GRE prep!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laliguras

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start preparing for my GRE test. I am in a dilemma as to which books to buy. Someone please advise me on this. I want to buy the ones which are very important and would help me in preparing for a good score. I dont want to take any classes for it.
Also how much time do you think I will need before I give the test?

Let me know what are the books that I have to get asap.....

Members don't see this ad.

I just took the GRE in November and these are the books I used -- I scored over 700 in both the verbal and math sections, so I feel that they are pretty useful:

1. Princeton Review - this offers a good general analysis of what the test is like and gives some examples to work through
2. Kaplan Math Review - I found this workbook to be really helpful - provides hundreds of problems that you can work through
3. Kaplan Vocabulary Flash Cards - I preferred to buy the flash cards ready made (I guess I am lazy), but I learn better through flashcards
4. ETS GRE 10th Edition - The book is actually not very helpful - but there are tons of practice tests - they are rather easy, but give you an idea of how ETS tests
5. www.mygretutor.com this is a great site - over 5 CAT tests and hundreds of math and verbal questions and also a vocabulary tutor -- its only $5

I heard that the Barron's book is really good as well -- you probably want to get an opinion from someone who used it

I hope this helps!

Thanx a lot. Do I need Barron's word list also or will the other books cover this too?

Members don't see this ad :)
As S1986 said refer all of the books as different books have different ideas and viewpoints of explaining the subject and as far as Barron's word list is concerned,you have to have a lot of patience to mug all those 3000 words.I personally tried doing some of them,which did not appear in other books and flash cards but sometimes i feel its hard to do so.so it really depends on your patience and ability to memorise.

Goodluck!:thumbup:

Thanx a lot. Do I need Barron's word list also or will the other books cover this too?

Hey thanx a lot...the information was helpful!! Now I have to get geared up and study...:)