GRE for MSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizzy0525

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I apologize if this question has been asked before, I did a quick search and did not find anything; please re-direct me if needed. I just have a quick question about GRE requirements for MSW programs. As I have begun researching schools/seriously considering the ones that I want to apply to, I have noticed that almost all of the schools I am considering do not require GRE scores. This is slightly concerning because I have already registered to take GRE classes in June and have already begun studying. If the schools I am looking at don't even require the GRE, then I don't want to waste my time/money! From what I understand, schools suggest submitting GRE scores only if your GPA is not that great. As of right now (I am a rising Senior) I have a 3.7 and I have clinical work experience (I work as an On-Call Residential Youth Counselor for an emergency youth shelter).

So, my question is: is it worth it to take the GRE anyway, just in case? Or, what could I be doing with my time, instead of studying, so as to be more appealing to MSW programs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if almost all of the schools you are considering do not require GRE scores, how much do you want to go to the ones that do?

Take it anyway, and submit the scores anyway. I got accepted into every school I applied to. I think this is because I had the GRE scores sent (they were excellent scores).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello:

I was actually in this same situation a few months ago. I'm also a prospective MSW student. What I would recommend is contacting the schools you are interested in applying to directly and ask them if there is any benefit in sending a score. A few places I'm interested in flat out told me it's not worth my time and energy because they won't look at the scores at all.

I personally opted not to take it because it's an expensive test, so I saw it more as a waste of money with very little benefit. Anyway, I hope this helped!

Hello:

I was actually in this same situation a few months ago. I'm also a prospective MSW student. What I would recommend is contacting the schools you are interested in applying to directly and ask them if there is any benefit in sending a score. A few places I'm interested in flat out told me it's not worth my time and energy because they won't look at the scores at all.

I personally opted not to take it because it's an expensive test, so I saw it more as a waste of money with very little benefit. Anyway, I hope this helped!

I'm with JBums. The GRE won't benefit you academically or as a clinician. It's a thing unto itself (something needed to get past the admissions gatekeepers). It's a mistake to think that sending extra things will give you a boost at admissions time (they will likely throw it in a pile and never look at it; extra things = extra work no wants to do). With your GPA you'll be head and shoulders about most of the competition. Unless you really need to go to one of the schools that require the GRE (i.e. it's the top school in the region and the alumni network has a lock on hiring), you'll be wasting your time. Even if you need it later because you decide to go on for the doctorate, they can change the format of the test again in the interim, etc. So you might end up retaking it anyway. Your time would be better spent studying the DSM, research methods, clinical research in your area. etc.

It's not expensive. It's less than $200. :p

1. OP stated s/he doesn't want to waste her time/money if test isn't needed ("Start where the client is at," as they say).

2. some people feel pressured to take expensive prep courses to compete.

3. if you are a social worker and think $200 isn't a lot of money for some people, i'd be very interested to hear what type of populations you intend to serve.

1. OP stated s/he doesn't want to waste her time/money if test isn't needed ("Start where the client is at," as they say).

2. some people feel pressured to take expensive prep courses to compete.

3. if you are a social worker and think $200 isn't a lot of money for some people, i'd be very interested to hear what type of populations you intend to serve.

Agreed. :thumbup: And (to OP) wigflip is dead-on regarding extra things = extra work no one wants to do. Plus, if you submit your GRE scores to schools that do not require them, there is really no point of comparison between you and other applicants (who do not submit scores) on that basis.

Another vote for not wasting an investment of time/money unless you really want to apply to a program that requires it.

I took the exam without studying. I personally wouldn't recommend this strategy. Unless you have the time (and motivation!) to properly prepare for it, and you want to throw money away for an exam that sounds like it may only be useful for select programs to which you want to apply, how badly do you want to go to those programs? I decided not to take the psych GRE for this reason. There were some programs that required or recommended it, but many more that did not. I did not want to waste more money when I already had plenty of expenses elsewhere for app fees, transcripts, the plain ole' GRE fee and score reports, etc. Some of us aren't made of money. :p

However, having said this, there is the option (if you decide to take it) to not report your scores immediately after you take the exam. Unfortunately, this is before you actually see your score, so you don't know if you really screwed the pooch as you thought you did or if you were simply being overly anxious.