GRE scores needed for ortho acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScitnodOhtro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, is there a general cutoff for what is an acceptable GRE score for ortho residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, is there a general cutoff for what is an acceptable GRE score for ortho residency? I took the exam awhile ago but since I'll be applying in a few months I wanted to know if it's worth retaking before it is too late. Thanks for the advice!

It really depends on the program. Some require top 35 percentile (UCSF) but in general they would want to see top 50 percentile minimum. My GRE score wasn't the greatest but never been brought up during the interview. They just want to make sure that you know how to write a paper without a problem. GRE wasn't a game changer in my opinion.

I think with the option now of selecting which scores you want to submit, there is no harm in trying one more time. If you do worst the second time, then just submit your first scores. It only makes you that much better of an applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
you do worst the second time, then just submit your first scores. It only makes you that much better of an applicant.
6ik4Ah

I think UOP favors verbal over math more, but they also care about your writing score. Dr. Boyd loves high verbal scores.