Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

Started by SailCrazy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The way I listed my activities, if i did it "seriously" (public exhibition, competitions, performance) i listed it. If i did it just did it for fun or for my own sake, i didn't. Artsy activities that were publically exhibited = listed under artistic endeavors; fencing + yoga, which i just do to keep in shape = not listed. Didn't think it was worth a mention, especially since there are only 15 slots...[/SIZE]
A question - I've been working through all of college to support myself, but i don't have nearly enough space to list all the random jobs i've had separately (nor would adcoms care that much, i think). If i lumped them all together as Employment, non military, how should i go about listing them in the description? Job, Date, brief summary?

Also, I've done 2 years of research (with another on-going project), with all the presentations and the conferences that normally come with it. It was all in the same lab, but they were all each distinct projects (one was purely molecular bio, my thesis was behavioral, the one i am doing now is an expansion of my thesis for a pub). I listed them all separately, since they were technically all different projects. Is that okay or is that just a waste of slots?


People PLEASE take note of the above colored and bolded and upper sized portion of the quoted. this is what I'm trying to say and others on here too.
 
I have a question. I went to a foreign country and did some work which I described in one of my activities. I am going back later this summer and put a note about that in the description. Is that ok? Also I wrote up all my descriptions for my work/activities with dashes and a short description. Usually using less than 500 characters. I don't come anywhere near the character limit. Will that be looked down upon?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to a foreign country and did some work which I described in one of my activities. I am going back later this summer and put a note about that in the description. Is that ok?

Also I wrote up all my descriptions for my work/activities with dashes and a short description. Usually using less than 500 characters. I don't come anywhere near the character limit. Will that be looked down upon?
In general, it is preferred that you not list future events, but rather update schools after you've completed the activity. However, if you've already done exactly the same activity once, a line at the end of the narrative about your plan wouldn't be a complete no-no (though it might be disregarded). Still, you take a risk:

We see posts on occasion where someone did what you propose and then broke their leg or had a family crisis that prevented their completing the plan. How do you think it looks if you have to write schools that it never happened?
 
My resume lists my leisure-time activities.

I think there is room for either approach, depending on how much you want the Experiences section to reflect your personality and whether you have enough space.

I don't know but I still feel like reading is one of those things a good majority of doctors do that its not anything that stands out for an activities section.

Same as going to the mall. Its unique hobbies I would list like dance lessons, music lessons, sports, etc.

Not stuff like gaming, reading, or going to the mall.

see what I'm saying?
 
Hey guys, quick question on entering activities

I'm in two choirs at my school, "University Chorus" and "concert choir." I have put them in different w/a slots to emphasize their importance on my life, but I don't want them to get confused that they are indeed two entirely DIFFERENT choirs. also, I dont want them to think I am just trying to create filler by not combining these choirs. I already have 11 other activities listed, so this would be 13 if i leave them uncombined, or 12 if I combine them. Any thoughts?
 
Hello everyone-- this thread has been immensely helpful so far. Thank you all for the various bits of great input.

A question for LizzyM,

Does only having several activities run the risk of being "looked down" at by the adcoms? Right now I have 6 activities listed, and I am struggling to find anything else that would not come off as "fluff." The reason I only have that many is that I spent a great deal of time with the ones I do have-- for example spending over 3 years of my time doing research in two different labs on campus (2 years in one, 1 year in the other). I also have listed some doctor shadowing and pet clinic volunteering I have done, as well as a Deans list award and my main hobby playing volleyball (something I picked up fresh and developed my skill and teamwork abilities with over three years). However, the rest of my time was spent studying my butt off for my major and pre-med classes (which had no overlap at all, almost like a double major) and left me with little time to invest in other activities.

Will adcoms be able to recognize that my lower number activities are a result of me concentrating my time on these several things? Or will it look bad that I don't seem to have as many as most people do?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Not to suggest that this is just "check the box" but the major questions I'm asking myself when I look at the experience section:

service to others?
clinical experience? (close enough to smell patients)
research experience? (systematic collection of data to obtain generalizable new knowledge)
summer or "period of time out of school" activities?
what does the applicant do for fun?
employed during the school year?

