Greatest weakness question on interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakeplacid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a hard question to answer on interviews, because I want to be genuine, but I also want to present myself in the best possible light. I can answer with 100% honesty and say I have been told by a couple attendings that I need to speak up more and be more confident. This is probably the only criticism i have ever received during feedback sessions, and they are always kind enough to not put it on my written evaluation. I know that being quiet works against you in the medical field, and I am trying to present myself as being confident and extroverted during my interviews. So is talking about my biggest weakness being lack of confidence or not being outspoken enough in certain situations going to hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

How frequently is this question asked?

Since it tests your reflective ability, think about a situation you weren't happy with and how your own actions / beliefs / attitude interfered with a positive outcome.

The trick is that it is a past weakness..not a current one.. b/c you have 'fixed' yourself. If they call you out on it, just say "well I'm also really lazy". just kidding.

How frequently is this question asked?

Since it tests your reflective ability, think about a situation you weren't happy with and how your own actions / beliefs / attitude interfered with a positive outcome.

The trick is that it is a past weakness..not a current one.. b/c you have 'fixed' yourself. If they call you out on it, just say "well I'm also really lazy". just kidding.

FYI - be prepared for the "spin" answer to this to get called out... on my interview earlier this week one of the other candidates tried to do this and the interviewer interrupted him and said no, I mean a REAL weakness that you have right now. In light of that experience, I think the OP's answer is fine... it's genuine. Just make sure to stress that you recognize it as a weakness and you're actively working on it.

Noone is perfect, and any spin answer is likely to come off as ridiculous as when michael in the office said he "cared too much". Just be honest and say you're working to improve it. Of course, don't admit your weakness is "hookers and blow".

Noone is perfect, and any spin answer is likely to come off as ridiculous as when michael in the office said he "cared too much". Just be honest and say you're working to improve it. Of course, don't admit your weakness is "hookers and blow".

Welp...I'm screwed.

"Well....I have poor insight"....

Lol, I'm totally joking...I actually named 2 genuine weaknesses of mine during my IV and I felt like the IVer wanted to know more, so I topped it of with the above comment, it was the right time, right place sorta thing & it worked out well....the IVer laughed so hard, they had some snot flying...

I think it's OK to name your genuine weaknesses and state you're working on them...I mean isn't that the point of life...learning from mistakes, working on them...no one is perfect as said before. I think the point to the question is to see how much insight one has & how honest/confident they can be airing out a weakness. I called my weakness a challenge btw. I am challenged by...xyz.

I think your weakness is a great one, btw! Not everyone is a fan of extroverts, me included. If I was a interviewing body, that would make me relate with you and understand...I think all physicians have been in a similar place at one point in their life, especially starting out as a 1st/3rd yr on hospital rounds. Be yourself. Note how they respond to your weakness/challenge as well, b/c you are IVing that program as much as they are IVing you. Do they make fun of your weakness or do they encourage, reflect and state they understand...

G'luck!
A :) :) :)

If instead you said PCP instead of coke you could easily spin that weakness into a superhuman strength . . .

In the spirit of the thread --

what about the question: Tell me when your ethics were tested?

uggh. What a lame question. I just cannot come up with anything. no I did not catch a cheating friend or other lame example etc.

Could anybody please help me with this - honestly I don't even fully comprehend what the question means. irritating.

In the spirit of the thread --

what about the question: Tell me when your ethics were tested?

uggh. What a lame question. I just cannot come up with anything. no I did not catch a cheating friend or other lame example etc.

Could anybody please help me with this - honestly I don't even fully comprehend what the question means. irritating.
Can you remember a time in med school where a patient was accidentally given a wrong medication, and they would have been none the wiser had you not informed them of the mistake? That's probably what I'll use, and I don't think it sounds terribly contrived.

The point of any question is to get information. But how good is the information if the answer is the best possible spin on a true weakness. I get fact that the interviewer wants to see that you have insight of your own limitations and weaknesses. But any true weakness will make the applicant look less competitive in the eyes of the interviewer and so this is why the applicant will try to spin it either in a way that "well it used to be a weakness and not I've improved and learned from it" or maybe by calling it "a challenge" and so by changing the name, the applicant lessens the degree of negativity. If the applicant uses the former option, the interviewers (having already seen this approach to get out of a tough question) then might say something like: "well tell me a CURRENT weakness that you have" and so we are back to square one.

Yes it's important to know one's own weaknesses as that's the only way we can improve on them, but do PD's really want to hear the true weakness and at what point do they start taking off points for said weakness.

Example: common problems applicants might have
Applicant --> (perception on behalf of the interviewer of the applicant)
(a) Difficulty speaking up for myself/hold my tongue eventhough I know I'm right --> pushover, will be a weaker resident as collegues/pts/family will take advantage of him/her.. applicant is not a leader

(b) Difficulty multitasking/want to finish one thing before starting another task --> in specialties like EM which depend on multitaking... well this applicant obviously lacks the key ingredient in becoming an efficient EM doc

(c) Perfectionist --> Go back to the multitasking arguement plus applicant might not be a good team player

(d) Any specific specialty of medicine or procedures or specific area of knowledge that the applicant might not know as well --> Yes, residency is to learn these things but now I might have doubts about his/her becoming an efficient resident and being able to be at par with the other residents. Shouldn't this applicant learned that in clinical rotations... isn't that basic?

