GRE or part 2 advice please??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nolls

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello friends

I was preparing for part 2 since 15 days now and had decided to give the exam on 30th of april.
All the time i was worried about my visa,..
that is i dont have a visa to come back for interveiws.

yesterday, I spoke to the dean of the state uni. here and told him that i am interested in MS in molecular biology and put front some research interests. He asked me to take GRE and apply right away, you are late but we will try and consider you.

I am planning to give GRE instead of part 2, so that i can get an I 20 and then I can apply for student visa. If I get F1 i can come by augest and I will have ample time for part 2.

what do u all suggest?
thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Nolls
hello friends

I was preparing for part 2 since 15 days now and had decided to give the exam on 30th of april.
All the time i was worried about my visa,..
that is i dont have a visa to come back for interveiws.

yesterday, I spoke to the dean of the state uni. here and told him that i am interested in MS in molecular biology and put front some research interests. He asked me to take GRE and apply right away, you are late but we will try and consider you.

I am planning to give GRE instead of part 2, so that i can get an I 20 and then I can apply for student visa. If I get F1 i can come by augest and I will have ample time for part 2.

what do u all suggest?
thanks in advance.

If he's willing to make an exception for you, is probably 'cause they don't have many applicants, and thus are needy of them. So, if he's willing to give you a chance sounds like a good idea, IF you plan on finishing it. And yes, you'll have plenty of time to finish part 2 if you join the MS.

hi meggs

thanks for the reply
i am inclined towards taking GRE and focusing on getting F1
if I am back by augest, i have lot of time for part 2
the risk in this decision is ..what if i get rejected at the embassy..for F1.
in that case i will have to apply with part 1 score only.
but i guess i will have to take that risk.
for that matter i can keep preparing for part 2 while i am india
and give part 2 when i come for interviews (i dont know how i will come back if F1 is rejected, may be, will try visitors again)
kajakiran got results with in a weeks time.
so i think, i shdn`t be woried about part 2.

just wondering whether i am doing the right thing..

thanks for ur reponses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I would finish your Part 2 and order a nice mahogany finished framed certificate from the ADA. There is nothing like looking at your NBDE Certificate mounted on nice frame on your wall. After all, you'd earned it! You really get that sense of accomplishment!!!GRE? I personally wouldn't bother unless you want to get into PhD program or non-clinical oral health programs... after all, they all come with like 3 year expiry date, don't they?

Nolls if your point is to get an F1 visa to be able to be present for the interviews, maybe you should enroll in some Kaplan program. They can grant you an F1 visa for the lenght of the program.

And for Kaplan all you've to do is pay and that's it, you're in. Make sure you enroll in the longest program they offer.

Nolls if your point is to get an F1 visa to be able to be present for the interviews, maybe you should enroll in some Kaplan program. They can grant you an F1 visa for the lenght of the program.
I am not sure if it would be possible for u to get an F1 visa with an I-20 from kaplan( the US consulate might reject the visa).
Most of the people who are already here on an F-1 visa to other schools take a transfer to kaplan to save money. ( this I know is possible for sure).

Originally posted by itsme
I am not sure if it would be possible for u to get an F1 visa with an I-20 from kaplan( the US consulate might reject the visa).
Most of the people who are already here on an F-1 visa to other schools take a transfer to kaplan to save money. ( this I know is possible for sure).

That's a good point. Maybe Nolls could look into some other class he could join that sponsors F1 visa. I think some English classes at a community college might do it. I'm not sure though, I just heard that.

hi all

i considered all that was said to me by all of u and family and firends,.. and decided to take part 2 before i leave from here.
i have exactly 20 days.
i waisted a lot of time,...
i think i will give a try this time, if i dont do well, i will take it again
i dont know what i can achive in 20 days but may be i`ll give my best to it
now i just need some motivation and stability of mind to stick to this decision.
thank you all so much.
It was very sweet of all of you.

hey Nolls

what meggs and itsme has said is very good idea ..........
I can suggest you one thing like if you are here then get enrolled into some public health program and take I20 from them and apply for status change here in USA itself .....so you get a preapproved F1 visa and with this you can go to india ..and come back....

then once you come here since you have I20 , so leave the public health course and join Kaplan which will give you I20 plus a status to stay in USA...
I have a friend doing this here so Iwill ask her in details..