GRE prep infos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrs_doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can someone please tell me what are the best resources out there to prepare for a GRE ( aiming the highest score possible ).
How long does it usually take to prepare for such a test? ( I can study full time ).
I am a MD in Family medicine...

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't find many reviews on study materials for the new GRE (I assume). My suggestion is to look over the free material from the website and get to know the format; get a math workbook (one for the old GRE is fine) and study vocabulary. If there is new PowerPrep software for the revised test, use that. Strengthen your skills in reading comprehension (you can use a book for the old GRE as nothing really changed in that aspect). I've taken both versions of the exam and I think you can do just as well using old study materials. The vocabulary is just as hard on the new exam so make sure you study that alot.

Look at reviews on Amazon.

There are some books out there specifically for the new GRE. I used Barron's, Gruber's and Princeton Review's books, and when I finished those books, I used my friend's LSAT books to practice my reading comprehension.

The quantitative for the new GRE is not that different from the old, in terms of difficulty and questions, so you can still use old GRE practice books to study your math. The verbal for the new GRE is just sentence completions and reading comp, so just memorizing vocab words wouldn't be a bad idea.

Good luck!