graveyard hospital pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

inpatientRPH

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be working as an overnight hospital pharmacist and I am very nervous right now. 😱

I am sure they will train me first before I pick up my normal shift but I want to ask those who are currently working as an overnight hospital pharmacists a very practical question. How do you handle when you encounter an order/a question that you don't know how to do and you are the only pharmacist on duty during your shift. Do you call a neighbor hospital and hope they can help you or do you just serch on-line for your answers? 😕
 
I'll be working as an overnight hospital pharmacist and I am very nervous right now. 😱

I am sure they will train me first before I pick up my normal shift but I want to ask those who are currently working as an overnight hospital pharmacists a very practical question. How do you handle when you encounter an order/a question that you don't know how to do and you are the only pharmacist on duty during your shift. Do you call a neighbor hospital and hope they can help you or do you just serch on-line for your answers? 😕

Hello. Welcome to 3rd shift. First stop calling it graveyard. I prefer 'nightshift' and/or 'moonrise'. Second you will learn its pretty sweet if you get the 7 on/7 off.

To answer your questions, at our hospital we have two nightshift pharmacists so we can ask each other. We are also part of a hospital/health system so we can call other hospitals in our system if we have a question that stumps both of us.

When I get to work I pull up the following tabs on one Internet Explorer browser window. 1. Lexi-comp, 2. Micromedex, 3. Up to Date, 4. Global RPh. It's quite difficult to stump all of those sources. I suppose I have googled things once in a awhile.

Finally, yes make sure they train you.

I searched some of your other posts and it seems you already want to transfer to days and/or aren't excited about your opportunity. Nightshift is fun. You get every other week off, it's less stressful, your boss isn't constantly on your case, embrace it!
 
I'll be working as an overnight hospital pharmacist and I am very nervous right now. 😱

I am sure they will train me first before I pick up my normal shift but I want to ask those who are currently working as an overnight hospital pharmacists a very practical question. How do you handle when you encounter an order/a question that you don't know how to do and you are the only pharmacist on duty during your shift. Do you call a neighbor hospital and hope they can help you or do you just serch on-line for your answers? 😕

We also have sister hospitals nearby to call for help on order entry questions. If it's a clinical type of question, you should be able to research it... and if you find nothing than you should have a clinical coordinator on call as a backup. Yeah, it sucks to wake them up at 3AM but it's their job. They should expect calls from you during your first few months. After 6 months of working 3rd shift, you will have experienced 99% of everything and you'll be a pro.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be working as an overnight hospital pharmacist and I am very nervous right now. 😱

I am sure they will train me first before I pick up my normal shift but I want to ask those who are currently working as an overnight hospital pharmacists a very practical question. How do you handle when you encounter an order/a question that you don't know how to do and you are the only pharmacist on duty during your shift. Do you call a neighbor hospital and hope they can help you or do you just serch on-line for your answers? 😕

Not a RPH, but I am a tech on nightshift.

Assuming this is not a stat order needed now, then you can always flag it and hold it until the morning pharmacists get there.
If it is a question regarding unclear writing, you can always ask your tech what they think they see as a second check on it and call the nurse who faxed the order and ask them for clarification.

The hardest stuff you will encounter on nights will usually fall towards Nicu situations and ICU situations.
I remember one night we had both a baby coding and a heart attack occur within minutes of each other. At this point you just have to make a priority. neonate > Heart Attack > normal items. I was in the IV room making the meds for the neonate and the pharmacist was doing the calculations/entering the orders for the meds for the neonate and the HA patient. During this time you just have to let the phone go, as you do not want to screw up a neonate order.

On the upside, as another poster stated, you will encounter most situations within a few months of the shift. Yes stuff will surprise you, but they will be few and far between.

Of course I also work at a Hospital with a Stage 3 NICU, so we consistently have neonates in bad shape. Woot woot for teenage mothers who think not getting prenatal care is fine because then you can hide that you're pregnant for longer.

Ask questions...to both the RPHs and any nightshift techs you work with. Trust me the nightshift techs know a lot more then most of the RPHs about how things go at night.

Some things to ask/do that you may not think of:

1) How do they handle crash cart replacement at night? At my hospital a nurse goes to central supply and gets a new cart. Then pharmacy puts a new drug box in the cart and places a lock on it. This seems simple, but if you put a new drug box in a used crash cart, you could get into trouble. The nurses will sell you out in a heartbeat. 'Oh pharmacy told me this was fine...."