If you can cover what you've done in six entries they you're covered and while the list may seem short if the time periods were long, it won't look bad.
 
I am a little annoyed with works/activities right now (though happy I am getting around to it 😀).

Problem 1: The Experience Type pretty much covers the experience name for me, and I feel idiotic putting the same thing twice. For example, when it says Honors/Awards/Recognitions, the experience name is exactly the same for me as well. Is that okay or should I try to make the two different?

Also, instead of taking up ridiculous amounts of space, I am trying to group awards and scholarships together, but then it asks for award date. Unfortunately, the award date is not optional, though all awards were not given at the same time. What should I do?

Finally, research/lab and publications are different categories. However, everything I did for lab or research was published in the school journal, so should I create two different categories for research and publications, or just write it down in one category?

Thanks to whoever takes the time to answer 🙂
 
What are you guys writing for research descriptions? Brief, generalized terms in a few lines about what the basic idea of what you did was? Or specific details of your project and results, that come close to the 1325 character limit? Anyone mind posting an example of how they described their individual research experience?

fyi there isn't any publications or anything- this is the first research i did at college just to gain some experience...
 
LizzyM mentioned that you could get away with listing a future activity that started in June by listing June-present (assuming you submit in June). I want to list it, but won't really have a thorough description of what I am doing at this point. Could I write in the description something like "will send update letter"? or is it best to write a basic description ...
 
also, LizzyM mentioned that it is best to not use "I" and just give descriptions like "worked at this place for...". But for more personal things like your hobbies and the ECs that mean more to you, is it okay to use "I" to describe things?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
why is it best not to use I?

The description section used to be much smaller (fewer charcters) and most people wrote very concisely, like an old fashioned "help wanted" ad. With more space many people started writing mini-essays and the rank and file adcom members, ignorant of the change in characters allowed, thought that the descriptions were too long and wordy and longed for the "good old days"

you can say "I have been engaged in testing...." or you can say, "I test..."

It isn't that you should or shouldn't use I but you could leave it out as people do on resumes.
 
I have a position this summer at a clinical research lab, and while it is a full time job with full responsibilities, it is unpaid. Would it be better to post this as Volunteer-Clinical work or as Research/Lab...and why?

Thanks! 😛
 
Questions about recent activities:

I started a paid tutoring position in April (its an independent contract job and I currently have one client, 2hours a week), should I list it? I'm also starting hospice volunteering and another paid position to teach an mcat class right now, should I list these??

Also, I had a 2 month job during the school year that I spent about 10 hours on a week (2008), is that worth listing?

Thanks!
 
I have a position this summer at a clinical research lab, and while it is a full time job with full responsibilities, it is unpaid. Would it be better to post this as Volunteer-Clinical work or as Research/Lab...and why?

Thanks! 😛

I think you should list it as Research. First off, I think that sounds more impressive since clinical research is more rare as an EC. Also, you are actually doing research, just in a clinical setting. Research is research, no matter if you get paid or not. Just my opinion, best of luck!
 
I have two questions:

1) I know it is generally best not to list any high school activities. However, I did do some shadowing in high school? Should that be included?

2) I am starting to do some research with a physician in my city. It hasn't really gotten underway yet...we have met a couple of times to discuss logistics but beyond that we haven't started. Based on what Ive read on this thread so far I shouldnt list it since it is pretty much a "future" activity. Just want to get your thoughts on that.
 
OK I had to start my stuff pretty much over since i ran out of space for AMCAS and now i REALLY LIKE REALLY NEED HELP in Grouping what I have done.

So this is mm like short CV I was going to post it here but it's about 4-5 pages long and I am only an undergraduate lol but here it goes. I would like to put a brief description though lol but let me know if you need one just in case
 
Last edited:
OK I had to start my stuff pretty much over since i ran out of space for AMCAS and now i REALLY LIKE REALLY NEED HELP in Grouping what I have done.

