GRE required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etiush

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all the VMCAS schools require GRE?
Are there any recommended schools that don't require it?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do all the VMCAS schools require GRE?
Are there any recommended schools that don't require it?
Thank you

According to this all US schools require it. Saskatchewan, Edinburgh, RVC, and Glasgow does not.

Edinburgh does require it as far as I know, I had to send my scores to them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Murdoch is an AVMA accredited school and does not require are GRE, however Murdoch does not use VMCAS.

between the 2 associations?
Thanks

between the 2 associations?
Thanks

There are not two associations. One is an assoication, one is an application service.

The AVMA accredits schools of veterinary medicine for the US. It stands for American Veterinary Medical Association. Think of it in the same way you would think of the AMA the American Medical Association. The AVMA has accredited all of the US schools, all Canadian schools (I think all of the Canadian schools, anyone care to comment?), and some foreign schools. You can find the whole list and search by state and learn about the AVMA and accreditation etc here: http://www.avma.org/education/cvea/colleges_accredited/allcolleges.asp

VMCAS is like the common application for college, only online. You take all of your info type it into one application online and submit it. Your recommenders fill everything out and send it to VMCAS too. Then VMCAS prints everything out and send your stuff to each school you selected. If your school requires a supplemental application because they want more info than the VMCAS you fill that out and send it directly to the school.

Most US schools and some foreign schools use the VMCAS. Tufts does not use the VMCAS and you can opt to not use the VMCAS for Western. Many of the foreign school do not use the VMCAS. I believe ALL of the US and Canadian schools require a GRE, and SOME of the foreign accredited schools do and SOME do not.

I know Murdoch does not only because I'm going there and I don't recall them needing it for my application last summer.

hope that clarifies your question

Thanks for the detailed answer, it's so much clearer now!
I'm sorry, it's just that i'm from Israel (with a US citizenship) and want to study veterinary medicine, and may not get into school here. So I'm looking for other options (that don't require GRE coz I would like to start school right away Sept-Oct 2007 if possible)...

(that don't require GRE coz I would like to start school right away Sept-Oct 2007 if possible)...
Regardless of the GRE that's not possible. :( In the US you pretty much have to apply a year in advance. The way the current application cycle will go:

- VMCAS application for the 2008-2009 school year opens some time this month or next
- Deadline to submit that application is October 1, 2007
- You start hearing about interview invitations around December 2007, interviews continue for some schools all the way through April 2008
- You must decide to accept any offers of admission you receive by April 15, 2008
- You wait around a whole lot, make plans for moving, and generally get impatient for several months
- You start school in late August/early September 2008

There are some US schools that don't use the standard VMCAS application (they have their own), but they follow roughly the same schedule (submit application fall 2007, interview winter 2008, accept April 2008). I think the Canadian schools (especially the ones that use the VMCAS application) follow the same schedule too.

The good news here is that you have until July at least to take the GRE for this application cycle. (Maybe until October - there was weirdness with a revised GRE that was planned to be released in July, so most schools were requiring you take the "old" GRE by July and not accepting the new one, but now they're *not* actually going to release the new GRE, so maybe schools will move their deadlines back... best to e-mail individual schools you're interested in and make sure.)

NB: Some of the AVMA-accredited foreign schools (in Australia, New Zealand, and the UK) have very different timelines (semesters start in July or January rather than September, you can start in either July or January) and I think in general have application deadlines that are much closer to your actual start date.