Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

Started by SailCrazy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whats wrong with having more than 13 activities? Even if one of them is scholarships and honor societies?

I'm sure all the pre-meds out there who don't know about sdn don't worry about these kinds of things, are they put at a disadvantage if they put 15 things, with 5 of them each as a separate scholarship for example?

You can't have more than 15 items. If you have 13 plus 3 more you are going to have to consolodate or drop some thing to fit the addtional 3.

Do you really have 5 scholarships that are significant enough to impress the adcom and if so, do they need separate slots rather than lumped under the heading "Scholarships"? I suppose if you had five scholarships from 5 different organizations and each was >$10,000 then you might have something worth crowing about but even that might be lumped and described under the description. If this is $500 from the Rotary and $500 from the VFW and so forth then it is less worthy of separate slots.

What is someone who doesnt' know any better uses 5 slots for scholarships. Well, then they have only 10 slots for other stuff and maybe that isn't quite enough to give the adcom a good picture. Maybe they cut out their summer job as a busboy and the school year job of being a reader for a blind student. That could be detrimental to an applicant in failing to set them apart significantly from other applicants.
 
my parents own a restaurant...would it be bad to list that I worked there every now and then to help out my parents? On one hand, it is work, but on the other hand, it's almost something that one is obligated to do (help out their family)...
 
my parents own a restaurant...would it be bad to list that I worked there every now and then to help out my parents? On one hand, it is work, but on the other hand, it's almost something that one is obligated to do (help out their family)...

Of course you should list it. After one adcom meeting we started comparing our own up bringing and discovered that our committee included 3 faculty who had experience in parent-owned stores (food and clothing stores). There are a lot of lessons learned there and it does build character.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Right, I see what you mean. I did lump all my things, I've just been advised from a lot of people that 6-7 is good, but if I have 13 good things, then I should keep them too, right?

You can't have more than 15 items. If you have 13 plus 3 more you are going to have to consolodate or drop some thing to fit the addtional 3.

Do you really have 5 scholarships that are significant enough to impress the adcom and if so, do they need separate slots rather than lumped under the heading "Scholarships"? I suppose if you had five scholarships from 5 different organizations and each was >$10,000 then you might have something worth crowing about but even that might be lumped and described under the description. If this is $500 from the Rotary and $500 from the VFW and so forth then it is less worthy of separate slots.

What is someone who doesnt' know any better uses 5 slots for scholarships. Well, then they have only 10 slots for other stuff and maybe that isn't quite enough to give the adcom a good picture. Maybe they cut out their summer job as a busboy and the school year job of being a reader for a blind student. That could be detrimental to an applicant in failing to set them apart significantly from other applicants.
 
If you look at it within the application system itself, they appear in forward chronological order. Looking at it on the printout (which is how the schools will receive it), they're in reverse chronological order.

Within the application itself, and the printout look the same, forward chronological order.

When I click the tab "work/activities", it shows them in forward chronological order. But when I click print at the bottom, it only shows the list, but not the paragraphs. Does it look different if I print the whole application?

Please help! thanks.
 
BDNF--Yeah you need to print the entire application to see them in the other order.
 
never mind! I figured you meant the final print out. I see that it is in reverse chronological order now, thanks again.
 
If you are mentioning in the PS that you worked 30 hrs/wk, I'd list everything as paid employment and then describe the work. If you say you had paid employment and the job title was "tutor" the adcom will figure it out. I would call the Ambassador gig "leadership". The horse thing... figure out how many months and how many hours from week to week. If you have your old tax returns you might be able to figure it out by dividing your annual wages by your hourly wage and then dividing by the number of weeks you worked.

Thanks LizzyM, for taking the time to answer with such helpful advice!!!

I have two additional questions. First, if I don't mention working in my PS, should I still list everything under paid employment instead of the other categories? I only ask because currently I have three versions of my PS, all with different themes (one which had quite a bit centered around work history, one that doesn't mention it at all, and one that just touches on it), and I haven't decided which to use yet. Although I know an Adcom member can figure out the job titles, I guess what I'm afraid of is that my application won't look well rounded with everything under paid employment and nothing under research, etc. Or am I just being silly?

