GRE reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone done any sections from the GRE reading comprehension study books? I know most of the questions are fairly similar, however, they're a lot more harder i think than the PCAT or am I the only one?

Members don't see this ad.

I got 670/800 on GRE verbal, and that was 94th percentile. But 750/800 on quantitative was only the 81st percentile on GRE. In fact a perfect 800 was only the 92nd percentile. So 92 is the best you can do on GRE quantitative. There is no precalc or calculus on GRE quantitative but just arithmetic, algebra, and geometry like the SAT. However, the verbal GRE is harder than verbal SAT for sure.

So that goes to show you that GRE verbal is hard, but probably not as hard as MCAT reading ability.

PCAT, I have no idea.

To study for the GRE verbal, I had an old GRE Big Book of 27 practice tests. I worked the first 5 tests slowly, and tried to understand the logic of the answers. Why certain answers were right and why were wrong. That is especially important as you try to figure out the "close" answers and choices on the reading section that seem true but are the wrong answers. Get as many PCAT books as you can and TRY TO UNDERSTAND why the right answers are right and why the wrong answers are wrong. I eventually did practice with all 27 tests and tried to understand the test as well.

It is helpful to get used to the traps in the questions and that is what you can do to raise especially your reading score, and even your verbal as well.

Last edited:
I figured because man some of these reading passages are =O

I'm just trying to do as much practice problems on Verbal + Reading Comprehension for PCAT right now using GRE stuff, the verbal are some what similar analogies+fill in blank for sentence, the same goes for reading but some of the pages are seriously convoluted.

While I'm at it do you guys think doing getting a lot of AP Biology prep books, and SAT II Biology Review books such as from princeton review, Kaplan, barron would help with biology? I been doing a lot of the problems from these that I got from the local library.