Great Post-Bacc News + upcoming advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

waveringatom

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ended up getting 4 As and 1 B (in a lab)! My best ever (and busiest) semester since starting college and that too with 13 credits and hospice volunteering.

So now I turn to you guys for advice.
Post bacc cGPA: 3.923
Post bacc sGPA: 3.923
uGPA to date: 3.20
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.04
AMCAS sGPA: 2.96

Planning on taking MCAT in March/April with two classes in Spring (physio + biotechnology).


My question is what should my game plan look like? I was planning to apply this upcoming cycle. Is that a reach for me?


EDIT:

Should I stay on track and apply for a SMP in April after receiving an MCAT score? Or just keep on trekking with the Post-bacc?

If I do the latter, I will be taking 4 classes in summer and 1 in fall so I will have a total of 34 credits.
 
Last edited:
I think 13 credits will simply not be enough, if i were you I would wait another cycle and make sure you kill the MCAT when you feel fully prepared.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think two classes is going to budge your GPA significantly further. Personally, I would not apply MD with those numbers. I had a very high grade post bacc (solid 4.0 the whole time until my last class, which was *after* my AMCAS primary was verified so all MD schools see is the 4.0) and a 3.55 cumulative sGPA, and I've still only gotten 3 MD II. If your AMCAS sGPA is under/barely cracking a 3.0, it's a really, really long shot.

If you do very well on the MCAT, you may be competitive for DO schools next cycle so you could always apply DO only - but be aware your GPA will still be a little low for them, too.
 
Ended up getting 4 As and 1 B (in a lab)! My best ever (and busiest) semester since starting college and that too with 13 credits and hospice volunteering.

So now I turn to you guys for advice.
Post bacc cGPA: 3.923
Post bacc sGPA: 3.923
uGPA to date: 3.20
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.04
AMCAS sGPA: 2.96

Planning on taking MCAT in March/April with two classes in Spring (physio + biotechnology).


My question is what should my game plan look like? I was planning to apply this upcoming cycle. Is that a reach for me?


EDIT:

Should I stay on track and apply for a SMP in April after receiving an MCAT score? Or just keep on trekking with the Post-bacc?

If I do the latter, I will be taking 4 classes in summer and 1 in fall so I will have a total of 34 credits.
Come back when you have an MCAT score, and then we can advise. Aim for 513+.