Secondly, in one of my current jobs I work in the ED as a RA. Although it isn't part of my job description, when traumas come in (and it's at a level 1 trauma center, so quite a few do) I tend to observe what goes on in the trauma room. It's much more interesting that standing around twiddling my thumbs while I wait for things to calm down so I can collect patient data. Should I include this in the description, even though it's not part of the job? I haven't had any formal shadowing experience, but thought maybe this could help offset that...

Thanks again!
 
Of course you should list it. After one adcom meeting we started comparing our own up bringing and discovered that our committee included 3 faculty who had experience in parent-owned stores (food and clothing stores). There are a lot of lessons learned there and it does build character.

Thanks for the response...now...should I list it as Work (even though I wasn't actually paid, per se), volunteer, or other?
 
Thanks LizzyM, for taking the time to answer with such helpful advice!!!

I have two additional questions. First, if I don't mention working in my PS, should I still list everything under paid employment instead of the other categories? I only ask because currently I have three versions of my PS, all with different themes (one which had quite a bit centered around work history, one that doesn't mention it at all, and one that just touches on it), and I haven't decided which to use yet. Although I know an Adcom member can figure out the job titles, I guess what I'm afraid of is that my application won't look well rounded with everything under paid employment and nothing under research, etc. Or am I just being silly?

It will still look well rounded because you had a variety of different paying jobs. The job titles tell the story. Work looks good on an application because it shows that you were doing enough of value that someone was willing to pay you for your services.

Secondly, in one of my current jobs I work in the ED as a RA. Although it isn't part of my job description, when traumas come in (and it's at a level 1 trauma center, so quite a few do) I tend to observe what goes on in the trauma room. It's much more interesting that standing around twiddling my thumbs while I wait for things to calm down so I can collect patient data. Should I include this in the description, even though it's not part of the job? I haven't had any formal shadowing experience, but thought maybe this could help offset that...

Thanks again!

Put that in the free text.
 
Hey All,

More random questions from the pre-med masses:

I lived and worked overseas for about 2.5 years. During my first year I worked a several random short-term full-time temp jobs as well as a few longer-term part-time jobs. I also traveled for about 3 months during this time.

Eventually I settled down with one job that I stayed with for the remainder of my time overseas, about one year. This job I'm very proud of, is very interesting and I will be putting it on my AMCAS, but I'm not sure how to approach the rest of my time.

Should I just put my 'real' job? Should I list all the jobs I worked in a separate section? Should I lump them all together in a single section (I do have space to split them)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey All,

More random questions from the pre-med masses:

I lived and worked overseas for about 2.5 years. During my first year I worked a several random short-term full-time temp jobs as well as a few longer-term part-time jobs. I also traveled for about 3 months during this time.

Eventually I settled down with one job that I stayed with for the remainder of my time overseas, about one year. This job I'm very proud of, is very interesting and I will be putting it on my AMCAS, but I'm not sure how to approach the rest of my time.

Should I just put my 'real' job? Should I list all the jobs I worked in a separate section? Should I lump them all together in a single section (I do have space to split them)?


I'd give the 1 year job its own section with the dates, etc. The temp jobs could be combined as employment or combined with the travel and called "other". Use the text section to explain in a brief paragraph that you worked several tempoary jobs including x, y and z as well as traveled throughout [geographic place name].
 
