GRE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twiggers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious........

Those of you who got into a program what was your score range? Not exact score because thats private, but just a range.

Those of you studying for it....are you finding the Princeton/Kaplan books are improving your score?

I just took my first full practice test as a baseline, and I want the numbers to be higher....they're acceptable for some schools but not the higher end ones. Granted they should go up as I study more....but nonetheless life isn't fun if I'm not worrying about some horrid aspect of this process.

Members don't see this ad.

I could post till dooms day that these study books are a waste of time.

But it will have no effect because studying per se reduces anxiety.

Spent time on math. Forget verbal.

It is sold as an achievement test, but it is loaded as an intelligence test.

Private schools require you take the test but if they want you, you are in. One such school will take the high verbal and high math when you have taken it twice.

I think the test proves nothing. Worse than nothing. At first the test was used when school grades were in question due to an unknown school. American schools are honest. Now tell me why it is given at all.

The only real test in the Ph.D program is your paper. We have many ABD, all but disserations. They had good GRE's. ABDs most often reason as stated to me ws I am old, tired and want to be with my children. Good reason.

Read what the authors of the test say regarding studying> Almost no one reads it.

GL.

"Private schools require you take the test but if they want you, you are in."

Hammer: Does this mean private schools are more flexible about admissions criteria than public ones? I assumed that if any school really wanted you, you'd be in.

Twiggers: I took the test a while ago and didn't find the books you mentioned all that helpful. I would stick to the ETS CD-ROM. Anyway, I think most schools either put more emphasis on other things, or look at the overall picture. (Don't know if you're considering the U. of Iowa, though -- I've heard they give more weight to the GRE than anything else.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Winnie

You said it. Private schools have greater flexibility. To use a nice word.

Well I've been studying them.....and the math review has been nice, and the approaches that the study guides teach to tackling the verbal have been nice. I guess overall its just the darn vocab that ya need the most.

U of Iowa is on my list..............but there are many many schools that place a high emphasis on the GREs, followed closely by letters of rec.

Hammer said:

I don't understand how you can claim the practice books do nothing to help your score. I purchased my practice books a few months ago and when I first started studying I didn't have a clue about anything (especially the math). It had been such a long time since I had used certain skills that I needed a refresher. I'm still struggling with the math a little bit, but it's a heck of a lot better than when I first started. I just don't understand how practicing vocab and math skills won't be of some aid for the exam.

Kushkeeee said:
Hammer said:

I don't understand how you can claim the practice books do nothing to help your score. I purchased my practice books a few months ago and when I first started studying I didn't have a clue about anything (especially the math). It had been such a long time since I had used certain skills that I needed a refresher. I'm still struggling with the math a little bit, but it's a heck of a lot better than when I first started. I just don't understand how practicing vocab and math skills won't be of some aid for the exam.

If it were that easy, study and study and raise your score--everyone would do it.

ETS has 50 years of data on this. Read their comments.

Next thing we will get into is retaking the test. Another waste. Many have tried and many scores go down.

Have confidence in yourself, not Kaplan,

If you did well on the SAT you will do well here. Those who do very well on the GRE do very well on the LSAT, etc. indicating it is not Kaplan which is getting the high scores.

All tests are IQ laden even the state drivers exam.

Study math if you want. You will not see a study question on your GRE. But some of the math is similiar.

When you do well on the GRE, give yourself the credit.

I agree to a certain extent......you can only expand your vocab so far, and your math so far in the limited studying time that most students do. You either know it or you don't.
What I feel that Princeton books do is teach you better ways to study and manage time, and give you better approaches to answering questions. When it came to those darn analogies I was lost before reading the test prep book.
It's taught me to slow down and approach the dfifferent areas in different ways.
I've learned a few new words, but that's about it.

My study skills just suck...writing psych tests just comes naturally to me in school and I spend little time studying ...so I really needed that Princeton book.

twiggers said:
Just curious........

Those of you who got into a program what was your score range? Not exact score because thats private, but just a range.

I scored in the low 1200s. I am currently attending a top 20 school (according to US News rankings for clinical psychology).

Congrats Kaylie! I'm freaking out trying to make sure mine are in mid - 1300s cuz these top schools show such average high GRE scores....I guess they're not the most important thing !

Did you have alot of research experience, or were published?

twiggers said:
Congrats Kaylie! I'm freaking out trying to make sure mine are in mid - 1300s cuz these top schools show such average high GRE scores....I guess they're not the most important thing !

Did you have alot of research experience, or were published?

Hey twiggers,

Definitely do not freak out about GRE scores too much. Most schools likely use the GREs to define cut-off points for applicants, but I doubt they would be higher than 1200-1250 (but that's just a guess). Remember too that the averages schools show on their websites are just that: averages. There will be people at the lower ends (like me) and those who are at the higher ends. I kept that in mind when i applied, so I wasn't deterred from applying to schools based on the averages they posted... and it paid off!

I had 4 years of research experience and I also did an undergraduate honors thesis that I was working on submitting for publication at the time I applied for clinical programs. My paper got accepted into a journal this past summer, so I wasn't published when I got accepted into the program.

So definitely do not focus on only one aspect of your application and freak out because it really is the overall package that matters.

Thanks Kaylie! I too am starting an honors thesis this month...no idea what stage it will be in by app time.
I appreciate the encouragement! Such a daunting process...I can't wait until April when it's all over!