GRE Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utahpt1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been studying off and on for about 2 months for the GRE and am struggling to get higher on the Quant section. I am taking the test in 9 days and need some last minute tips if you have any. I have taken quite a few practice tests and these were my scores for the official ETS ones. Also I am wondering how close your real test scores were to your ETC practice tests?

1st attempt
Quant: 149
Verbal: 149
2nd attempt
Quant: 149
Verbal: 155

Members don't see this ad.

Do hundreds of practice problems. No seriously. Do a stupid amount of practice problems, no joke. If you're like me and math is just rough, then just brute force your way into getting better with so much repetition your friends will think you do practice quizzes for a living.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if this helps at all, but here were my scores:

Practice:
V1: 140
V2: 145
Q1: 151
Q2: 150
A: ???

Actual:
V: 152 (56th)
Q: 154 (55th)
A: 4.0 (60th)

I only studied for a month(ish), so I'm sure you're going to at least hit that 300 mark.

like previously states, get your hands on as many practice materials as possible and just keep doing problems until you are literally sick of doing them. There is only so many ways to ask the same questions.

I have Kaplan's GRE study books. It came with 2 full lengthed practice tests. I also took 1 Practicest test from GRE PowerPrep, and I want to take the second GRE PP test a week before my real test date.
Until then, I need to work on my stamina so I am looking for other full length practice test! What is the best resource for free (or relatively cheap) online full length practice test? preferably with answers/explanations. I took one from crunch prep, but i think the questions were not very accurate as compared to the other gre tests (CP was much harder) and they wouldn't let me see explanations unless i bought their course.

Anyone have any recommendations?? I only have 2 weeks to go!

I have Kaplan's GRE study books. It came with 2 full lengthed practice tests. I also took 1 Practicest test from GRE PowerPrep, and I want to take the second GRE PP test a week before my real test date.
Until then, I need to work on my stamina so I am looking for other full length practice test! What is the best resource for free (or relatively cheap) online full length practice test? preferably with answers/explanations. I took one from crunch prep, but i think the questions were not very accurate as compared to the other gre tests (CP was much harder) and they wouldn't let me see explanations unless i bought their course.

If you buy any of the manhattan prep strategy guides from amazon (roughly $15 for one), they come with like 6 full length practice tests. They're online and they all have explanations.

Magoosh helped me a lot
I only studied for about 5 weeks using nothing but magoosh. Their video lessons are awesome and you can take lots of practice tests to get a good idea of how you're progressing. Costs about 120 bucks but it was worth it.

Magoosh helped me a lot
I only studied for about 5 weeks using nothing but magoosh. Their video lessons are awesome and you can take lots of practice tests to get a good idea of how you're progressing. Costs about 120 bucks but it was worth it.
Yea magoosh is awesome I've been using it for the past 2 months

Highly recommend Magoosh. First time I took the GRE I scored 150 Q and 155 V. After using Magoosh and watching their videos for about a month I improved my score to 155 Q and 156 V.
As for last minute tips, don't be afraid to skip questions you don't know how to solve. Do the ones you know first. And make sure you don't forget to breathe!

Magoosh.
The practice tests on magoosh were really well done, and the material was a little bit harder than the actual GRE.

If you buy any of the manhattan prep strategy guides from amazon (roughly $15 for one), they come with like 6 full length practice tests. They're online and they all have explanations.
Thanks! Given my low budget, this would have been my best option. Magoosh was a bit expensive for only a few weeks of being able to use it before my test. thank you again

Reactions: 1 user

I took 7 practice tests. ETS offers 2 free online tests. Kaplan, Princeton, and Manhattan each offer one free online test. I also bought the ETS book, which had 2 written tests. I imagine you could find it (or an older version) at the library. I thought those 7 provided enough practice.