GRE for lower GPA

Started by jnt179
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jnt179

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys...What would be a good or better yet, a great GRE score for a lower GPA (3.2)?
 
It would depend on whether or not you have a state school (and what state school that is), and what esle you have going for yourself (ECs, LORs,...).

Maybe 1300s? Study & do YOUR best.
 
This may sound stupid...but what does ECs and LORs stand for?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Extracurricular activities (ECs) and letters of recommendation (LORs).
In other words; vet experience, life experience, etc.

Honestly, I think it'd be a long shot to get in as an out-of-state applicant with a 3.2 - TN is a great school, and tuition will be MUCH cheaper...which you will appreciate later (if you are taking out loans).

EDIT - even as an in-state applicant it won't be a cake-walk... but can be done. Any reason why you want to go to MS over TN? (Just curious)
 
I know is sounds petty, but MSS is closer to home. Also, I have been told by a UT adjunct professor that I would have a better chance at getting in at MSS that UT because of my lower GPA. I have worked my butt off getting it to a 3.2 and I still have several classes to finish before I have my prereqs out of the way. I had a math class that I made a D in my freshman year and I have been working against that ever since. I also plan on retaking it this next fall, so that will help a little.
 
I didn't apply to either MS or TN, so I don't know enough about either school to comment... however, all I can say is do your own research. Get the stats from each school and see for yourself. I've been misguided more than once by advisors/etc.

Regarding the low GPA... I've been there. 😱
Good luck.
 
I don't know much about those schools, but I had a 3.2 undergrad and got an interview at UC Davis this year - my GRE scores were 780 Q, 740 V, 4.0 AW. Didn't get in, though - hopefully next year when I have more experience, I will ... I agree with the advice to check with the particular schools. Davis specifically says you can balance out lower GPAs with a higher GRE score. Good luck! :luck: :luck:
 
Hey guys...What would be a good or better yet, a great GRE score for a lower GPA (3.2)?

My experience is similar to ShelterGirl's. I had a very high GRE and a 3.2 GPA and got into 1 out of the 10 american vet schools I applied to.
 
I did terrible on my GRE (980), but I have a 3.68 GPA (still not awesome, but pretty good). I took my GRE twice and was terrified that it would keep me out of vet school. During my AU interview they asked me what I think is negative on my application and I got the chance to explain my GRE. I said I hated the fact that an english and math standarized test was going to keep from being a vet. I had 5 years of vet tech experience (plus volunteer stuff) and I think that helped a lot. I was put on the waiting list and got in 2 weeks ago. So... it's not just about grades and tests... good for me!
 
I'd say at least 1400 - and make sure your Q is at least 780...1500 would be better but that's starting to get tough (even with 800Q it's hard to break 700V)