GREAT video games that are helping us kill time until normalcy resumes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I'll go first:

Blaphemous is a 2D, metroidvania-style hack-and-slash platformer with absolutely gorgeous pixel art and is menacingly hard until you get the hang of it.

Imagine you're walking a medieval countryside. An apocalypse of biblical nature has already occurred. The remaining humans refer to it as "The Miracle", but they mean to say: "The Grievous Miracle". Cities lay in ruin. Churches are split in two down the middle. Plague and pestilence ravage the land. God is clearly a vengeful God. Nothing left to do but kick his ass and everyone else's collective ass along the way. Trailer follows:

Its so good that I'm on my third playthrough.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That game is seriously amazing. I played it so much for a while I thought my wife was going to divorce me. Can’t wait for the sequel that’s coming out! (My wife says she has her lawyer on hold....)

I think that I have put in 60+ hours of gameplay and haven't finished the main story yet...brings me back to Ocarina of Time days as a kid. I didn't know a sequel was in the works...thats amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the rpg front, i loved elder scrolls

now playing more call of duty modern warfare

Reactions: 2 users
Been playing COD modern warfare (war zone) and just started playing Elite Dangerous and continue to futilely attempt Kerbal Space Program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the rpg front, i loved elder scrolls

now playing more call of duty modern warfare
Warzone is pretty fun, and it's free. Annoying a lot of the time though as it's 100-200 players per server either solo or in teams, and only 1 team can win. That said, you feel pretty ****ing awesome if you do win.

Welp.
I guess I'm the only one who has had his fill of FPS for one lifetime.

Brood_War_box_art_(StarCraft).jpg

StarCraft-Brood-War-Free-Download-Full-Version-PC-Crack-15.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone have any recommendations for the game cube? I recently dug mine out of storage and have been having a blast playing Super Smash Melee with the fiancé.

But it’s getting old quick...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any recommendations for the game cube? I recently dug mine out of storage and have been having a blast playing Super Smash Melee with the fiancé.

I liked paper mario. Also imho, the cartooney zelda game was way underrated (I liked it a lot better than skyward sword).

Honest question--is breath of the wild worth buying a switch for? This is from someone who hasn't thought about picking up a video game controller for the past 8 years....but I've probably put in over 100 hrs for every single zelda game since ocarina...

Blasphemous was good. They said they are going add a patch soon that sounds interesting.

Doom Eternal is incredible. I snagged a collectors edition and have the helmet which I can’t wait to go snowboarding in.

I’m waiting for Valve Index to come out of backorder so I can play Half Life: Alyx. Never paid $1,000 to play a single game but for half life? Sure why not!

I want to play the Final Fantasy 7 remake but I am strictly a PC gamer now so I’ll wait.

Blasphemous was good. They said they are going add a patch soon that sounds interesting.

DLC is coming in the summer. I get the sense that its not just 'play as a different character, lolz', but rather "here's a whole new map".

I want to play the Final Fantasy 7 remake but I am strictly a PC gamer now so I’ll wait.

So, I played the FF7 remake demo.
What was once THE BEST strategy RPG is now a button-masher for the 'general *******es' to enjoy.
Just walk up to an enemy, and start hitting (X) until its dead. Repeat with next enemy.

DLC is coming in the summer. I get the sense that its not just 'play as a different character, lolz', but rather "here's a whole new map".

So, I played the FF7 remake demo.
What was once THE BEST strategy RPG is now a button-masher for the 'general *******es' to enjoy.
Just walk up to an enemy, and start hitting (X) until its dead. Repeat with next enemy.
Sad. I was afraid of that. Oh well.

Honestly I love the remake! I was a huge fan of the OG FF7 so there is lots of nostalgia. Beyond the demo, there are bosses which need much more than “press x to win”.

Try Star Wars Jedi: fallen order. Finding it very entertaining!

I want to try breath of the wild but also only do PC. I think there is a PC emulator but not sure how well it works.