So this is mm like short CV I was going to post it here but it's about 4-5 pages long and I am only an undergraduate lol but here it goes. I would like to put a brief description though lol but let me know if you need one just in case

Research
1. SUNY Downstate Medical Summer Research Program

2. Minority Health International Research Training Scholar in Africa (FREE TRIP) (I also volunteered when I was in Africa at a hospital and plus since this is a separate country i put it in a different category as well. international experience

3. A UNCF Merck Undergraduate Scholar (this is also a 35,000 scholarshi and then this summer I am researching at one of there facilities this year, so should I put this also in scholarships and awards)

4. Howard Hughes Academic Research Scholar as well ( I presented research at Spelman College Research Day and won 1st place in my Poster, Kudos To me) SO the award is also another thing as well.

Scholarships/Awards/Recognition/Honors

1. Recipient of the UNCF Merck Scholarship for 35,000

2. Recipient of the UNCF MEdtronic Scholarship for 5,000

3. Amtrak Scholarship (don't think this is worth mentioning lol)

4. UNCF Jack H. Skirball Ethical Leadership Scholarship for $ 5,000 (but this was also a year long program in which we learned the how to become an ethical leader and what should we do when we are at the intersection. How can we build character, civility and community in our neighborhood. So I was going to put this also in Leadership as well. IDK as of yet

4. Beta Kappa Chi Scientific Honor Society (held a position here for last year(2009-2010), I was actually the president Whoo Hoo and I am the Vice President for next year (2010-2011). SO I need help on this man 🙁

5. Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Professional Honor Society

6. National Society of Leadership and Success( I went to Presidential Membership because of my GPA and Leadership Role in the community, Yayyyy BABBYYY, Also I am the new treasurer for 2010-2011)

7. Just got qualified after 6-weeks of looking at my paperwork and qualifications, diliberating and so forth I am a new member of Sigma Xi: Scientific Honor Society as an associate member. I nominated myself since the chapter at SPelman is inactive and after 6-weeks they said I am qualified, you have to make a contribution to the scientific world 🙂 in order to be full membership meaning publishing and stuff like that (published 2-3 articles exact) but associate membership is not shabby for an undergraduate student esp since I have to qualify for it

8. First Place in Spelman College Research Day CHemistry Poster (Trophy was flyyy with three y's) lol

Conferences Attended

Student National Medical Association in Chi_town sooo loved it here Next year Indiana here I come Yayyy 🙂


NOW Scholarly Programs I am in

1. Honors Program (a program for three years in order to graduate in honors I have to take honor courses and write my honors thesis 🙁 )

2. Health Disparities Scholar Program (a 2 yr program in which we discuss the health disparities that are affecting our community, I atend seminars and forums as well. In addition, research is required but my Howard Hughes Program compensate the research portion, COOL)

3. Health Career Opportunity Pipeline Preparation Program (HCOPP) ( a 3 year program in which it in other words help/assist/expose me to medicine we meet up twice a month and done HEENT exams, Prep for MCAT, research and personal statment writings stuff like that.

4. Jack H. Skirball Ethical Leadership (see above description) but this is a year long program

5. Health Careers Program in General

*Scholarly Programs I dont know what I should list them as, shoud it be Leadership or something else HELP PLEASE

Community Service Have to Help out you know 🙂 Came from Brooklyn, New York so you already know how it is

Boys and Girls Club tutor

Village Nursing Home

I am currently a mentor with Bigh Brothers/Big Sisters of Atlanta for a year now 🙂

Last Summer: International Volunteer at the University of Cape Coast Hosipital, Shadowing doctors and nurses and going into the Village to take about HIV/AIDS Awareness, malnutrition and other stuff like that

Alternative Spring Break (Galveston, Texas) for a week 🙂

Now Leadership Experiences (did not list the dates)

Outside of Spelman College, with SNMA(student National Medical Association) I am more than likely definitely going to be on the publications committee as well as the pre-med committee probably regional liasion 🙂 Yayyyy

This Academic Year on Spelman College Campus (2010-2011)
Vice President of BKX
National Society of Leadership and Success Treasurer

Last Academic Year (2009-2010)
President of BKX
Spelman Health Careers Club 2011 Class Rep
1st Attendant for Morehouse Health Careers Club (Idk if this should be extracurriculum)
Minority Health Pre-medical Students (MAPS) Represenatve hopefully for 2010-2011 I am the President Fingers Cross

