GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oops.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
could anyone give me an idea what GRE scores mean for residency applications? what's the range for acceptable scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
could anyone give me an idea what GRE scores mean for residency applications? what's the range for acceptable scores? is there such a thing as a "good score" that could actually improve one's chances for acceptance given a lower than average GPA or whatever (or is this just wishful thinking on my part)? what would be a "good score" in that case?

Just for your own personal satisfaction make sure your combined verbal and quantatative scores are higher than your SAT scores....there's no worse feeling than knowing you've gotten dumber over the years ;)

In reality, a "good" score is subjective to whom you are comparing your scores and the reasoning for your evaluators to utilize the scores.......some schools don't even find a need for the GRE so that might tell you a little something about the necessity of the exam. In general it's one small aspect of the big picture about the person being evaluated.

UCSF asks for 600 in both verbal and quantitative.
That's unusually high though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really need to take the GRE prior to applications or is it the kind of thing that before you start, you have to take it for final acceptance to the graduate school? I don't want to study for another standardized exam if I don't have to...

check on the programs you want to apply to - about 1/2 of ortho programs required the GRE when i applied. the # that gets thrown around is 1200, try not to go under that. Im not sure how big of a deal it is however.

UCSF asks for 600 in both verbal and quantitative.
That's unusually high though.

I think this is why the number 1200 is thrown out so frequently. However, the 600/600 idea is pretty ridiculous since I know a lot of middle schoolers who could score a 600 on the mathematics section, yet most of my dental school classmates would probably score below 600 on the verbal.

Just shoot for a quantitative above 700 and a verbal above 500 and you should have no worries in regards to the GRE. This probably won't require much studying either.