GRE-Psychology Subject Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derekream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am pretty new to this forum, I am still trying to figure out what to do and not do as far as posting, so if someone has already posted a thread like this, I do apologize.

I just wanted to see if anyone here has taken the subject test for psychology, how you felt about it, any feedback or opinions on it would be great. I am studying for it now (procrastinating studying for the general GRE).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. Yeah I took the psychology subject GRE a little over a year ago and it went pretty smoothly. It's all about memorization of names and various detail oriented types of subject matter. I studied from a prep book and scored average. I think it is worth noting that the general GRE and psychology subject GRE are markedly different in that the psych GRE tests your memorization of details where the general GRE test is more about your aptitude with math, language and analytic/writing skills.

Oh yeah, I am def. aware of the general GRE, I am in the process of studying the verbal portion, will take a GRE prep class to teach my what I need to do for the math portion, that way I don't take another algebra class just to test over the first chapter of college algebra.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I am pretty new to this forum, I am still trying to figure out what to do and not do as far as posting, so if someone has already posted a thread like this, I do apologize.

I just wanted to see if anyone here has taken the subject test for psychology, how you felt about it, any feedback or opinions on it would be great. I am studying for it now (procrastinating studying for the general GRE).

Sorry to get a little off base, but what programs are you applying for? If you're interested in a PhD program in clinical or counseling, it's worth noting that many programs don't require the Psych GRE (although it does enhance your application if you have it. It's just not super important).

Anyways, it is a lot of memorization - I took it in the Fall and also scored average. Most schools are fairly happy with average. I would focus more on the General GRE - from my experience (so I may be wrong), schools tend to be more selective when it comes to those scores.

I am looking at the M.A. and Ph.D. programs in counseling psychology at TWU, Ph.D. in clinical psychology at SMU and UTSW, Ph.D. in counseling psychology at UH and the M.A. at UH-Victoria as well as the M.S. in clinical psychology at UH-Clear Lake.

I am procrastinating studying the general exam portion (as I never took college algebra, but I managed to make A's in both the general statistics and sociology statistics classes I took, and research and design).

I think you have a good point on that, maybe I am getting a little too off track and should focus on the general instead right now.

I used an app called PsyGRE Plus and made an excellent score (94th percentile).