Thanks for all your help LizzyM...I had one more question about listing jobs/scholarships. Right now, I only have medically related jobs listed. In addition, for the last couple years at college I've worked as a gameroom attendant. The summer before freshman year, I worked full-time at Burger King (this was in addition to another 36 hr/week job at the doctor's office). I hesitate to list either of these jobs, because the Burger King was only for one summer before freshman year and the gameroom job doesn't have a whole lot of responsibility and is just a pretty cushy job on campus. I would however like to convey to the schools that I've done these jobs (and a few other random, cushy jobs) because I need the money. I'm proud of the fact that everything I've bought since about high school has been with my own money...I even pay my own tuition (granted, I am on a huge need-based scholarship from the school) because my family really can't afford to. My school just has a reputation for having a bunch of "rich white kids" and I want to convey that I don't fit this stereotype at all..however, looking over my application, there is nothing to say that I don't fit this stereotype, because the jobs I've listed have been "academic."
In addition I had a question about scholarships... my school covers 100% of a family's need, so I get about $35,000 in scholarship every year. Freshman year and every year since I was selected as a school scholar based on merit, and my scholarship came from specific donors who had given money to the schools. The actual amount I get did not change, just the source. I've received two of these special merit scholarships throughout the the last three years. However, I don't know whether to mention this because it isn't completely based on merit...For example, someone who has done just as well but does not have any financial need would not qualify for these scholarships. However I thought this might help convey that I am not the typical affluent student from my school. What do you think? Is this even something that I should worry about conveying to the schools? I'm not trying to get sympathy points or anything; I just think this is something that has had a pretty big impact on my thoughts/goals/values, etc. Thanks
 
Thanks for all your help LizzyM...I had one more question about listing jobs/scholarships. Right now, I only have medically related jobs listed. In addition, for the last couple years at college I've worked as a gameroom attendant. The summer before freshman year, I worked full-time at Burger King (this was in addition to another 36 hr/week job at the doctor's office). I hesitate to list either of these jobs, because the Burger King was only for one summer before freshman year and the gameroom job doesn't have a whole lot of responsibility and is just a pretty cushy job on campus. I would however like to convey to the schools that I've done these jobs (and a few other random, cushy jobs) because I need the money. I'm proud of the fact that everything I've bought since about high school has been with my own money...I even pay my own tuition (granted, I am on a huge need-based scholarship from the school) because my family really can't afford to. My school just has a reputation for having a bunch of "rich white kids" and I want to convey that I don't fit this stereotype at all..however, looking over my application, there is nothing to say that I don't fit this stereotype, because the jobs I've listed have been "academic."
In addition I had a question about scholarships... my school covers 100% of a family's need, so I get about $35,000 in scholarship every year. Freshman year and every year since I was selected as a school scholar based on merit, and my scholarship came from specific donors who had given money to the schools. The actual amount I get did not change, just the source. I've received two of these special merit scholarships throughout the the last three years. However, I don't know whether to mention this because it isn't completely based on merit...For example, someone who has done just as well but does not have any financial need would not qualify for these scholarships. However I thought this might help convey that I am not the typical affluent student from my school. What do you think? Is this even something that I should worry about conveying to the schools? I'm not trying to get sympathy points or anything; I just think this is something that has had a pretty big impact on my thoughts/goals/values, etc. Thanks


List those jobs! It describes how you spend your time and it sounds like a lot of time. You know what it is to work hard and you aren't afraid of putting in long hours. Does that sound like someone an adcom would like to meet?

The scholarships, if they are need based don't really say much about you other than you are less affluent than most students at your school and your school has the resources to make it affordable for you. If you have a slot, list it once and name the various scholarships in the text section.
 
Hi everyone! This is a great thread! I have a question: I worked at a home for people with developmental disabilities for 2 years while in college...when I graduated from college I went into AmeriCorps and worked for the same place...should I separate the work experience from the AmeriCorps position? While in AmeriCorps I actually lived in the home but when I was working there I didn't. Thanks so much!
 
