Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Akron, OH
Status
Dentist
I'm sure some of you have found this before but for those who haven't, despite being a couple of years old... I think this is a GREAT resource!

It is comp info (everything you would want to know) about every residency program across the nation from demographics to stipend to applicants and residency positions... accred. info etc.

Good luck.

https://www.ada.org/sections/professionalResources/pdfs/survey_advanced_ed.pdf

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Jul 6, 2010
Status
Non-Student
thanks a lot ..
it is a great source, i did not know how i missed it, Ortho has the highest number of applications in 2009, about 10,000 for around 300 spots

and surprisingly, perio has 180 positions, 172 occupied by internationals!
That applications number is dumb by the way. It's applicants that matter. The culture of ortho is apply far and wide (at least that's the hearsay). Ortho has a whole slew of applicants that are truly talented and have great CVs. But you also have buckets of applicants tossing their hat in the circle to see what happens.

And only 8 perio residents in the country are US trained?? REALLY?!?! That seems unbelievably low. I believe if that is true and not an error, that the perio profession should take this as a warning sign. US grads are not interested and training/scope needs to be adjusted.

Otherwise, it's an interesting document but doesn't really change much of anything when applying I'd say. Maybe stipends and tuition is nice to have in one place.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I'm sure some of you have found this before but for those who haven't, despite being a couple of years old... I think this is a GREAT resource!

It is comp info (everything you would want to know) about every residency program across the nation from demographics to stipend to applicants and residency positions... accred. info etc.

Good luck.

https://www.ada.org/sections/professionalResources/pdfs/survey_advanced_ed.pdf
look at you suga being all helpful :p it's hard to believe we were blowing up the pre-dent vcu forums exactly 4 years ago! and i am so honored to still be in your signature...hahaha updating mine now...

fmx89591277

5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2010
Status
Dentist
I donot know the data is right or not. as i know, in many perio programs, more than half students are american DDS students now because more and more dds want to learn dental implant and bad economic market for dentists.

thanks a lot ..
it is a great source, i did not know how i missed it, Ortho has the highest number of applications in 2009, about 10,000 for around 300 spots

and surprisingly, perio has 180 positions, 172 occupied by internationals!

HupHolland

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
MA / RI
Status
Dentist
I donot know the data is right or not. as i know, in many perio programs, more than half students are american DDS students now because more and more dds want to learn dental implant and bad economic market for dentists.
A recent perio grad from my school had a hard time making it in the "real world." So hard, he is doing a perio/prosth fellowship part-time and is even contemplating work as a general dentist.

If it is economically a bad market for general dentists, what makes you think periodontists are doing any better considering perio gets referrals from GP's? I'm not knocking perio whatsoever. Just curious...

Hup