GRE prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nimi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,I am a foreign trained dentist .I would to know how important is writing GRE for post graduate admission .Does it really helps ? .How long does it take to prepare for GRE and what are the study materials to get good marks ? .Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks much
nimi

Members don't see this ad.

Nimi,

I know that majority (if not all) of Endodontics Post-doctoral dental training requires the GRE. To me, I think it's BUL# Shi@!! So, let me understand this, for a typical U.S. dental students, you've taken the DAT, NBDE Part I, NBDE Part II, and your regional licensure exam (or your state licensure exam), now you have to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) if you want to go into Endo!? Maybe since the Endo. specialty is so competitive that dental schools want it to make it MORE competitive by adding a "BS" examination in there (one more step that you'll have to take to apply).

At any rate, to answer you questions, yes, GRE is important in "some" post-doctoral dental training (for example: Endodontics). I'm not sure about Ortho, Pedo, Perio, or Prostho if GRE is needed. I know for sure that Oral Surgery, Advanced Education General Dentistry (AEGD), and General Practice Residency (GPR), the GRE is NOT required!

GRE studying materials, there are so many!!! I would recommend Kaplan, all their studying courses and printing materials are usually pretty good. I provided you with their web site:

<a href="http://www.kaptest.com/repository/templates/Lev3InitDroplet.jhtml?_lev3Parent=/www/KapTest/docs/repository/content/Graduate/GRE" target="_blank">http://www.kaptest.com/repository/templates/Lev3InitDroplet.jhtml?_lev3Parent=/www/KapTest/docs/repository/content/Graduate/GRE</a>

For the official GRE web site, visit:

<a href="http://www.gre.org/" target="_blank">http://www.gre.org/</a>

Good luck!

:cool:

Hi ,thanks so much for your reply and information .I heard that in the Ohio state University they need GRE score for most of the branches in to which foreign students are accepted like Ortho & Perio where as for Endo they are not accepting foreign trained dentists .Also in most schools for Ortho post graduate program they are asking GRE .
take care

Members don't see this ad :)
Nimi,

Again, I can see why Ortho post-doctoral programs also requires GRE, it's one of two most competitive specialty to get into (the other one being Endo). Perio also needs GRE, man, should we take the SAT or the ACT again also? :confused:

Now, as a foreign candidate for post-doctoral dental programs, do you have more applicational requirements than U.S. dental graduates? Just wondering.

Hi ,I was just wondering what is this class of 2006 !!! ???
take care

Class of 2006 = the year I will graduate from dental school and I'm a part of that graduating class.

I start my dental education this upcoming August 2002, four years later (2006), I'll graduate. Therefore, "Class of 2006"!!

:clap:

I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that the GRE was required for *all* post-graduate specialities due to the masters degree (MS) that is awarded upon completion of specialty training.

Of course, as Yah-E pointed out, after the battery of exams that have already been passed at that point, the GRE is ridiculous.

-G

It depends on the school whether or not the GRE is required. I'm pretty sure that the seniors going on to post-grad specialty did not take the GRE at my school. The ASDA post-doc guide is pretty good at indicating which schools want it and which schools will consider it if you took it.

Just because a specialty program results in a Master's doesn't mean the applicant needs to have the GRE. I've looked at a lot of ortho and pedo programs on the net and in the ASDA book and the only ones I saw that wanted the GRE were some of the California schools. Haven't had a chance to look at Endo, Prostho, or Perio yet(finals got in the way...)

I don't know, however, if the standards are different for international students. Some schools have spots just for internationals. The post-grads in every specialty at our school (Buffalo) seem to have a number of foreigners - I hear it is because the school knows they will get WAY more tuition money from the foreigner than the NY state resident. I think the premise is that the foreign dentist is supposed to get specialty training and return to their country, but I've talked to a number of the post-grads that say they plan on doing what they need to stay and practice in the US. The best way to find out any of this is to call/e-mail the program and ask them directly.

Hi !Thanks much for all that valuable information .I was wondering if any body has information regarding what kind of GRE is these schools asking for that is General GRE or Subject GRE !