GRE writing score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heygirlhey211

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone had some insight into the weight placed on GRE writing scores. Most of the schools I applied to don't have the average score for writing posted in their full disclosure data. Is the writing score less important than verbal and quantitative?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since your verbal is ok and your quant is decent, your AWA probably isn't that big of a deal. The AWA is so new that, as I understand at least, most programs tend to view it as minimally important. As long as your personal statement and any sample writing you've done is of a better than "4.0" quality, I think you should be ok for the first round at least (at least as long as your GPA looks promising as well). After that, it'll be your research, personal statement, potential for a match, etc. that will matter.

Since your verbal is ok and your quant is decent, your AWA probably isn't that big of a deal. The AWA is so new that, as I understand at least, most programs tend to view it as minimally important. As long as your personal statement and any sample writing you've done is of a better than "4.0" quality, I think you should be ok for the first round at least (at least as long as your GPA looks promising as well). After that, it'll be your research, personal statement, potential for a match, etc. that will matter.

I agree. I have a few friends who have relatively low AW scores, and they've all been told by professors that their SOP and writing samples will be used to determine whether you can write or not. But I WOULD say that the AW score is important, most of my programs are at 5.5 or 6, but if your SOP is killer it shouldn't matter! :)

btw, I would definitely encourage you to be sure to include a writing sample in addition to your SOP if it is at all suggested (many programs accept it as an "optional" part of your application). One thing you could do is take an excellent research paper you've written and send it to a few profs you trust for a few extra rounds of critiquing before sending it in as a writing sample.