GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priya26

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Has anyone taken GRE for applying to specialities...... Which GRE are we supposed to take: General??? How much time one requires to prepare it and what study materials are recomended. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi priya26, I have briefly looked into taking the GREs for specialties. I think specialties usually want the General GRE exam. I talked to a senior who is applying to ortho who just took the general GRE. She said that some schools just want to see a score as a formality and some programs had a specific number requirement but it was somewhat low. For example, the highest you could get on the general GRE is a 2400 (800 * 3 = 2400) and some schools have a 1600 minimal score requirement. She just prepared for a month using a Kaplan book from Barnes and Noble.

However, the GRE is changing its format in October. The analytical section will be replaced with a writing section and I don't believe the writing will be scored out of 800. So the specialty programs that require the GREs will have to adjust their criteria accordingly. Not all specialty programs require the GRE. From the minimal research I have done on this, I noticed a number of ortho programs on the west coast want it and a number of endo programs want it, but I didn't see any pedo wanting the GREs.

I am waiting for my Part I board scores first before I seriously consider taking the GRE, but this is the preliminary info that I have.

Thanks Griffin.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi priya ,
if u r really planning to take GRE , then i would suggest u to go thro barron`s word list for vocabulary , i feel its the best and if u can master this , then u can tackle the verbal section well.
there r many books like princeton, arco , kaplan.
u can also practice with CDs , which will give an actual idea of the exams .
u might need 3 - 4 months for preparing.
but as griffin told, all the MS progmm dont ask for GRE .

Thank you Compudentist

Hi priya,
Looks like you are all set to take GRE. I took up GRE and I think its no great thing to score 1900. You should be able to take, also, take it sooner rather than later as they are going to change the format for the analytical section. They are planning to make it a essay type thing which I feel would be harder to score in.
Other than that, did you make it into BU?
Regards
saravs