Thank you so much for all your help LizzyM! I really would not know who to go to with these question if not these forums...I think this should be my last question:

I have a really cool job for this summer that deals with both my education and healthcare interests...in my personal statement, I briefly mention this job ("This is some of the stuff about education that I'm interested in pursuing. This is what i've done, and this upcoming summer i'll be working with dr. xxx to yyy"). However, the job doesn't "officially" start for two weeks, and I don't know whether to put it in the activities yet because i don't know how many hours a week it will be (just however long it takes to do the project, rather than a set amount of time) and i'm not completely positive about what each of my responsibilities will be yet. So my question is, if I mention it in the personal statement but not in the activities section, would that just confuse adcoms? or would they understand that the project hasn't started yet and they should give me a secondary/interview to hear more about it? I have met with the project director several times to talk about this project, so I could put a vague description of it in the activities section if that would be better. Thanks!!
 
Thank you so much for all your help LizzyM! I really would not know who to go to with these question if not these forums...I think this should be my last question:

I have a really cool job for this summer that deals with both my education and healthcare interests...in my personal statement, I briefly mention this job ("This is some of the stuff about education that I'm interested in pursuing. This is what i've done, and this upcoming summer i'll be working with dr. xxx to yyy"). However, the job doesn't "officially" start for two weeks, and I don't know whether to put it in the activities yet because i don't know how many hours a week it will be (just however long it takes to do the project, rather than a set amount of time) and i'm not completely positive about what each of my responsibilities will be yet. So my question is, if I mention it in the personal statement but not in the activities section, would that just confuse adcoms? or would they understand that the project hasn't started yet and they should give me a secondary/interview to hear more about it? I have met with the project director several times to talk about this project, so I could put a vague description of it in the activities section if that would be better. Thanks!!



They would understand. The PS is a place to put things not in the activities list that flow with your general theme and are of importance. Secondaries usually give a chance to put things not on AMCAS. You can expound upon it then.
 
Hi everyone! This is a great thread! I have a question: I worked at a home for people with developmental disabilities for 2 years while in college...when I graduated from college I went into AmeriCorps and worked for the same place...should I separate the work experience from the AmeriCorps position? While in AmeriCorps I actually lived in the home but when I was working there I didn't. Thanks so much!

I think that they deserve 2 slots to distinguish that these were different activities located in the same place.

And, just an FYI for people who do "live-in" stuff. don't list hours per week at 168. Just list the hours that you were awake and actively engaged in the activity.
 
I was a tutor for 2 years during college, but I wasn't affiliated with any organization. I basically spread the word to family & friends and ended up tutoring 3-5 students throughout the 2 years. I'm listing this on the AMCAS and want to know if I should leave the contact info blank, or if I should enter my name.

Thanks!!
 
I was a tutor for 2 years during college, but I wasn't affiliated with any organization. I basically spread the word to family & friends and ended up tutoring 3-5 students throughout the 2 years. I'm listing this on the AMCAS and want to know if I should leave the contact info blank, or if I should enter my name.

Thanks!!

I would just leave it blank.
 
If anyone gets a chance, I'd sincerely appreciate some help with the following:

Because of the nature of my recent activities, I've done quite a bit of "lumping" on my AMCAS app. As a result, I have a number of work/activities with "various" listed as the contact information (I've done significant activities in Norcal, Socal, FL, VA, NC, and IN over the past 6 years).

Will my lack of contact info be a problem for an ADCOM?

As ever, advice is appreciated.
pianola
 
If anyone gets a chance, I'd sincerely appreciate some help with the following:

Because of the nature of my recent activities, I've done quite a bit of "lumping" on my AMCAS app. As a result, I have a number of work/activities with "various" listed as the contact information (I've done significant activities in Norcal, Socal, FL, VA, NC, and IN over the past 6 years).

Will my lack of contact info be a problem for an ADCOM?

As ever, advice is appreciated.
pianola

I would just put the contact's name and title in the description if you have enough characters left.
 
I've loved reading all of your advice, LizzyM, and now I have a question of my own.

How do adcoms view shadowing experiences of healthcare providers that are NOT MDs (i.e. nurses, PAs, PTs, etc). I did a couple different ones in college and I think it was good exposure to healthcare in general, and helped me understand the roles of different providers. But is it lame?

Thanks!
 
