Great Post-Bacc News + upcoming advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waveringatom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting 4 As and 1 B (in a lab)! My best ever (and busiest) semester since starting college and that too with 13 credits and hospice volunteering.

So now I turn to you guys for advice.
Post bacc cGPA: 3.923
Post bacc sGPA: 3.923
uGPA to date: 3.20
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.04
AMCAS sGPA: 2.96

Planning on taking MCAT in March/April with two classes in Spring (physio + biotechnology).

My question is what should my game plan look like? I was planning to apply this upcoming cycle. Is that a reach for me?

EDIT:

Should I stay on track and apply for a SMP in April after receiving an MCAT score? Or just keep on trekking with the Post-bacc?

If I do the latter, I will be taking 4 classes in summer and 1 in fall so I will have a total of 34 credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think 13 credits will simply not be enough, if i were you I would wait another cycle and make sure you kill the MCAT when you feel fully prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think two classes is going to budge your GPA significantly further. Personally, I would not apply MD with those numbers. I had a very high grade post bacc (solid 4.0 the whole time until my last class, which was *after* my AMCAS primary was verified so all MD schools see is the 4.0) and a 3.55 cumulative sGPA, and I've still only gotten 3 MD II. If your AMCAS sGPA is under/barely cracking a 3.0, it's a really, really long shot.

If you do very well on the MCAT, you may be competitive for DO schools next cycle so you could always apply DO only - but be aware your GPA will still be a little low for them, too.

I never see anyone with your numbers so I really have no advice on how to garner admission in your circumstances. Not saying you wont' get in -- but you won't get into Princeton, if you know what I mean.

Ended up getting 4 As and 1 B (in a lab)! My best ever (and busiest) semester since starting college and that too with 13 credits and hospice volunteering.

So now I turn to you guys for advice.
Post bacc cGPA: 3.923
Post bacc sGPA: 3.923
uGPA to date: 3.20
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.04
AMCAS sGPA: 2.96

Planning on taking MCAT in March/April with two classes in Spring (physio + biotechnology).

My question is what should my game plan look like? I was planning to apply this upcoming cycle. Is that a reach for me?

EDIT:

Should I stay on track and apply for a SMP in April after receiving an MCAT score? Or just keep on trekking with the Post-bacc?

If I do the latter, I will be taking 4 classes in summer and 1 in fall so I will have a total of 34 credits.
Come back when you have an MCAT score, and then we can advise. Aim for 513+.