Adam638

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 16, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Can anyone tell me why in great vessel transposition, an infants fingers turn cyanotic before the toes??? I can't seem to figure out why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
With my Children Of The Corn
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
ei_0423.jpg

Get it?

Adam638

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 16, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I understand the concept of Great vessel transposition. My question is since both the fingers and toes are located in the systemic circulation, what is the reasoning behind the fact that the fingers become cyanotic faster than the toes?

About the Ads

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
cyanosis of the fingers > toes
means the lower extremities are getting oxygenated blood, while the upper extremities are getting blood w/lower oxygen.
This can happen if you have complete transposition of the great vessels with coarctation before the patent ductus arteriosis ("preductus") or complete interruption of the aortic arch, with pulmonary hypertension and a reverse shunt through the patent ductus. delivering oxygenated blood to the lower extremities.

Great question :)

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Agreed, good question. Sorry, in hindsight my response probably seemed a little glib. When I was first asked something like this question, having a picture in my mind helped (I'm sort of a split auditory/visual learner) to figure it out. But the way the question was worded to me was "what could cause reverse differential cyanosis" (and as D99 correctly intimated, D-TGA in and of itself does not always present with such)

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
And by the way: if the original question had been presented (incorrectly) as why do all D transposition present with cyanosis of the fingers first, it could be that the questioner was referring to when D-TGA presents at an earlier closure of the ductus (i.e. early neonatal period) at a time when there is still a high PVR (essentially acting as if there was pulmonary hypertension)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.