GRE question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericado

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am aiming for ~600 in each section, approx how many can you miss in each section to get this score? I haven't been able to gather this info in the review books.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ericado said:
I am aiming for ~600 in each section, approx how many can you miss in each section to get this score? I haven't been able to gather this info in the review books.
hey ericado!

the info was not in the review books because there is no such number of questions. the GRE is structured to be an adaptive test. the level of difficulty(and hence the points) per question is determined by how you answered the previous question(s). if you get the answer correct, the test gives you a question with a higher level of difficulty, and which has more points riding on it should you get it correct. then this levels off once you get to the section with the highest level of difficulty as determined by the test designers.

a word of advice..do not prep for the GRE with a points target in mind. the reason is that the exam structure is very individualized. in the beginning, the software will give you random Qs of above-average difficulty to determine your "level". if you get most of the initial Qs correct, you move up faster to the level where each correct answer gets you more points. then, if you subsequently get some wrong, it drops its level down, but not by a whole lot. so your score suffers less. however, if you get the beginning few Qs wrong, it drops you down towards the super easy, but low points questions. subsequently, you would need to get more Qs correct in order to get to the high points Qs. this would lead to a much lower score, heartache and misery for some. This is also the reason why you cannot prep to get X number of Qs wrong because how badly you score also depends on when you get the Qs wrong. hence, it is more advisable to take your time over the initial few Qs and make sure you get them correct.

the "number of Qs" is what you will (unfortunately) face on some practice software, because they are not adaptive like the actual GRE. if i were you, i would look to get adaptive practice software to prep on for the test.
hope this helps.
Good Luck! :luck:

Well that certainly helped me a lot. Thanks!