2 Years Ago 2008-2009
Spelman Health Careers Club Treasurer

At my Old School SUNY Old Westbury

LEEDS SCholar
Freshman Class Treasurer

Cross Country Member (99th place out of 99) Hey I tried you know 🙂

Other things too such as Extracurricla activities at Spelman College

Walking /Jogging (even though I took this as a class I do do this outside of class as well)
Tap dance (I took it as a class this semester but I used to tap in hs had to remember and I practice when I can)

Chemistry Club
Health Careers Club at Spelman and at Morehouse
NAACP
Reading and the works

So as you can see I have done alot and I don't know what I should focus on if you can help that would be great 🙂

I feel like you can get it all in if you group things together and describe in the description area what they are in short. Rather then using the description area for the descriptions use it to list the different sort of awards or scholars.

Like list your student organizations together if you are running out of space for room and list some of your research positions together.

That's all I can say. AND WOWZA at how much you've done. If your numbers are equally as well, I imagine you'll be walking away with a lot of acceptances this year.

And list the 3 or 4 scholarships above together for sure. don't list them separately even if you choose to leave some of the research positions separately.

Also for research another way to do it is that if you don't have space, if you did a publication, a conference, and worked in a lab all for the same lab. Just group all of that together.
 
I started a paid tutoring position in April (its an independent contract job and I currently have one client, 2hours a week), should I list it? I'm also starting hospice volunteering and another paid position to teach an mcat class right now, should I list these??

Also, I had a 2 month job during the school year that I spent about 10 hours on a week (2008), is that worth listing?
If they have not started, do not list them.

List the tutoring under Teaching or under Employment.

Go ahead and list the 2008 job. You can name it short-term employment. if you start the MCAT teaching before you submit, you could put it in the same space.

Provided you have another substantive clinical experience, you need not list the hospice volunteering if you start before submission. Instead, you could mention it in an update letter.
 
1) I know it is generally best not to list any high school activities. However, I did do some shadowing in high school? Should that be included?

2) I am starting to do some research with a physician in my city. It hasn't really gotten underway yet...we have met a couple of times to discuss logistics but beyond that we haven't started. Based on what Ive read on this thread so far I shouldnt list it since it is pretty much a "future" activity. Just want to get your thoughts on that.
1) You may list a HS activity provided it continued into the college years. If you've done more recent shadowing, list all of it in a single space.

If that's your only shadowing, mention it in the Personal Statement.

2) Do not list a future activity. Save it for an update letter.
 
I have a position this summer at a clinical research lab, and while it is a full time job with full responsibilities, it is unpaid. Would it be better to post this as Volunteer-Clinical work or as Research/Lab...and why?

I think you should list it as Research.

AH3 is correct. A research experience is always listed under Research, whether paid, volunteer, or for class credit. It is an important EC, and you don't want it to be missed by someone skimming over your application too quickly.

And while you might be volunteering your time, you are not performing a community service. The main benficiary to the activity is yourself.
 
I think you should list it as Research. First off, I think that sounds more impressive since clinical research is more rare as an EC. Also, you are actually doing research, just in a clinical setting. Research is research, no matter if you get paid or not. Just my opinion, best of luck!

thanks!! 😀
 
I feel like you can get it all in if you group things together and describe in the description area what they are in short. Rather then using the description area for the descriptions use it to list the different sort of awards or scholars.

Like list your student organizations together if you are running out of space for room and list some of your research positions together.

That's all I can say. AND WOWZA at how much you've done. If your numbers are equally as well, I imagine you'll be walking away with a lot of acceptances this year.

And list the 3 or 4 scholarships above together for sure. don't list them separately even if you choose to leave some of the research positions separately.

Also for research another way to do it is that if you don't have space, if you did a publication, a conference, and worked in a lab all for the same lab. Just group all of that together.




