Great Moonlighting Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Browser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What programs have the best moonlighting in terms of amount, pay and being able to do it early. Those loans don't pay themselves off...

Members don't see this ad.

university of kentucky had these health physicals you could do and make ~50 bucks per, they said they normally schedule you like 30 or so in a day and you can start them r1.

anyone who interviewed at UMKC remember if they had any moonlighting?

What programs have the best moonlighting in terms of amount, pay and being able to do it early. Those loans don't pay themselves off...

A guy at Wake told me he did 200k+ his PGY5 yr moonlighting in ERs in surrounding areas. He said he worked a ton though. Also remember hearing Mayo had major opportunities but didn't get too many details during my interview so I could be wrong.

Most other places seemed to have some, but nothin crazy like Wake.

Members don't see this ad :)
university of kentucky had these health physicals you could do and make ~50 bucks per, they said they normally schedule you like 30 or so in a day and you can start them r1.

anyone who interviewed at UMKC remember if they had any moonlighting?

Yeah UK has great moonlighting. On the other hand, EVMS has zero.

Last edited:
This is such a strange thread to me. I cannot imagine considering programs based on their moonlighting opportunities. I mean, if I thought two programs were neck-and-neck and one had moonlighting and one didn't, then I get it. But to actively seek out programs just because of moonlighting? I don't know, that seems like backward logic to me.

This is such a strange thread to me. I cannot imagine considering programs based on their moonlighting opportunities. I mean, if I thought two programs were neck-and-neck and one had moonlighting and one didn't, then I get it. But to actively seek out programs just because of moonlighting? I don't know, that seems like backward logic to me.

Definitely not. In fact, my number 1 does not have the most moonlighting in the world. Just one of many aspects considered.

Definitely not. In fact, my number 1 does not have the most moonlighting in the world. Just one of many aspects considered.

Yeah, wasn't really referring to you. You were just responding with information requested by the OP. The OP appears to indicate that paying off loans by way of early and lucrative moonlighting is a priority, which seems like a strange approach. The way I look at it is this: if you're happy, then you're more likely to do well. And if you're more likely to do well, then you're more likely to get the job/fellowship that will better equip you to pay off your loans. Again, if moonlighting opportunities is a tiebreaker for residency choice, then so be it. But if any greater consideration is given, then I think it's short-sighted folly.

IMO moonlighting is what you make of it. If you go out, find ER's, urgent care facilities, and other places to moonlight then the sky's the limit on how much you can make.

What is mainly discussed on these forums is the radiology related moonlighting which, aside from a few gigs like contrast coverage, tends to be for upper level residents.

So you can go to a program you like that 'doesn't have a lot of moonlighting' and make a ton on your own if you are so inclined.

Mayo had the best. UPMC, UTSW, UT Houston also had very good opportunities. I also heard the Memphis program and UAB had a bunch.

Mayo had the best. UPMC, UTSW, UT Houston also had very good opportunities. I also heard the Memphis program and UAB had a bunch.

Forgot about UTSW. Seemed like they had tons of internal stuff.

my #2, #4, and #6 programs have moonlighting... definitely trying not to let it be somethign that is a tie breaker for me...

but i have heard that in the northeast, montefiore and cornell have good moonlighting.

Henry Ford, Mayo, UAB had good radiology related moonlighting I remember from last year.

Those disability clinics pretty much are back to back to back fibromyalgiaesque patients all day.

For the places I interviewed, the programs in areas that were desirable to live had little to no moonlighting. Places in not so desirable cities had the good opportunities.

I probably wouldn't do much moonlighting anyway as I enjoy my spare time. Plus, I don't have tons of debt like some students that went to private med schools (tuition $50k+/yr alone).

Prob a dumb question, but for external moonlighting (at urgent cares or whatever), when can you start doing this? If it is outside of your facility you are doing your residency how does that work with licensing?

Moonlighting is a perk like book money, conference time, vacation, etc. I think it should be more of at a second tier on one's rating scale. It probably ended up determining where I went as I wanted to stay local and a lot of programs in the state were probably equivocal to worse in terms of training but lacked moonlighting. Nearly doubling one's income for 5-6 yrs of residency is not something to scoff at when you factor in student debt and trying to raise a family. While not a lot in the long term, I think when you are only making $40-50k an extra $20-50k/year makes a big difference (especially if you don't have family money to help you out). Besides these things, I think moonlighting (especially external) is also beneficial for professional development and preparing you for private practice.

I think people tend to put too much weight on prestige and highly academic programs. While important for connections and important if you want to go into academia, I think specific things are more important like daily conferences, subspecialty trained staff, volume, diversity of pathology, and work environment (benign vs. malignant) which do not always go hand-in-hand with highly academic or prestigious programs.