Hi LizzyM,
I just joined and read many of your tips. Thanks for the great information!
I wanted to ask you whether or not to include my research experience. As part of my major, I will be/have started conducting anthropological research that focuses on the influence culture has on the diagnosis of autism. I'll be interviewing clinicians, teachers, and parents to make a comparative analysis between India and the U.S. about my findings. Do you think this is worth putting down, although it's not scientific research and that the thesis won't be completed until next spring? I'm traveling to India, however, in July, so I'll be able to talk about that experience come interview time.
And as a follow up: I received grants to do the research. Would that be something worth including in the experience box, too (it's much greater than $200)?

Thanks for your help! 🙂
 
I have a couple of questions that I was hoping others could help me out with...

1. Things like cum laude, First-Year Academic Distinction and scholarship for study abroad..can those be categorized as one thing under Honor? It's not like there is much to explain about them so I was just thinking that under the description I'd list the main and perhaps a line about a criteria for honors that are not so common. However, in that case ... what would I put under 'Experience name' or ..things like Contact's First name etc..do I leave them blank for such a category?

2. If I tutored in college and then continued to do that with local students post graduation then can that be under one category? even though I'm tutoring them in different subjects? It's weird because the no. of hours I tutored as a college student is different from the number of hours I do now and also in college I did it through a tutoring program so there is a Contact person etc that I can name but now I do it independently so there is no such information..I'm just wondering how I would list/present that

3. If you earned a stipend through your college and used that do an internship one summer then how do you categorize that? It's not paid employment I don't think because it's a stipend. Technically you earned it (had to apply etc) so it's kind of an honor so I'm just not sure. Also, for my work I did a presentation after returning back to my school but I don't want to list it under presentation/poster and under something else so I'm a bit confused

4. Two of my activities that I will list under work/activity are the ones that really helped me figure out that medicine is what I want to pursue so I will be talking about them in my PS as well. Does that seem repetitive? I figured I had to list it even if I will be talking about them in my PS

4. Lastly, I'm really worried about the 2 categories that's in AMCAS "comm service/volunteer for clinical and non clinical" so I categorized all my activities and nothing really falls under that. I volunteered in a hospital in HS but not sure if I should put that. The thing is, though I didn't do too much volunteer work/community service, I have been working for a year in clinical research so I have experience working with patients/doctors but this is going to be under paid employment. I'm just a bit worried...what do y'all think?

Thanks so much in advance!!
 
I've loved reading all of your advice, LizzyM, and now I have a question of my own.

How do adcoms view shadowing experiences of healthcare providers that are NOT MDs (i.e. nurses, PAs, PTs, etc). I did a couple different ones in college and I think it was good exposure to healthcare in general, and helped me understand the roles of different providers. But is it lame?

Thanks!

If you are putting it in the experience section you can add a little something about how you saw this professional interact with physicians or that you were exploring different career paths before deciding on medicine. Understanding what other members of the health care team do is a good think to know, IMHO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi LizzyM,
I just joined and read many of your tips. Thanks for the great information!
I wanted to ask you whether or not to include my research experience. As part of my major, I will be/have started conducting anthropological research that focuses on the influence culture has on the diagnosis of autism. I'll be interviewing clinicians, teachers, and parents to make a comparative analysis between India and the U.S. about my findings. Do you think this is worth putting down, although it's not scientific research and that the thesis won't be completed until next spring? I'm traveling to India, however, in July, so I'll be able to talk about that experience come interview time.
And as a follow up: I received grants to do the research. Would that be something worth including in the experience box, too (it's much greater than $200)?

Thanks for your help! 🙂


Not research??? Anthropology is one of the social sciences and a flock of anthropologists will beat you senseless if you imply that their work is not research.

By all means, list it. Give that travel grant its own slot. Major way to impress an adcom is to show that you are worthy of research funding.
 
1. Things like cum laude, First-Year Academic Distinction and scholarship for study abroad..can those be categorized as one thing under Honor? It's not like there is much to explain about them so I was just thinking that under the description I'd list the main and perhaps a line about a criteria for honors that are not so common. However, in that case ... what would I put under 'Experience name' or ..things like Contact's First name etc..do I leave them blank for such a category?