I did enjoy Jedi:Fallen Order.
Mario+Rabbids is a bit of mindless fun without taking hours of your time.

Jedi Fallen Order was awesome, finished that one a few months ago. However, going back and re-doing the planets over and over got a little bit stale. The Vader scene was epic.

I typically game on my X1X but have all systems. As much fun as Zelda BOTW was...I just can't get into my Switch. I've got a 65 OLED in my den with this ridiculously comfy lazy boy chair that I just sink into and plop on a pair of Astro A50s. It's just much more fun to play the X1X in that room...

I also played Hellblade recently (I think it was free on GamePass) and as weird as that game was...I was really impressed. Will def be playing the 2nd one when XSX releases.

I may finish Ori and play the second one. Ordinarily, I'm not a huge platformer but had fun with the original.

Reactions: 1 users
My first comment was just what's actively on my plate, some of my personal favorites:

Recent:
Doom eternal
Warzone
Zelda BotW
Control

2d:
Hollow knight
Dead cells

Rpg:
The Witcher 3 (best game of all genres. Utterly amazing. Have played it through at least 3 times.)
Dragon age: origins
Fallout: new Vegas
Mass effect 2
Divinity original sin 2

RTS:
StarCraft 1 with expansions
StarCraft 2
Faster than light

Turn based strategy:
Into the breach
Civ 4
Xcom 2

FPS:
Deus ex reboots (the original was amazing but hasn't aged well)
Doom reboot
Wolfenstein reboot

How could this list not include anything from the Diablo series?!

I stopped playing D3 because the drops come to easy but still playing D2!

Also still doing some Dark Souls 3 and Borderlands 3, good stuff.

IMG_5576.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 4 users
I hope they come out with Civ7

civ 5 was one of my favorite of all times. Civ 6 was ok although never really liked the religion system.

another two great games that you MUST play if not already: Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of war games!

wish I could play Witcher 3 but it gives me motion sickness (most FPS view games do; for some reason I can play ones where the view is a bit further away)

Last edited:
Diablo is so good.
So simple. Point. Click.
But there's so much in there.
So so so much.
The drops alone make it great.

Any recs for some nice relaxing games? I really wanted to play Islanders on steam, but it isn't compatible with the recent OS X updates.

Might have to fire up Skyrim again. That was the last super immersive game I played. Wow, I'm old.

Get a PC.

Macs are for three types of people.

1.) Artists
2.) The unemployed
3.) Both (1) and (2) above.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Also getting back into board games again. Really been enjoying Pandemic (timely), Tokaido, and Forbidden Island.

I hope they come out with Civ7

civ 5 was one of my favorite of all times. Civ 6 was ok although never really liked the religion system.

another two great games that you MUST play if not already: Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of war games!

wish I could play Witcher 3 but it gives me motion sickness (most FPS view games do; for some reason I can play ones where the view is a bit further away)
I don't know if it helps, but Witcher 3 is 3rd person view, not 1st person. The camera makes it seem as if you are about 10 feel behind Geralt. If you are able to play Shadow of Mordor, you should be fine with the Witcher. The camera is almost identical.

Get a PC.

Macs are for three types of people.

1.) Artists
2.) The unemployed
3.) Both (1) and (2) above.

I have no art skillz, and apparently I am gainfully employed. I think the system just crashed.

Last edited:
I've been playing a lot of Gwent
Any good? My fear is that it will be like hearthstone which was very much pay to win. Can you play for free? Yes. Are you going to have anywhere near the same chance of winning as someone that dumped 100 bucks into cards? No.

Curious if Gwent is the same.

I recently bought BOTW on Switch. I barely play any games since my son was born, but I needed something to survive quarantine life. For those who have never played, buying Overwatch could be the best and worst decision of your life.

Any good? My fear is that it will be like hearthstone which was very much pay to win. Can you play for free? Yes. Are you going to have anywhere near the same chance of winning as someone that dumped 100 bucks into cards? No.