2) How do they handle narcotic discrepancies? Paperwork that may need to be completed or maybe computer systems you must use. This way you are sure that whatever needed to be done is done properly. At the end of the day it is your responsibility to ensure the tech does everything that needs to be done. Clearly the tech will know what to do and should be doing it, unless you get stuck with a crap tech. At that point, it would be in your best interest to make sure management knows you got a slacker.

3) How to work any machinery for dispensing meds? Yes your tech will be dispensing stuff, but it is nice to know how to do it without asking the tech 15 questions on how to do it.

4) Ask about the procedures for Borrowing/Loaning items. Courier phone #, Hospital Acct. #, #'s for other hospitals you can borrow/loan to, etc. Typically there will be a binder or something with all this information in it, but it is nice to know where to find this. At the moment there are several drug shortages, so you will probably have a list of DO NOT LOAN items...make sure you do not loan them, as you will probably get flack for that...especially if you end up running out yourself.

5) Get to know your tech. It will just be you 2, unless your hospital has 2 techs/2 pharmacists. I am sure it would suck working a shift where you hate your only coworker. Your tech can help you or hinder you a lot. I can take care of 90% of the calls we receive at night (assuming the a**hat nurse will tell me what they want to know..because only a RPH can answer their question).
Most calls are:
Can you print me an MAR?
Did you receive order X?
Can you change the time for med Y? (I cannot change the time, but I can tell them to fill out the proper paperwork and fax it down)
Do you have med Z?
Can I run med Y with med Z? (Yes a tech can read/use micromedix...if it is an odd combination or if the results look odd I can ask the RPH)
Questions regarding meds not showing up on the profile or meds that should not be there. Here I can look at the orders and see if I can find the problem. Sometimes I can't and I pass it on to the RPH. Other times I can and I just let the RPH know that it needs to be fixed when they get a chance.

Clearly most of this is based off of your techs comfort level and experience working with orders and such.

Otherwise...Nightshift is fun.

Oh yea...find a dark, quiet room in your house to sleep. It will make your week on so much better if you get a good 8hrs of sleep each day.
 
I work the night shift at a 400 bed hospital in Miami. I had worked day shift for a year at another trauma center before taking this position. honestly I wasn't worried but then again I had good work experience prior to starting nights. My biggest concern was that i would get bored or be left doing brainless tasks and lose all of my clinical skills. I couldn't have been more wrong,.You should embrace the fact that you will be faced with so many challenges and strange problems. you will witness you knowledge base grow exponentially. When you come across something you don't know, trust me, you will remember it for the rest of your career. Working night shift really forces you to think critically and independently. my fear of doing mindless "staffing" duties proved to be ridiculous. I am responsable for anticoagulant monitoring, antibimicrobial stewardship and IV to PO (sounds lame but even IV to PO offers many learning experiences while reviewing MD progress notes)Honestly, the only problem I see with nightshift is for people who simply can't stay awake or sleep during the day. I love it!
 
I work 2nd shift 7 on 7 off late shift so its similar to night shift. I started fresh out of school with 0 experience and was working with another guy who graduated with me by ourselves for 5-6 hours a day within 5 months of graduating. There were some stressful moments getting questions about drugs you barely know anything about, but your hospital likely will have a glutt of resources you can use.

I wouldn't worry so much about running into clinical questions you can't answer. If you can't find an answer within 4-5 minutes in lexi-comp or uptodate, you probably aren't going to find one without an in depth literature search which you aren't going to do as a staff pharmacist at night at least. You will likely have much more problems with hospital specific policy/procedure questions and Accudose/EMAR/BMV questions. Nurses call pharmacy for anything semi-related to a medication so accudoses not working, EMAR machines battery won't charge, who refills the needles on in their supply closets, etc. will be more of your typical questions than anything clinical. You don't necessarily have to learn how to fix all these things, but you'll need to know who to tell them to call. You should be intimately aware of your hospital medication policies. This will save you a lot of headaches in the future.
I wish you luck. I hear some people who really enjoy their hospital's night shift. Ours is terrible because its only 1 pharmacist spread very thin (302 beds, but we have a ton of doctors who only come in at night and we do a lot of pharmacy consults for all kinds of stuff). I wouldn't do it even for a night, but I love my 2nd shift job!
 
I would never put an inexperienced pharmacist at night solo. At night you are the DOP, clinical manager, supsrvisor, IT pharamcist and in charge of medication management practice of your facility. Unless you are paired up with an experienced night pharmacist, you aint going solo. Knowing the policy and procedures is important. But more important is your ability to make critical and right decisions.