Lump. Leave some of that stuff blank or list your college registrar. Frankly, I think that most of that stuff is filler on the application as the adcom can see your gpa by year and all your course work and can tell if you did "really well" or not.

2. If I tutored in college and then continued to do that with local students post graduation then can that be under one category? even though I'm tutoring them in different subjects? It's weird because the no. of hours I tutored as a college student is different from the number of hours I do now and also in college I did it through a tutoring program so there is a Contact person etc that I can name but now I do it independently so there is no such information..I'm just wondering how I would list/present that

Sounds like a different thing in terms of contact, hours, etc. Maybe list the college thing and then in the description, add that you continue to do this informally for x hrs per week. Or give the current tutoring thing its own slot

3. If you earned a stipend through your college and used that do an internship one summer then how do you categorize that? It's not paid employment I don't think because it's a stipend. Technically you earned it (had to apply etc) so it's kind of an honor so I'm just not sure. Also, for my work I did a presentation after returning back to my school but I don't want to list it under presentation/poster and under something else so I'm a bit confused

List it as "other", job title, "Intern". Description: you were awarded a stipend, did the work & presented it to the x group upon completion.
4. Two of my activities that I will list under work/activity are the ones that really helped me figure out that medicine is what I want to pursue so I will be talking about them in my PS as well. Does that seem repetitive? I figured I had to list it even if I will be talking about them in my PS

You need not list anything in your experience section. However, I think you would be wise to do so in this case. It would not be redundant.

4. Lastly, I'm really worried about the 2 categories that's in AMCAS "comm service/volunteer for clinical and non clinical" so I categorized all my activities and nothing really falls under that. I volunteered in a hospital in HS but not sure if I should put that. The thing is, though I didn't do too much volunteer work/community service, I have been working for a year in clinical research so I have experience working with patients/doctors but this is going to be under paid employment. I'm just a bit worried...what do y'all think?!

HS stuff does NOT belong in the Experience section. Work it into the PS if you must.

Adcoms aren't stupid or blind; they can see when paid employment involves clinical exposure. Don't worry about it.
 
Last edited:
LizzyM,

Ive done a couple searches and I still can't find the answer to this question. I attended SMDEP, which I am sure ADCOMs are familiar, and I was wondering if I should condense the many things we did (shadowing, writing courses, science courses, work with cadavers) in one section or make a spot for each thing. Also, I had about 3 seperate shadowing experiences, should I bunch them all into one, or separate those as well? Thanks!
 
If you worked in a Hospital laboratory as a student, and then were hired as a research technician upon graduation, Would it be ok to group them together?


If I did research each summer at different labs, and also did one during school, can I group them together as one?
 
For those of you who wrote this section in paragraph form did you write like:
I did XXX or I presented YYY. Or are you sort of writing it in resume format like:
Presented YYY and worked XXX. I am confused because I want to maintain a consistency in style but sometimes it's hard to describe some things at length without using 'I'

Please help. Thanks!
 
Hi Guys,

I have a question. Last summer, I attended a summer program in Anatomy which arranged for students to go observe surgeries in the nearby hospital. What kind of experience should I list this as? Does it go in the work/activities section? 😕
 
For those of you who wrote this section in paragraph form did you write like:
I did XXX or I presented YYY. Or are you sort of writing it in resume format like:
Presented YYY and worked XXX. I am confused because I want to maintain a consistency in style but sometimes it's hard to describe some things at length without using 'I'

Please help. Thanks!

LizzyM says its ok to use the word I. just dont try to turn it into an essay. make it short and sweet with what you did.
 
LizzyM,

Ive done a couple searches and I still can't find the answer to this question. I attended SMDEP, which I am sure ADCOMs are familiar, and I was wondering if I should condense the many things we did (shadowing, writing courses, science courses, work with cadavers) in one section or make a spot for each thing. Also, I had about 3 seperate shadowing experiences, should I bunch them all into one, or separate those as well? Thanks!