Curious if Gwent is the same.
It's the most free to play card game I've ever played. You can get any card of your choice with scraps and it is so easy to get card barrels that it literally doesn't make sense to buy them with cash. I've been playing for like three weeks and I've already got a very hard to beat deck that stomps in ranked despite not spending a dime until today (I dropped 10 bucks for the season pass not because I needed it but because I figured I'd gotten ten bucks out of the game and wanted to support the developers).

It's the most free to play card game I've ever played. You can get any card of your choice with scraps and it is so easy to get card barrels that it literally doesn't make sense to buy them with cash. I've been playing for like three weeks and I've already got a very hard to beat deck that stomps in ranked despite not spending a dime until today (I dropped 10 bucks for the season pass not because I needed it but because I figured I'd gotten ten bucks out of the game and wanted to support the developers).

I do this, all the time.
Bring me awesome games, dudes and dudettes.

Go have a six-pack on me.

Metroid prime 1 & 2 are fantastic.

A while ago I got the NES and SNES mini, then the Genesis mini.
Awesome time w those.

I recently bought BOTW on Switch. I barely play any games since my son was born, but I needed something to survive quarantine life. For those who have never played, buying Overwatch could be the best and worst decision of your life.

Love Overwatch! Haven't played it much compared to when it first came out, but provided hours and hours of fun. I haven't touched it in months, but played it recently to try out the new hero.

Metroid prime 1 & 2 are fantastic.

A while ago I got the NES and SNES mini, then the Genesis mini.
Awesome time w those.

See; these are still FPS.
I know I'm going to be ostracized for my attitude regarding this, but I'm so freaking sick and tired of "put the enemy in the crosshairs and squeeze".
Can I please have another 2D Metroid (a real Metroid?)

I played Axiom Verge thru twice. It was awesome. Waaaay better than any FPS.

Surprised to see nobody has mentioned the Total War series. Its a combination of turn based strategy and real-time strategy. If you like military history I'd highly recommend, but be forewarned that they are pretty taxing on the PC so you'll need a pretty good rig to run them at full settings.

I gotta recommend Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Beautiful, creative, great music. Super relaxing.

See; these are still FPS.
I know I'm going to be ostracized for my attitude regarding this, but I'm so freaking sick and tired of "put the enemy in the crosshairs and squeeze".
Can I please have another 2D Metroid (a real Metroid?)

I played Axiom Verge thru twice. It was awesome. Waaaay better than any FPS.

The 3ds remake of Samus returns is great - but... Handheld :/ I agree.

I don't know if it helps, but Witcher 3 is 3rd person view, not 1st person. The camera makes it seem as if you are about 10 feel behind Geralt. If you are able to play Shadow of Mordor, you should be fine with the Witcher. The camera is almost identical.

Not sure why but I can play Mordor fine, but both Witcher 2 and 3 make me sick. The camera behind helps (can’t even try first person FPS like doom games) but something about the way the terrain/scenery moves in relation to the character makes the difference.

After this thread though I just went ahead and bought a switch and breath of the wild. looks awesome. Usually stick with PC only but I figure only 350 dollars is well worth 200+ hours of play!

Yet the company is worth > 1 trillion USD. Who knew all those starving artists and beggar homeless had so much in the piggy bank?! ;)

-Happy Ex-pc MAC user.

Yup...to buy their iphones. iPhone comprise a majority of their revenue.
RF forgot to add in students, but they are also considered the unemployed so I guess they are part of bucket #2.

RF forgot to add in students, but they are also considered the unemployed so I guess they are part of bucket #2.

I tried to use a Mac to get some work done the other day, but the Mac just gave me a condescending look and said : "You would try to do that, hunh?"

• Haha

Hey man, I used to be MSCE certified and worked and programmed on MS servers/workstations in my old job and I’m here to say Macs are infinitely more secure after their Unix base. One difference I’ve had since using Mac is that I’ve never had to worry about an antivirus product. Ever. Apple doesn’t market very well to corporations and it’s their own fault that corporate America is addicted to Winblows.