GRE for lower GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnt179

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...What would be a good or better yet, a great GRE score for a lower GPA (3.2)?

Members don't see this ad.

It would depend on whether or not you have a state school (and what state school that is), and what esle you have going for yourself (ECs, LORs,...).

Maybe 1300s? Study & do YOUR best.

This may sound stupid...but what does ECs and LORs stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in TN. But I want to go to Mississippi State

Extracurricular activities (ECs) and letters of recommendation (LORs).
In other words; vet experience, life experience, etc.

Honestly, I think it'd be a long shot to get in as an out-of-state applicant with a 3.2 - TN is a great school, and tuition will be MUCH cheaper...which you will appreciate later (if you are taking out loans).

EDIT - even as an in-state applicant it won't be a cake-walk... but can be done. Any reason why you want to go to MS over TN? (Just curious)

I know is sounds petty, but MSS is closer to home. Also, I have been told by a UT adjunct professor that I would have a better chance at getting in at MSS that UT because of my lower GPA. I have worked my butt off getting it to a 3.2 and I still have several classes to finish before I have my prereqs out of the way. I had a math class that I made a D in my freshman year and I have been working against that ever since. I also plan on retaking it this next fall, so that will help a little.

I didn't apply to either MS or TN, so I don't know enough about either school to comment... however, all I can say is do your own research. Get the stats from each school and see for yourself. I've been misguided more than once by advisors/etc.

Regarding the low GPA... I've been there. :eek:
Good luck.

I don't know much about those schools, but I had a 3.2 undergrad and got an interview at UC Davis this year - my GRE scores were 780 Q, 740 V, 4.0 AW. Didn't get in, though - hopefully next year when I have more experience, I will ... I agree with the advice to check with the particular schools. Davis specifically says you can balance out lower GPAs with a higher GRE score. Good luck! :luck: :luck:

Hey guys...What would be a good or better yet, a great GRE score for a lower GPA (3.2)?

My experience is similar to ShelterGirl's. I had a very high GRE and a 3.2 GPA and got into 1 out of the 10 american vet schools I applied to.

I did terrible on my GRE (980), but I have a 3.68 GPA (still not awesome, but pretty good). I took my GRE twice and was terrified that it would keep me out of vet school. During my AU interview they asked me what I think is negative on my application and I got the chance to explain my GRE. I said I hated the fact that an english and math standarized test was going to keep from being a vet. I had 5 years of vet tech experience (plus volunteer stuff) and I think that helped a lot. I was put on the waiting list and got in 2 weeks ago. So... it's not just about grades and tests... good for me!

I'd say at least 1400 - and make sure your Q is at least 780...1500 would be better but that's starting to get tough (even with 800Q it's hard to break 700V)