(e) Difficulty dealing with difficult patients (i.e. frequent-flyer ER pts who are homeless/have BS complaints/drug seeking/annoying family) --> if this is an EM applicant or even FM.... well this resident will be seeing these type of pts every shift, now I have doubts about him/her being able to deal with them in an efficient manner and getting work done --> Maybe I should consider someone else.

EM interviewers sometimes ask a similar type of question and that is the "what is the most difficult type of pt to treat and deal with in your experience?" You also have to spin this as this will bring you back to scenario (e).

Maybe I have been overthinking this question and this issue. Maybe the interviewers don't always have negative reactions to these answers, but perception is reality and maybe sometimes the interviewer might not even know he/she is doing it but after this question, they now start to have doubts about the applicant.

Really, what exactly is an acceptable weakness answer without spinning it. Last year I had interviewers ask me this question at about 1/2 of my interviews. I think I said choice (a) and tried to spin it saying that I've worked on this during my clinical rotations and during my intern year and don't see it as a weakness anymore.

The point of any question is to get information. But how good is the information if the answer is the best possible spin on a true weakness. I get fact that the interviewer wants to see that you have insight of your own limitations and weaknesses. But any true weakness will make the applicant look less competitive in the eyes of the interviewer and so this is why the applicant will try to spin it either in a way that "well it used to be a weakness and not I've improved and learned from it" or maybe by calling it "a challenge" and so by changing the name, the applicant lessens the degree of negativity. If the applicant uses the former option, the interviewers (having already seen this approach to get out of a tough question) then might say something like: "well tell me a CURRENT weakness that you have" and so we are back to square one.

Yes it's important to know one's own weaknesses as that's the only way we can improve on them, but do PD's really want to hear the true weakness and at what point do they start taking off points for said weakness.

Example: common problems applicants might have
Applicant --> (perception on behalf of the interviewer of the applicant)
(a) Difficulty speaking up for myself/hold my tongue eventhough I know I'm right --> pushover, will be a weaker resident as collegues/pts/family will take advantage of him/her.. applicant is not a leader

(b) Difficulty multitasking/want to finish one thing before starting another task --> in specialties like EM which depend on multitaking... well this applicant obviously lacks the key ingredient in becoming an efficient EM doc

(c) Perfectionist --> Go back to the multitasking arguement plus applicant might not be a good team player

(d) Any specific specialty of medicine or procedures or specific area of knowledge that the applicant might not know as well --> Yes, residency is to learn these things but now I might have doubts about his/her becoming an efficient resident and being able to be at par with the other residents. Shouldn't this applicant learned that in clinical rotations... isn't that basic?

(e) Difficulty dealing with difficult patients (i.e. frequent-flyer ER pts who are homeless/have BS complaints/drug seeking/annoying family) --> if this is an EM applicant or even FM.... well this resident will be seeing these type of pts every shift, now I have doubts about him/her being able to deal with them in an efficient manner and getting work done --> Maybe I should consider someone else.

EM interviewers sometimes ask a similar type of question and that is the "what is the most difficult type of pt to treat and deal with in your experience?" You also have to spin this as this will bring you back to scenario (e).

Maybe I have been overthinking this question and this issue. Maybe the interviewers don't always have negative reactions to these answers, but perception is reality and maybe sometimes the interviewer might not even know he/she is doing it but after this question, they now start to have doubts about the applicant.

Really, what exactly is an acceptable weakness answer without spinning it. Last year I had interviewers ask me this question at about 1/2 of my interviews. I think I said choice (a) and tried to spin it saying that I've worked on this during my clinical rotations and during my intern year and don't see it as a weakness anymore.

While I appreciate your thoughts in this, I think you are looking too much into it. I think in the end, interviewers should realize we are human beings. As long as you have thought this through, I think mentioning a genuine weakness that you dont perceive will affect your residency training should be okay. You can always say I am working on it, and I think it should hopefully not be a problem by the time I start residency. I think program directors (anyone actually) may appreciate a honest response as long as you arent going to be a real threat to their patients/team, and the fact that you are working towards overcoming it.

Yes, the fact remains it is a stupid question. You could find out more about a person by sitting and having a discussion about politics with them for 30 minutes, but most interviewers won't do this. These stock interview questions which everyone prepares "positive" answers for provide no insight into a person's thoughts or behaviors.

Yes, the fact remains it is a stupid question. You could find out more about a person by sitting and having a discussion about politics with them for 30 minutes, but most interviewers won't do this. These stock interview questions which everyone prepares "positive" answers for provide no insight into a person's thoughts or behaviors.

From what I hear, they arent asked very often as well (the stock questions). I'm just hoping that most of my interviews will be chilled out. Lets see what happens.

Bullets. (Movie reference)

As others have pointed out, it's a no-win question, because by definition you are forced to talk poorly about yourself, regardless of how you spin it. I think the intent of the question is to see if you've done any self-analysis in order to improve yourself. I think the best approach is to just pick one of your weaknesses (that does not involve anything illegal) and be upfront with it. Rather than try to spin it into a positive, talk about how you are trying to overcome/fix said weakness.

For instance, I've started wearing bullet-proof vests everywhere I go...

A vest doesn't protect your head. Nor do they generally give great side coverage. I'd re-think your attempt to overcome....... ;)

A vest doesn't protect your head. Nor do they generally give great side coverage. I'd re-think your attempt to overcome....... ;)

"What if they shot you in the face?"
"That's a risk we were willing to take..."

Anyway, gotta start somewhere.