GRE Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenslumbers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*kind of* freaking out right a bit right now.

I have been studying for the psych GRE for around 3-4 weeks now, and I studied mainly from Kaplan (though I am cramming the Gleitman textbook currently). I took 2 Kaplan tests (Monday and Tuesday) and scored relatively high --missing no more than 30 questions. I also randomly ordered a $4 GRE psych book from amazon and took a practice on Wednesday from 1988 (I was shocked to see DSM-III questions as you can imagine) and scored 97th percentile. I thought I was doing pretty well. Today, I just took the one from online and scored 70th percentile...which honestly was quite a shock since I was expecting it to be lower but not *that* much lower. Maybe I'm burned out from the every-day testing... I have been pretty tired. As I mentioned, however, I was not expecting that drop.

To make matters worse, my test is on Saturday...

Any suggestions on how to prepare for the next one/two days? Did anyone take both Kaplan tests and the online one and have any feedback? Everything is very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been studying for the psych GRE for around 3-4 weeks now, and I studied mainly from Kaplan (though I am cramming the Gleitman textbook currently). I took 2 Kaplan tests (Monday and Tuesday) and scored relatively high --missing no more than 30 questions. I also randomly ordered a $4 GRE psych book from amazon and took a practice on Wednesday from 1988 (I was shocked to see DSM-III questions as you can imagine) and scored 97th percentile. I thought I was doing pretty well. Today, I just took the one from online and scored 70th percentile...which honestly was quite a shock since I was expecting it to be lower but not *that* much lower. Maybe I'm burned out from the every-day testing... I have been pretty tired. As I mentioned, however, I was not expecting that drop.

Any suggestions on how to prepare for the next one/two days? Did anyone take both Kaplan tests and the online one and have any feedback? Everything is very much appreciated!

Calm down and don't take so many practice tests. You will plateau, then you will drop off if you keep taking them. You are done studying. Just take it saturday and you will be fine.:)

Reactions: 1 user

Which one from online? The ETS practice test that they also send you after you register? I wouldn't worry too much about a score form one practice test, especially if you were scoring higher on several before that. I was freaking out after I took a Barrons practice test until I started hearing from people Barrons is known to be way harder than the real thing. I then took tests from Princeton Review and ETS and scored *significantly* higher.

I'd say the best way to study in the last couple days is to go through an entire practice test (one you already did) and make sure you know why you got each question wrong. That's what I've been doing with practice tests I've taken (I'm also taking the real test this Saturday!). Or if you've made flash cards or study guides, go through all of those one more time before Saturday.

I actually have a question as well (not to hijack your thread, but I felt silly starting a new one)... does anyone know if they give a formal break sometime during the Psych GRE? Or can you just get up to use the restroom as needed during the test? I'm not concerned about time (I've been finishing practice tests with plenty time to spare) but actually whether or not they'll LET ME leave the test area to pee if I have to... and I will. Damn small bladder problems. :rolleyes:

I'm taking my test at a high school... I'm assuming we're all just proctored in a big open space? Or split up in separate classrooms?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have a question as well (not to hijack your thread, but I felt silly starting a new one)... does anyone know if they give a formal break sometime during the Psych GRE? Or can you just get up to use the restroom as needed during the test? I'm not concerned about time (I've been finishing practice tests with plenty time to spare) but actually whether or not they'll LET ME leave the test area to pee if I have to... and I will. Damn small bladder problems. :rolleyes:

I'm taking my test at a high school... I'm assuming we're all just proctored in a big open space? Or split up in separate classrooms?

The way it worked when I took the GRE Psychology test this past April was that there is no formal break, but you can go to the bathroom whenever you want during the test. I took it in a big lecture-type room with all of the other people taking any GRE subject test on that date.

Thank you for the support :)

Haha StatsNerd - I actually was wondering that, too, so thanks for asking! Good luck to both of us :thumbup:

When I took it (circa 2009?) there was no formal break but we were allowed to use the bathroom at any point.

I never took a practice test or bought a GRE book - I just read an intro text book cover to cover, and I did well.

Remember that 70th percentile is still above how most people taking the test are doing... and there is error variance... so you'll be fine!

So... how was it for the people who took it today?

I thought it was slightly more difficult than the practice test ETS sent out but not too bad (and while we're at it... slightly harder than Princeton Review practice tests but much easier than Barron's practice tests, not sure about Kaplan as I didn't use those study materials).

I actually thought the first 10 or so questions were among some of the hardest which freaked me out a bit from the start. I was relieved to see they got easier from there (for me at least).

Oh and, I was able to take a bathroom break so all was good. :)

Wasn't bad! I liked that they had more neuro and experimental questions. I didn't think it was as terrible as the ETS test (probably because I actually got sleep before this one), but I guess we'll find out soon enough. I initially signed up for both this one and the October one just in case I got sick or something, so I'm still debating on whether or not to take that just to see if I do better. I wish they gave us the scores before the October one since they only offer this test 3 times a year...

Last edited:
I just took the real thing. In my practices, I got 94% on Kaplan and 84% on real ETS practice test. I am guessing I probably got between 84% and 88% on the real thing. My reco for people taking this in the future: Memorize the Kaplan book, and use the brainscape app below to reinforce your knowledge, and you should do OK. Don't worry too much about it as the psych GRE doesn't count that much for grad schools (it's the general GRE that really counts) -- as long as you get 75% and above, you're going to be just fine.

Brainscape app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gre-psychology-psych-subject/id563542965?mt=8

When I took it (circa 2009?) there was no formal break but we were allowed to use the bathroom at any point.

I never took a practice test or bought a GRE book - I just read an intro text book cover to cover, and I did well.

Remember that 70th percentile is still above how most people taking the test are doing... and there is error variance... so you'll be fine!
Can you share which textbook was it? Are all intro books more or less of similar quality?