GRE questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desNuages

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just left the GRE and completely bombed the quant section, but did well on the verbal. V 165 Q 147
For reference, I'm looking to get a MPH in Health Management and Policy. My questions...

1. Obviously I need to retake the test to get my quant up, but has anyone heard of anyone getting into a good program with a sub 50% on the GRE? People get in with worse for wear GPAs, so this must happen too, right?

2. The earliest I can take the test again is Nov 22. Is this too late? The school with the earliest deadline that I am applying to is Michigan, which is Dec 15.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel most schools know the percentile breakdown of Quant scores is skewed, how was your performance in math courses during undergrad? I wouldn't consider yourself out of the running whatsoever, especially since your verbal score is fantastic and policy isn't quant heavy. As long as you can explain well why the score isn't great and the rest of your application is strong, I think you will be more than fine.

Thanks for your response Boisdejasmin (fellow french username haver)

My only explanation for my poor quant score is that I am not great at math to begin with and pretty rusty. I have a B- and an A- in college math, the A- is from taking Statistics online in the Spring. I just emailed Columbia to ask about GRE score distribution, I hope they are able to give me some insight!

I feel most schools know the percentile breakdown of Quant scores is skewed, how was your performance in math courses during undergrad? I wouldn't consider yourself out of the running whatsoever, especially since your verbal score is fantastic and policy isn't quant heavy. As long as you can explain well why the score isn't great and the rest of your application is strong, I think you will be more than fine.