Great Specialty Compatibility Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bluemirage

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone,

I have found this excellent specialty compatibility survey that will give you a good idea of which specialties is most suitable, based on your particular personality and needs. I have done a few of these types of surveys and have found this to be the quickest, least cumbersome to fill out and most informative. Perhaps the moderator might consider posting this in the FAQ section. Enjoy and good luck to all applicants!

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/main_menu.htm

Bluemirage

Members don't see this ad.

Bluemirage said:
HI everyone,

I have found this excellent specialty compatibility survey that will give you a good idea of which specialties is most suitable, based on your particular personality and needs. I have done a few of these types of surveys and have found this to be the quickest, least cumbersome to fill out and most informative. Perhaps the moderator might consider posting this in the FAQ section. Enjoy and good luck to all applicants!

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/main_menu.htm

Bluemirage

I like this website! Offers good descriptions of different specialties. Apparently I'm supposed to be a Dermatologist. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Okay, so I am interested in Dermatology, but KU has a record of only matching 2 each year. So chances are low.

My results are exactly what my goal is: Emergency Medicine.
But I'm suprised that a close second is Plastic Surgery???

Members don't see this ad :)
radiation oncology, dermatology, ophthalmology, ortho and plastics are up there for me.

i valued a good lifestyle pretty heavily, so i'm sort of surprised about ortho and radiation oncology. i really don't know anything about rad-onc though, what's it supposed to be like? how much money do you make?

Rads, derm, path.

At least rads and path are somewhere on my dartboard.

Questions are a little broad methinks.

Ock

goddamn it, my top 8 are all surgery specialties. looks like next decade of my life is going to be really low stress....

Already knew it but... infectious diseases or Endocrinology :D

Very interesting site. Medical genetics or neurology are in my future. At least I still get to start out with internal medicine.

looks like it's infectious disease for me!

Fabulous site! My top two were medical genetics and infectious diseases, which are two things I've actually been thinking about. Also high: onc and neuro. Thank heavens colon and rectal surgery was third to last.

Neurosurgery, hell yea !

How weird: colon and rectal surgery (I can hardly contain my joy), vascular surgery, neonatal-perinatal medicine, and gastroenterology... all things that I have never considered.

I'm gonna be a colon and rectal surgeon! ;)

My true top choices, pediatrics and Ob/Gyn, are more toward the middle.

Wiggy73 said:
Fabulous site! My top two were medical genetics and infectious diseases, which are two things I've actually been thinking about. Also high: onc and neuro. Thank heavens colon and rectal surgery was third to last.

I got medical genetics as my top one too!
weird. i didnt even know that was a field. but it sounds interesting :)

Radiation Oncology was my top match. I never have even thought about this field?!

titoincali said:
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

Another compatibility quiz. I thought this one gave me results that were more in line with fields I was already thinking about.

I would have to agree. I did both of them, and that one seemed much closer to what I would be interested in. In fact, the two tests agreed on only one specialty in the top ten, and it happens to be the one I am most interested in at this point (cardiology). The test that is the subject of this thread gave me colon and rectal surgery and urology as the top two--how much further off can you get?? :p

I guess I can be fairly certain that I wont be a child and adolscent psychiatrist (score of 94.2) :laugh:

1. Geriatric medicine (6.86)
2. Psychiatry (7.53)
3. Endocrinology (7.58)
4. Child Neurology (7.72)
5. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (7.86)
6. Neurology (8.97)

I couldn't have predicted my results any better than they turned out; I'm really thinking about going into neuro and/or psych right now :laugh:.

Kazema said:
1. Geriatric medicine (6.86)
2. Psychiatry (7.53)
3. Endocrinology (7.58)
4. Child Neurology (7.72)
5. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (7.86)
6. Neurology (8.97)

I couldn't have predicted my results any better than they turned out; I'm really thinking about going into neuro and/or psych right now :laugh:.

wow, your top match have less than 10 values. what does it mean if my top matches are all 20+? maybe i'm not suited too closely to any medical field.

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Neurology
Neonatal - Perinatal Medicine
Hematology
Gastroenterology