Graph Reading Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeep1010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2017-2-9_13-7-43.png

So I was between A and C for this question. So usually I would look at the error bars and see if they intersect, and if they do, it is deemed not significant. However, here it is difficult to compare error bars in the graph presented.

I don't really understand their rationale for A, and for C is there a general rule by how much the data increases or decreases where it is deemed insignificant?

Members don't see this ad.

If you look closely, I do believe the error bars overlap, making the difference between caffeine-treatment and controls non significant. A is not correct because it explains the general trend in the graphs but doesn't mention caffeine treatment vs. no caffeine treatment. In other words, carb oxidation decreases and fat oxidation increases throughout exercise regardless of the independent variables. Therefore, you can't draw any conclusion about the experiment based only on the fact that carb oxidation decreases and fat oxidation increases during exercise.

Reactions: 1 user