Yeah that is why I am working hard on my MCAT score because I know I can go to a GREAT Medical School and my cum and sci GPA is above a 3.5 so I have everything they are looking for

But ok u said descriptions correct if i group them together should i put the dates together as well lol like a CV format and a tiny description as well. And how about international experience and and leadership experience put them together correct

So the Experience type and Experience Description, amount of hours and whose in charge what I must put there that's another feat im going to do this right lol can I PM'ed you though
 
My main question: is a Canada/US meeting considered an international conference for CV, amcas?

i have a second author (out of 3) on an accepted abstract at an annual meeting in Vancouver. Traditionally, the meetings are in the US. It was presented by the first author, and that is easy to cite. But, do i classify this as a "presentation/poster" at a national or international meeting? If I put national, it closer to reality, but the adcoms start questioning my brain cells. Technically, it is an international conference. is there any reason to put this in a publication category, rather than presentation/poster? And also, if say a couple dudes or dudettes from other countries have an abstract, is it officially international?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My main question: is a Canada/US meeting considered an international conference for CV, amcas?

i have a second author (out of 3) on an accepted abstract at an annual meeting in Vancouver. Traditionally, the meetings are in the US. It was presented by the first author, and that is easy to cite. But, do i classify this as a "presentation/poster" at a national or international meeting? If I put national, it closer to reality, but the adcoms start questioning my brain cells. Technically, it is an international conference. is there any reason to put this in a publication category, rather than presentation/poster? And also, if say a couple dudes or dudettes from other countries have an abstract, is it officially international?
Since you will state the name and location of the conference, it will be clear that it's international without you stating that.

If the abstract with your name on it is published or accepted for publication in a national journal, you can list it as a Publication and include the citation.

If the abstract appeared in a booklet published by the conference, it is not a Publication.

As the research was not presented by you, you may list it as a Presentation if you make clear who presented it. If you qualify to list it as a Publication, you would not also list Presentation, you'd just make a note of that in the Publication narrative.

Alternatively, you can mention in the Research narrative that the abstract from the data of the project you've described, for which you were second author, was presented by XXXX, the first author of the abstract at XXXX conference, in XXXX City, on XXXXXdate.
 
If a finished a non-related B.S. and then immediately started taking med prerequisites, do I need to include activities/summer jobs from the first 4 years of undergrad? Seems kind of strange since it is all unrelated...
 
What is the best way to list a contact person for an activity who is dead? I was thinking of writing (deceased) after their last name.
 
What is the best way to list a contact person for an activity who is dead? I was thinking of writing (deceased) after their last name.

you don't need to put contact info. If you don't have any, you can leave it blank.

Also, if you want you can mention in the description that contact info isn't there because the person has since passed away. but I don't think that's necessary. just leave contact info blank.
 
If a finished a non-related B.S. and then immediately started taking med prerequisites, do I need to include activities/summer jobs from the first 4 years of undergrad? Seems kind of strange since it is all unrelated...

Yes experiences include things you did in undergrad regardless of what your major was or what you did at that time.

And if you worked to support yourself then I'd put those jobs on there. its things like that that make you stand out.
 
Yeah that is why I am working hard on my MCAT score because I know I can go to a GREAT Medical School and my cum and sci GPA is above a 3.5 so I have everything they are looking for

But ok u said descriptions correct if i group them together should i put the dates together as well lol like a CV format and a tiny description as well. And how about international experience and and leadership experience put them together correct

So the Experience type and Experience Description, amount of hours and whose in charge what I must put there that's another feat im going to do this right lol can I PM'ed you though

Yes for scholarships you can group them by listing name, date, and award amount and how long it is for. i.e. whether its for a year or every semester for 2 or 4 years, or just a single amount given at once, etc.

let me look at your others and give another response cuz I have to go through your other activities again.
 
Yeah that is why I am working hard on my MCAT score because I know I can go to a GREAT Medical School and my cum and sci GPA is above a 3.5 so I have everything they are looking for

But ok u said descriptions correct if i group them together should i put the dates together as well lol like a CV format and a tiny description as well. And how about international experience and and leadership experience put them together correct

So the Experience type and Experience Description, amount of hours and whose in charge what I must put there that's another feat im going to do this right lol can I PM'ed you though

As I stated group the four scholarships together.

