards compared to national awards such as the Goldwater scholarship. Unfortunately I did not know about that and missed it :(

I am aiming for Gates/Cambridge right now, which is a fellowship, but if anyone can enlighten me as to what undergrad scholarships are out there for me I would appreciate it.

If anyone has insight as to whether or not I can apply for NIH grants as an undergrad that would be awesome too. As always thanks in advance...now back to work.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

AHA has scholarships for undergrads doing research related to heart/circulatory system. However, I believe the deadline passed yesterday =(

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for your input guys. A lot of these require me to be eskimo or some other unique ethnicity, or I need to be disadvantaged.

I would love to apply to a summer program, but I know that in 10 weeks there is no way I can get a publication out, taking into account training and whatnot.

I guess I will aim for this Gates thing hard and try my best.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it. :thumbup:

bump

I just heard about an undergrad at Johns Hopkins that got a grant for some kind of vision research.

You may want to consider applying for the British Marshall scholarship or Rhodes Scholarship. You will have to put in at least one year of service but those will give you a lifetime of recognition.

You may want to consider applying for the British Marshall scholarship or Rhodes Scholarship. You will have to put in at least one year of service but those will give you a lifetime of recognition.

I looked into these, but I will probably have to defer admission into the MSTP by 2 years. I believe Gates is only 1 year, although Marshall under certain circumstances can be shortened to 1 year. I will look more into this, thanks,:thumbup:

Thanks I will keep this in mind if I'm lucky enough to be accepted into an MSTP program next year.:thumbup:

I believe Gates is only 1 year, although Marshall under certain circumstances can be shortened to 1 year.

Don't know about Gates, but Marshall is always two years. The Rhodes does have a one-year option (where you receive a master's instead of a PhD).

Don't know about Gates, but Marshall is always two years. The Rhodes does have a one-year option (where you receive a master's instead of a PhD).

hmm interesting. So why would I want to do Rhodes before MSTP if I can get a PhD from it?

^ bump ^

Since undergrad funding seems pretty hard to come by, how do I go about applying for an NIH grant and stuff of that sort?

Where should I start reading up on this kind of thing? Currently I have an idea that I think people will want to fund. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

The Marshall Scholarship folks have funds available for third year study, and have even made exceptions for a fouth year, if I recall correctly.

So, no it is not limited to two years. Just hunt around on the web a bit for confirmation.

Rhodes and MSTP are not mutually exclusive. The link I posted leads to a program where you do your PhD first, as a Rhodes Scholar, then you do your MD as part of NIH's MSTP program. The advantages are that you get all the bennies of being a Rhodes Scholar and you get NIH to pay for your MD.

The Marshall Scholarship folks have funds available for third year study, and have even made exceptions for a fouth year, if I recall correctly.

So, no it is not limited to two years. Just hunt around on the web a bit for confirmation.

Rhodes and MSTP are not mutually exclusive. The link I posted leads to a program where you do your PhD first, as a Rhodes Scholar, then you do your MD as part of NIH's MSTP program. The advantages are that you get all the bennies of being a Rhodes Scholar and you get NIH to pay for your MD.

Thanks, that sounds like the way to go then. Off to pursue bennies!:thumbup: