1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

GRE Prep Books - Do years matter?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by glasscandie, Dec 30, 2008.

1. glasscandie

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I'm contemplating buying a few GRE prep books off of Amazon, but the prep books are published in 2007, and the vocab cards are from 2008...does that make a difference?

ETA: It's for the 2009 GRE's that I'm studying for.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. glasscandie

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I just ordered a Kaplan test book/CD for 2009 on Amazon. I figured I didn't want to chance it.

4. apumic

apumic Oracle of the Sheet
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not really... as long as it's recent, no one really knows exactly what will be on the random edition you're given anyway -- the source material is outdated. Your best bet is probably to get the official guide and do all 7 practice tests along w/ the 2 CATs on the Power Prep CD. A good review from an used Princeton Review bk will help and you can do one free CAT on the Princeton's Review's website in addition to all the others. That will likely be plenty of study material. I wouldn't spend any more time than that on the GRE as once you're above 1300-1400 or so, it really doesn't make much of a difference anyway as I understand.

5. glasscandie

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Where can I get the official guide? On Amazon or something? As well as the Power Prep CD?

6. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

You can download Powerprep for free from the GRE website.

7. Boston2k

10+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    When I studied for the GRE I compared the 2005 and 2007 editions of the Princeton Review book and there was basically no difference. But, I would still probably buy the newest one just for my sanity's sake - you're going to be spending over $800 on the application process anyways, why risk anything just to save 10 bucks.