Also group together your 2 honor societies and chemistry club and student organizations as one and do the same thing i said to do for scholarships for that. and in description for the clubs, you can list them, dates you were in them, and short description of what you did. Like very brief since you are limited for room.

For leadership in organizations, list them all together as leadership not found elsewhere tab.

Then again in the description section for the leadership roles say what your positions were and list which organization that corresponds to and again dates and hours. If you have room for a tiny description use it, but if not don't.

In all your things except scholarships, you could say one line about what you collectively learned. they do like that.

Try to group the poster presentations as well.

For the two tutoring mentoring, either list it as volunteer non medical or teaching/tutoring. I'd probably use the latter. And group them together and do the same thing I said above in the description section.

group clinical volunteering and shadowing too.

Then I think you'll still have enough room to list the different scholars programs separately as I think those might need mroe attn in terms of detailing what they are.

But then even some of those might need to be grouped if you want to add in stuff like the cross country because you have too much stuff.

The other alternative is that you can leave some stuff out if you look at what the secondaries for schools you are applying to are and add it as info not elsewhere on your app. But I think you can get it all in now if you continue grouping similar activities. And can always expand upon it in secondaries. You can look at the stickies up top of preallo for the old secondary prompts or go to the class thread pages and look for the first post in each thread to see what schools will have room for you to do this.

And good luck on the MCAT. I'm sure you do kickass and get in your choice medical school. 😀
 
No way, I would definitely not do that. The point of the contact is for them to verify if they so choose (maybe catching an eye of an adcom with the name of someone they know if you get lucky). I know its not your intention, but to me that seems insensitive and weird. If they have to ask, you can explain then. Certainly its not your fault and very understandable that you do not have a contact in this case. I know you might be worried that it seems shady, but I think the risk is far smaller than trying to "cover your bases" and start mentioning a dead person.
I would speculate that medical school adcoms aren't nearly as freaked out about mentioning dead people as the lay public. 🙄

Perhaps I should have explained more. This was a music teacher who I studied classical music under for over a decade, and who was relatively well known in certain circles. In the chance that someone does recognize her name, I think it would seem more insensitive to not respectfully acknowledge her death.
you don't need to put contact info. If you don't have any, you can leave it blank.

Also, if you want you can mention in the description that contact info isn't there because the person has since passed away. but I don't think that's necessary. just leave contact info blank.
I might go in this direction with it, simply describing that I studied under "the late So&So" instead of listing them as a contact. Actually the more I think about it the more I think this feels like the best way to present it. Thanks!
 
What if your experience type and experience name are the same?

Experience Type: Research/Lab

Experience Name: Undergraduate Researcher

What are you supposed to put in the experience name?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was for a private research company next to the college, but I put the name in the organization name category.
 
I published two peer-reviewed articles, one in 2008 and one in 2009. I was going to list them together under "Publications" but as far as I can tell I have to list one month and year. Is there a way around this or should I just list them separately?

I have the same question about posters - I presented posters at a bunch of conferences between 2007-2009, so I'd like to just lump them together but I don't know what to put in the month/year fields.

Thanks! I'm sorry if this has been asked before.
 
Hoping someone can help (is LizzyM out there?):

-If I have been in a certain volunteer position for ~4 years, but was not involved at all during a couple of semesters during this time (e.g., volunteered for 2 semesters, skipped 1 semester, volunteer for 2 more, skip 1, etc.). How do you enter this for dates/hours per week?

-My volunteer hours are all over the place (3 hours one week, 4 hours the next, 2 hours after that, etc.). How do you list number of hours per week in this case? (note I do not have record of my total hours, so can't really take an average that way).

-I've been a part of a program for 5 years, and will be listing this, but was wondering is it's okay to list a few particularly big projects that I've done within this program separately, or do they all need to be kept within the same description?
 
just wondering if most people fill up all 15 spots.
I have about 12 spots filled with good stuff.

I was going to add tutoring my friend in orgo but it was very casual, we were in the same class but I was good at it and she wasnt so she would come over once a week and I would go over lecture material with her.
no payment or anything. although she did buy me a 26er of rum after the exam : )

do u guys think that this is worth adding? I dont want to seem like im trying desperately trying to fill up the spots.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.