You can bunch together shadowing experiences.

I'd also list the program as one since it was all one program and then mentioned the different things you did in the description section.

That's like our PSEP program at USF. if you've done that you'd list it all as PSEP and then list the shadowing, MCAT prep, etc. all in the description section.
 
If you earned a study abroad scholarship through your school but later decided not to do abroad, is it okay to still list the scholarship under honor? I mean, ultimately I didn't use the scholarship as I decided against study abroad after receiving the scholarship. Also, if I do list the scholarship then do I need to explain why I didn't go abroad?
 
So I have been searching for a while and kind of confused what to do. I have been published and not sure how to go about listing it in the AMCAS. So my questions are:

What should I put in for the experience name?
How should I calculate the hours? I listed this experience as research in a separate slot and included hours there, should I just list the same amount of hours as I did for the research slot?
Is it fine just to cite the publication in the experience section? Or should I go in detail about what I did? I talked about my roles in the research experience section (summarized articles, created database for study, etc..).
Thank you for your help!

don't double count the hours. Call it publication, no hours. Put the citation in the free text section.
 
If you earned a study abroad scholarship through your school but later decided not to do abroad, is it okay to still list the scholarship under honor? I mean, ultimately I didn't use the scholarship as I decided against study abroad after receiving the scholarship. Also, if I do list the scholarship then do I need to explain why I didn't go abroad?

Listing the scholarship but not going abroad may be confusing. If you do list it you should explain why you didn't go abroad.
 
Is it necessary to list in the activities that you were in the honors program at your school? How can they know this? Also, is things like deans list necessary or can the ad coms just look at your gpa for this? thanks
 
Is it necessary to list in the activities that you were in the honors program at your school? How can they know this? Also, is things like deans list necessary or can the ad coms just look at your gpa for this? thanks

Some people do list honors programs (particularly UVa, for some reason) There is also some way of indicating in the transcript section that particular courses were honors courses. Sometimes, the LOR from your pre-med committee will point this out, too.

Deans list is rather pointless as I'd estimate that at least 85% of all applicants are eligible for Dean's list; it hardly sets one apart.
 
Some people do list honors programs (particularly UVa, for some reason) There is also some way of indicating in the transcript section that particular courses were honors courses. Sometimes, the LOR from your pre-med committee will point this out, too.

Deans list is rather pointless as I'd estimate that at least 85% of all applicants are eligible for Dean's list; it hardly sets one apart.

Thank you LizzyM!! If I have courses listed as honors should I still mention that I in the honors program? If yes, how should I list it and what do I need to describe? Thanks again!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did some undergrad research that was primarily used to supplement some of the projects that masters and phD students were working on. As a requirement I had to write papers on what I researched and provide a QandA session for each topic( I did one topic per semester for a total of 3 semesters) my question is: even if those papers did not get published, would it be ok to put that I wrote them and the title. I figured it would be ok since somebody interviewing me might think some of the stuff is neat and then we might end up talking about it.

Gracias!
 
In regards to publications, not to be whining but is it ok if I was the last author?

Also, the article has been accepted (April 08) and is in press so how do I go about citing it? Is this correct:

Elowert R, Aadeh N, Iaan M, Asteh M. Development of cell based ELISA for HIV. J Immun Med published April 16, 2008.

Last question, is it necessary to list conferences that you have attended that were related to your research or volunteer experience?[/QUOTE]
 
Last edited:
Hello all,

Quick question regarding the experience description portion:

It seems that the short descriptive phrases that LizzyM is recommending to describe my experiences is similar to what is already in my resume; is it bad if I just take the descriptions from my resume?

Or should I re-frame the descriptions to "highlight" more medically pertinent aspects of the experiences?

Much thanks!
 
If you are a Fulbright then under country/city do you put the country and city in which you will be working or the country/city that gave you the fellowship (U.S.)?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.